[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aldon Smith what to do.

Cowboyz1

What would you do with Aldon Smith   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Aldon Smith if you were coach would you?

• Bench him for this game. Send a message
    • Have a talk with him and let him play
    • Send his butt home and suspend him for at least this week. No Pay.
    • Nothing, let the NFL deal with it otherwise line him up on Sunday
    • Bench him for multiple games
    • Have him run timed coffin corners all practice, bench him.
    • Trade him

If your good, your golden. No consequences for the talented. We see it everywhere. From Johnny football to all over the NFL. We need to take a stand and stop this crap. I believe if we take things away from them it may stop. Until then hell, fine, slap on the wrist.

Take some games, money and wins as a result of them being out and I guarantee you the team and organization will get the behavior to stop. Same with Suh. Suspend him. Fines are crap.

Edited by Cowboyz1

What up cowboyz seems I am always on the other side of your arguments. For myself, the situation lies in the fact is he preforming at work? If yes then no HUGH deal...if his off the field habits are effecting his work then we can start talking about all this other crap. I had a dui early in life as well and am certainly glad my company did not cut me. That would have been so devastating. As young individuals we make mistakes, in fact we make a lot of them learning to be an adult. At 22 I definitely made dumb mistakes...so my question to you would be do we hold all people accountable and punish people for their mistakes or do we educate them?

Obviously my thought is that we educate them for first offences then take more severe repercussions to see if it continues being a problem.

For those that are on the he is a role model scenario...really shut the chives up, no athlete is any better then any of us, they are just more in the public eye. That in itself does not make them a role model and if you can not educate your children otherwise I do not know where to begin.

Have a great day go Steelers!

The NFL is a business, and is acutely aware of its public image. It also deals with a very powerful union. They understand that what Smith did is a high profile, hot button matter. Getting pinched for drunk driving is going to raise a red flag, but what Smith did rises to a whole new level in that he hit a tree and was found asleep behind the wheel and by all accounts had his foot on the gas even after the crash - and then you add that he had pot in the car also, that while tolerance is growing is still illegal in almost all states as well as a prohibited substance per the NFL CBA.

While SF may do nothing, I'd guess that both the team and the league will let the legal system shake the whole thing out and then take action. This is not Smith's first transgression with drinking and driving since joining the NFL, and the circumstances are egregious.

I'd guess that he'll see discipline and just because the consequences are not immediate doesn't mean nothing will result. It's probably pretty reasonable that he's going to draw some time away from the game as a result.

This is a prime example of why pot should be legal. Unless a person was between the car and the tree at the wrong time nobody was harmed in this case. If kids were on their way to school at the time, well now is as good a time as any to learn to get out of the way.

Edited by MikesVikes

What up cowboyz seems I am always on the other side of your arguments. For myself, the situation lies in the fact is he preforming at work? If yes then no HUGH deal...if his off the field habits are effecting his work then we can start talking about all this other crap. I had a dui early in life as well and am certainly glad my company did not cut me. That would have been so devastating. As young individuals we make mistakes, in fact we make a lot of them learning to be an adult. At 22 I definitely made dumb mistakes...so my question to you would be do we hold all people accountable and punish people for their mistakes or do we educate them?

Obviously my thought is that we educate them for first offences then take more severe repercussions to see if it continues being a problem.

For those that are on the he is a role model scenario...really shut the chives up, no athlete is any better then any of us, they are just more in the public eye. That in itself does not make them a role model and if you can not educate your children otherwise I do not know where to begin.

Have a great day go Steelers!

Well said :clap:

The NFL will fine and suspend him. I really don't understand why everyone has a hard-on for the 49ers to do the suspending and fining? It's the NFL's policy not the teams.

This.... And everyone acting like its the first time anything like this has ever happened is baffling. I mean people play through there "APPEAL" of wrong doings all the time. Hell Marshawn Lynch has a pending trial that miraculously keeps getting pushed back for a DUI he had a year ago. No one seems to worried about Carroll making a point of his STAR RB before anything is forced to happen. Isn't it the norm these days to bend said rules until the league mandates the suspension. :shrug: Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Well said :clap: couldn't agree more on all accounts!

This.... And everyone acting like its the first time anything like this has ever happened is baffling. I mean people play through there "APPEAL" of wrong doings all the time. Hell Marshawn Lynch has a pending trial that miraculously keeps getting pushed back for a DUI he had a year ago. No one seems to worried about Carroll making a point of his STAR RB before anything is forced to happen. Isn't it the norm these days to bend said rules until the league mandates the suspension. :shrug:

The whole "but all my friends are doing it" argument never worked with my parents.

just because it's the norm doesn't make it right Harbaugh will make sure one of his best defenders is on the field until the NFL says he's suspended. Some organizations go ahead and suspend players for making racist remarks and stupid actions and are provocative about it. Other just try to win as many games as the can. I'm sure the Seahawks had no influence on Lynch's trial getting pushed until later Dec and I bet once that time rolls around it gets pushed back again, "due to the holidays"

Edited by Zooty

The whole "but all my friends are doing it" argument never worked with my parents.

just because it's the norm doesn't make it right Harbaugh will make sure one of his best defenders is on the field until the NFL says he's suspended. Some organizations go ahead and suspend players for making racist remarks and stupid actions and are provocative about it. Other just try to win as many games as the can. I'm sure the Seahawks had no influence on Lynch's trial getting pushed until later Dec and I bet once that time rolls around it gets pushed back again, "due to the holidays"

I am in no way saying it is right just that it is what teams have been doing right or wrong. I really don't care who influenced what in anyones case just making a point that everyone is brow beating Harbaugh that you gotta suspend him send him home make an example. When there are plenty others out there Lynch included that no action is being taken by the team so why is this any different?

I really don't understand why everyone has a hard-on for the 49ers to do the suspending and fining?

I'm guessing their coach being vocal in criticizing other teams for drug use suspensions has something to do with it. :shrug:

It seems the 49ers are free to act out as they want, someone seemingly insinuated the CBA prevents this, I'm not sure about that. Teams still suspend and discipline their players all the time (San Fran suspended Brandon Jacobs last year; and Demarcus Dobbs for a DUI).

Regardless, Harbaugh's "above reproach" comment now predictably makes him come across as a bigger chives than already perceived.

Edited by Bobby Brown

The NFL will fine and suspend him. I really don't understand why everyone has a hard-on for the 49ers to do the suspending and fining? It's the NFL's policy not the teams.

I see this side of the argument, and the NFL will indeed address the issue. However, as the Niners(or whatever team), it is your player. He is representing your team as much as he is the NFL. If you don't address the issue and simply sit back and let the NFL do it, you run the risk of appearing as if it doesn't matter because the player in an all-pro. However, I also see the reasoning in waiting for the NFL to handle it, as the player could conceivably be suspended twice, once by his team, once by the NFL. Perhaps the NFL should take any team mandated suspensions into consideration when they mete out their punishment, thus allowing the teams to make their own immediate statement while not double-whammying the player.

Edited by Tripleshot

The real issue is that neither Smith nor Lynch has been convicted in court yet. Once that happens, the league/team can act. I guess that there's always a chance that the team suspends a player before the trial and then the player somehow isn't convicted, the player then sues his own team for lost wages, emotional distress, etc.. Damn lawyers!

Edited by Tripleshot

The real issue is that neither SMith nor lYnch has been convicted in court yet. Once that happens, the league/team can act. I guess that there's always a chance that the team suspends a player before the trial and then the player somehow isn't convicted, the player then sues his own team for lost wages, emotional distress, etc.. Damn lawyers!

agreed

Huh :crazy: and who the chives is Bo? Have another there buddy :brew:

Play by the rules," Harbaugh said he told his players. "And you always want to be above reproach. Especially when you're good, because you don't want people to come back and say they're winning because they're cheating. ... So we want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules. Because if you cheat to win, then you've already lost, according to Bo Schembechler.

--Jim Harbaugh you buyin? :brew:

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Play by the rules," Harbaugh said he told his players. "And you always want to be above reproach. Especially when you're good, because you don't want people to come back and say they're winning because they're cheating. ... So we want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules. Because if you cheat to win, then you've already lost, according to Bo Schembechler.

--Jim Harbaugh you buyin? :brew:

First Round's on me.... bottoms up :brew:

If Aldon Smith wants to waste his life away drinking and smokin that's fine with me. However, once he takes his reckless arse out on the street drunk running into trees it becomes our problem. Drinking and driving should carry harsh consequences because what if he kills your kid or your family member? What then? How many people have to be killed before we as a society create a zero tolerance policy when it comes to this. Europe has it right, I lived in England for a few years and they have laws that carry some serious bite. You can be charged with drunk and "In Charge" which means if you have your keys on you and you have the ability to drive your under arrest. Drunk driving is basically attempted murder in my book. If you get behind the wheel drunk your may as well be wielding a deadly weapon. You can't be more stupid then driving drunk. We probably all have done it but now that I have seen what can happen it should be dealt with far more harshly.

So IMO, Aldon Smith just as well could have hit one of your loved ones instead of a tree. I just see too many people, innocent people effected by one idiot who thinks it's cool to get loaded and drive home. Worse yet, there is NO excuses for NFL players to drive drunk because of all the resources they have in place to get players home safely. I just don't get how we tolerate such acts and just shrug our shoulders until the guy kills someone. Then and only then do we get upset. Why wait?

That's how I see it.

• Like 1

If Aldon Smith wants to waste his life away drinking and smokin that's fine with me. However, once he takes his reckless arse out on the street drunk running into trees it becomes our problem. Drinking and driving should carry harsh consequences because what if he kills your kid or your family member? What then? How many people have to be killed before we as a society create a zero tolerance policy when it comes to this. Europe has it right, I lived in England for a few years and they have laws that carry some serious bite. You can be charged with drunk and "In Charge" which means if you have your keys on you and you have the ability to drive your under arrest. Drunk driving is basically attempted murder in my book. If you get behind the wheel drunk your may as well be wielding a deadly weapon. You can't be more stupid then driving drunk. We probably all have done it but now that I have seen what can happen it should be dealt with far more harshly.

So IMO, Aldon Smith just as well could have hit one of your loved ones instead of a tree. I just see too many people, innocent people effected by one idiot who thinks it's cool to get loaded and drive home. Worse yet, there is NO excuses for NFL players to drive drunk because of all the resources they have in place to get players home safely. I just don't get how we tolerate such acts and just shrug our shoulders until the guy kills someone. Then and only then do we get upset. Why wait?

That's how I see it.

Agree the rules should be harsh as possible. However, it's not the same as attempted murder. Most of the time, danger is the last thing on your mind....it's about having a good time.

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter. People need to fear losing EVERYTHING if they put lives at risk in that way. You're on point with the severity. Don't let it be an option anymore.

Edited by Endzone Is Near