[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ethics question: making a 'blocking' WW claim

Deadwood

My opponent this week has a bye for DST. What do you guys think about claiming the top available defense and sitting them on my bench? It's thin pickings in the FA pool for our league and I can afford the spot.

While doing so is technically within the rules, I'm not sure if it's considered unethical. It's a long-running money league and I don't recall it ever coming up before. I thought I'd confer with the masses to get a consensus before I actually tried it.

When you say churn, you mean do it constantly and every week? I'd only intend to do it this one week and that's it.

I think he means just that... you pick them up just for this week so your opponent CAN'T and then dump them next week.

No, churning is when your league has a waiver lockout and you add/drop teams to get them locked out. I'm in one for example that once a player is dropped, he cannot be picked up until the next week. If you did this to each defense, your opponent wouldn't be able to grab one unless he beat you to it and have to go with a blank. That's churning, and it's very much bullchives. However, if you are picking up one and are willing to burn the roster spot for the week, that's up to you.

• Like 5

OK, thanks for clarifying.

My league has FA auction dates four times a week, so If I pick up and drop, that team/player is available the next day.

My intention is simply to pick up the top available defense, sit them in one of my bench slots for the week, and then (most likely) cut them next Tuesday.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

My league has FA auction dates four times a week, so If I pick up and drop, that team/player is available the next day.

My intention is simply to pick up the top available defense, sit them in one of my bench slots for the week, and then (most likely) cut them next Tuesday.

I think it's a bit petty, borderline unfair. But the good news is that you don't know any better than he does which Defense might score some points in a given week. I'd kinda like to think it would come back to haunt you when the other team he picks up runs back a fumble or two!

:rolleyes:

Edited by BeachBum
  • Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with it as long as it's not 'churning' (I learned a new word today). I also agree that D's are not something I would even bother doing this over unless there was only a few available.

I prefer to use my bench to acquire players who will help my own team, either now or stashed down the road. I do not think the move discussed above is unethical, but I think your efforts would be better spent improving your own team rather than jacking with an opponent.

I for one would never try to block another team. I even make sure that all teams have drafted a starting QB before I take a backup, and never snag players off the WW if I think another team could use them more. What fun is winning if everyone doesn't feel good about their team?

Na, its good of you to make sure you're not doing anything shady, but if you feel that making a move improves your teams chances (even if by making sure another team doesn't get better) than you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

There is nothing ethically wrong with this at all. Now, depending on the nature of one's league - a bunch of buddies in a"friendly" local vs. a bunch of strangers in a high stakes league. Either would be moral but obviously more acceptable in the league full of strangers.

As a strategical ploy, I have no problem with it, however at this juncture of the season it is kind of hard to pinpoint who the object of your "blocking" technique would be worthwhile on.

You start worrying too much about your competitors lineups, you can trip up your own. And of course, the key to all of this is you need to be RIGHT about the player, or defense in this case you are sniping. Otherwise you just end up looking foolish as the dude kicks ass with his #2 waiver pick he would have never had without your help.

Playing God is a tough business. I'd steer clear.

I think it's a bit petty, borderline unfair.

In a FA auction waiver I tend to think that it is impossible, by definition, for any transaction to be "unfair". If he wants to use budget in an attempt to hurt his opponent, that is a valid strategy IMO.

Good points all around. Thanks to everyone for the input. The argument that I should 'worry more about my team than his' resonated strongly, and I tend to agree. Probably just over-thinking on my part. I now feel it is ethical, but my efforts and roster slot should probably be spent on my own team.

Edited by Deadwood

The way I see it, if it is not important enough for the league to include in the rules or bylaws then it 100% fair game....I am completely fine with it!

Disagree and I can't stand when people use it to justify clearly unethical and damaging behavior. It is almost impossible to forsee all of the complications that can arise.

Yes, in some cases you can certainly say that it should have been included in the rules, but in the case of something really damaging, unethical or unfair, your league shouldn't have to suffer because you didn't have a 30 page bylaws written by a lawyer.

• Like 1

Disagree and I can't stand when people use it to justify clearly unethical and damaging behavior. It is almost impossible to forsee all of the complications that can arise.

Yes, in some cases you can certainly say that it should have been included in the rules, but in the case of something really damaging, unethical or unfair, your league shouldn't have to suffer because you didn't have a 30 page bylaws written by a lawyer.

Waiver rules shouldn't take much more than a few sentences to include in rules or bylaws......and on this topic he would be in the "right" anyway, why shouldn't someone be allowed to do as they wish with their roster??? Fantasy football isn't rocket science! But I agree with you on the lawyer part, that would be pricey....... :pc:

I don't think it's cheating but I think it turns the fantasy gods against you. Last year in my playoffs I picked up the top ww qb when my opponent had an inured RG3. He had no choice but to pick up Kirk Cousins..and the dude torched me. Good luck sir.

Pretty much agree with the consensus, it is not unethical but is a little shady. If you're willing to waste your WW pick (use FA bidding dollars, pay roster move fee if there is one etc.) and stash the guy on your roster all week fine. Of course its hard to predict who the top defense will be.

Like somebody else said, I only make roster moves that benefit my team, a player that can help now or maybe in the future. I do not bother trying to make moves to block others from acquiring a player I do not need. (We charge $2 per player added, I usually average at least one move a week, no reason to spend more money on some very questionable strategy.)

Good points all around. Thanks to everyone for the input. The argument that I should 'worry more about my team than his' resonated strongly, and I tend to agree. Probably just over-thinking on my part. I now feel it is ethical, but my efforts and roster slot should probably be spent on my own team.

You nailed it.