[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In case anybody cares, the Raiders have released Matt Flynn

Wolverines Fan

Per rotoworld:

Raiders released QB Matt Flynn.

It's a stunning admission of defeat from out-of-his-depth GM Reggie McKenzie, but hardly surprising considering coach Dennis Allen's barely-concealed disdain for his would-be starting quarterback.

Flynn had tumbled behind Matt McGloin — a painful to watch quarterback in college — on the depth chart, and was embarrassingly inept in his Week 4 spot start against the Redskins. The fact that he's bringing home a guaranteed $6.5 million this season is one of the most embarrassing GM gaffes in recent memory.

Between his money wasted in Flynn and fourth-round misfire on Tyler Wilson, McKenzie has proven he has no idea what he's doing with quarterbacks.

Barely a No. 2 level talent, it's possible Flynn will latch back on with the Packers, who lack a viable backup behind Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

It's the same reason the Hawks traded him to Oakland for a 7th round draft pick. They lessened the cap hit and re-signed players they wanted to keep. Sure it wasn't a good signing by the Seahawks or the Raiders, but if you think the guy has starting QB potential; you take a chance and move on after it doesn't work.

When he was the hot free agent QB 2 years ago; there were a lot of folks who swore he wasn't Kolb 2.0

Edited by Bobby Brown

amen. does anyone know how much this guy has earned per NFL start? gota be a ridiculous amount

Is it any different than the tens of millions that former highf irst round QB busts made before the new CBA? Sure, those QBs made more starts, but 6.5M for one year is nowhere near as crippling to your team's future as Flynn for one year.

Is it any different than the tens of millions that former highf irst round QB busts made before the new CBA? Sure, those QBs made more starts, but 6.5M for one year is nowhere near as crippling to your team's future as Flynn for one year.

I'd say one difference is those first round QB busts don't usually get signed to a fat contract with another team with the expectation that they start. He couldn't beat out rookie Wilson in SEA last year, but then Riaders pay him boatload. Then he cannot beat out Pryor (who few see as an NFL starter) this year.

At least with Kolb people saw the ARZ experiment (more starts and a body of work to prove he wasn't that good) and didn't give him another try.

Paging Bronco Billy... :woot:

Sorry, had to do it.

Because I've never been wrong prior to this? :lol:

Still think the kid can play - or could - but just saw that GB wasn't 't interested in reacquiring him because they are concerned about his elbow. That explains a lot. Hadn't realized it was that bad and apparently chronic (that's how R Wilson got his chance to bypass Flynn so quickly as well as Pryor this year).

Because I've never been wrong prior to this? :lol:

Still think the kid can play - or could - but just saw that GB wasn't 't interested in reacquiring him because they are concerned about his elbow. That explains a lot. Hadn't realized it was that bad and apparently chronic (that's how R Wilson got his chance to bypass Flynn so quickly as well as Pryor this year).

:brow:

Do you think the Vikings would have had interest if they didn't snare Freeman?

:brow:

Do you think the Vikings would have had interest if they didn't snare Freeman?

No, I would guess Flynn is probably done. He never had a strong arm, but he stood tall and was hyper-accurate. Now with this apparent permanent elbow issue I don't see him getting another chance. Even if he does, I can't see him amounting to anything.

His still does have his claim to lasting fame though.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'd say one difference is those first round QB busts don't usually get signed to a fat contract with another team with the expectation that they start. He couldn't beat out rookie Wilson in SEA last year, but then Riaders pay him boatload. Then he cannot beat out Pryor (who few see as an NFL starter) this year.

At least with Kolb people saw the ARZ experiment (more starts and a body of work to prove he wasn't that good) and didn't give him another try.

Raiders restructured an existing contract. He was already going to make a boatload, they actually gave themselves a small benefit by doing so because it took money off next year. And $6 mil isn't all that much for a QB nowadays. It's the cost of being in the NFL and needing a QB. Kolb got more, Sanchez got more on his last restructure, hell Josh Freeman just got 3 mil to play a partial season when they know he still has to learn the playbook.

The Texans were too slow, thus robbing their fams of seeing a third Texan QB throw a pick six this season.

I hear Favre is on his way back from Florida where he allegedly discovered some sort of fountain...so hope is not yet lost.