[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As commish should I automatically fix rosters that started people on a bye

FatalFact

I have some poor league owners who often don't check their roster in time to yank players on a bye week. I had somebody get mad at me once saying as commisioner it was my responsibility to prevent that from happening. They said it provided an unfair advantage to those teams that play against said retards because they basically get a bye week themselves in FF. What do you all think?

*this is pre kickoff editing I would be doing..

Edited by FatalFact

Short answer - no.

Long answer - really, no.

If owners are that lazy to not switch out bye week players and the rest of the league doesn't like it, don't invite them back next year. Unless your league rules specifically state that you have the authority to replace bye week players on another teams rosters, this is not your concern. Go after them on your league message board and rip them a new one if you want, but don't modify their lineups.

• Like 2

Concur with the above, it is not your job to modify their lineups. If they are an absentee owner, do not invite them back next year, or, if you find someone to take the team this year, vote to remove them this year and have a new owner take over so the team is at least managed.

• Like 1

Agree with others, that is not the commissioners job. You could have rules that penalize for an incomplete roster and have that also cover players on bye. But that can get overly complicated (is a roster incomplete if a player is out, what happens if he is a late scratch from the game).

off topic...

I always wondered what people mean by "do not invite them back next year". Do you all send out invitations each year to recurring members and ask them if they still want to be in that league?

I only play in one local league where most owners are lifers. We usually know when they won't be playing again and look for new owners before that. We've never had to boot somebody from the league, which is really want you all mean by "do not invite them back next year". A month or so before each season we do send out an email about the upcoming season, any rule changes, when keepers need to be set, when the draft will be etc. In a way I guess that is an invitation, but its more a reminder and if we don't hear back from people we'll follow up to make sure they are not quitting the league.

Agreed with everyone here. I'm commissioner and had to tell a very close friend last year that he wasn't going to be invited back this year because he didn't change his lineup and continually played bye week players.

Some people just don't need to be in this game because no matter how much money is on the line, they don't care at all. Those are the types we don't want in our league.

If the League owners are first timeers in teh age range of say 6 years old to maybe 10 years old, then you could consider it. But if you are actually playing with adults, then it's their own responsibility to set their lineup. If they can't handle that, then you should start looking for replacements. Or simply take over the entire management of all rosters in the league each week... that would be fun for everyone too!

Only if (i) it's expressly stated at the outset of the season that you will be doing it and (ii) you actually do it every single time there is a roster issue.

Another consideration - once you do this, and the owners know you are doing it, some of them will simply stop setting their lineups because they know you'll do it for them. Becomes a lot more work that you'd think.

Nope...no way...for the reasons stated above but also consider the other team owners. Setting rosters for/against the others will most likely set off a string of events, heated reactions, locusts, plagues, etc., that will ruin your league.

Nope...no way...for the reasons stated above but also consider the other team owners. Setting rosters for/against the others will most likely set off a string of events, heated reactions, locusts, plagues, etc., that will ruin your league.

Yep, was going to say this...

Would you rather your leaguemates be pissed at a lazy owner, or be pissed at you for messing with other people's lineups?

Say you replaced one team's bye player and that resulted in a win, and/or you set another team's bye player with one that causes them to lose over other alternatives. You're just asking for trouble from your leaguemates when you make other people's lineup decisions (or lack thereof) for them.

A commish cannot remain impartial like they're supposed to, when they insert themselves as a source of the conflict.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

I disagree a bit . . . first time an owner does this, you do nothing except chew him out, and he gets a zero at that position. Second time, it's time to look for a replacement owner to take over immediately. Third time, it's time that the commish take over the team and submit line ups the rest of the year. I've seen to many absentee owners that are out of contention ruin the playoff race at the end of the year for those still trying.

Edited by CaptainHook

Short answer - no.

Long answer - really, no.

If owners are that lazy to not switch out bye week players and the rest of the league doesn't like it, don't invite them back next year. Unless your league rules specifically state that you have the authority to replace bye week players on another teams rosters, this is not your concern. Go after them on your league message board and rip them a new one if you want, but don't modify their lineups.

+1

I had a feeling the answer should be no... I do however seem to have difficulty getting 10 people to consistantly give a chives. Every year we end up have 6 teams that really try and 4 that are ff slugs.. I have change the makeup of our league a bunch in the 13 years I have been running it. So the answer isn't as simple as just plug somebody else in..

Agreed with several posters above: email them and holler at them for being idiots, but work on finding more serious owners for next year. Dud owners can kill a league, as it is the competitiveness that makes this most enjoyable. I won a league once with three owners who gave up by midseason, plus 1-2 others who were mostly phoning it in, and it was a hollow victory, even with the $150 I pocketed in what was largely chump money.

off topic...

I always wondered what people mean by "do not invite them back next year". Do you all send out invitations each year to recurring members and ask them if they still want to be in that league?

Well we send an email to everyone asking if they're back in before we start setting a date for the draft but it's not like we mail out a pretty little card or something asking people to RSVP by a certain date.

While it's unfortunate it's not you're responsibility to set anyone's line up unless they contact you beforehand and ask you to do so. Even if it makes the playing field more fair it leads to more problems than it solves. Better to choose your league 'mates more carefully next Summer.

I believe in my work league I established "absentee owner" rules in case people quit mid-season. Don't believe we ever needed it but good to have just in case. Creating new rules after the season starts is bad karma. Regarding invitations. I always contact previous owners and gave them 1st dibs on rejoining, then openned it up to the readership [forum leagues] or in the case of our work league we'd recruit people.

Edited by MothAudio

The first thing every owner should do ON TUESDSAY is set their line up. Even if there are some iffy decisions ... get something in there just in case you get busy.

Or get kidnapped for ransom, hit by a bus, abducted by aliens, OD on heroin, etc.

I have some poor league owners who often don't check their roster in time to yank players on a bye week. I had somebody get mad at me once saying as commisioner it was my responsibility to prevent that from happening. They said it provided an unfair advantage to those teams that play against said retards because they basically get a bye week themselves in FF. What do you all think?

*this is pre kickoff editing I would be doing..

If you do this, you are opening Pandora's box because you will be expected to ALWAYS do it for anyone, anytime. This will keep your "lazy" GMs lazy and will piss off the others. I can't imagine a worse idea than doing what you suggest.

I completely disagree that it is not a "Commissioner's responsibility to adjust line-ups". It is absolutely a commissioner's responsibility to ensure the league's competitive balance. I agree that the owner should be immediately removed if it happens more than once, but every commissioner should have the right to adjust line-ups when a starting line-up is not submitted written into the league's by-laws.

Having some owners compete against a full line-up in weeks 1-3, while others compete against incomplete line-ups in other weeks completely destroys the competitive balance of any league. As its a commissioner's duty to prevent "collusion", wildy unfair trades, and other infractions under the premise of ensuring "competitive balance", how can anyone argue its not their responsibility to ensure "absentee owners" don't impact the competitive balance?

In all the "high dollar" leagues I am in on-line, they all reserve the right to adjust rosters or take ownership of a team if an owner is not submitting a line-up and since 1993 (we have always had it written into the by-laws) I have consistently reviewed each team's line-up to ensure "active participation". Hasn't been an issue since we raised the league entry fee up to remove the deadwood back in 1996.

Again, ensuring competitive balance is precisely what a commissioner should do and a line-up missing players can severely negatively impact it.

This is one of the reasons I won't compete in a league with an entry fee below $100, as those who complain about the money are just not that committed.

I would text them about an hour before the game i they have players in their lineup on a bye, if they dont change it themselves you should just kick them out of the league next year. Don't change their rosters yourself though

I would text them about an hour before the game i they have players in their lineup on a bye, if they dont change it themselves you should just kick them out of the league next year. Don't change their rosters yourself though

I have a beeper for my commish to reach me. :nerd: <---NERD!