[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is CBS' obsession with the Texans DST?!?!?!

Endzone Is Near

All year long they've been ranking them highly and YET AGAIN they are in the top 5 rankings of all three analysts (Richard has them at #2!!!) for week 7 rankings. What gives??????? They scored me a whopping NEGATIVE FIVE points against St Louis and I swore I was about to finally drop the hell out of them!

But at 3-3, and injuries to Calvin, Cobb, and Murrray I am desperate for points anyway I can get them. Seriously, what is the deal with this Texans love affair? I don't get it, but at the same time I can't drop them if there's something I'm not aware of. Are they actually still worth holding?

The first problem is spending much time looking at what the "experts" at CBS offer for fantasy advice. I'm on a league there, but use other sites for advice/info.

Second unless your defense scores pretty high like a WR/RB, there are probably other spots on your roster worth the time and analysis. Defenses are one of the most inconsistent scoring positions and very hard to predict.

I know they were ranked high going into the season, but have not done well so far. Some people have a hard time adjusting their initial rankings and just keep them high expecting them to reach that level.

The first problem is spending much time looking at what the "experts" at CBS offer for fantasy advice. I'm on a league there, but use other sites for advice/info.

Second unless your defense scores pretty high like a WR/RB, there are probably other spots on your roster worth the time and analysis. Defenses are one of the most inconsistent scoring positions and very hard to predict.

I know they were ranked high going into the season, but have not done well so far. Some people have a hard time adjusting their initial rankings and just keep them high expecting them to reach that level.

It's not that I only look at CBS. But I've looked at their rankings along with others for years now. For the most part, those guys are very knowledgeable, which makes me wonder why they continue to have faith in Houston. There has to be a reason, so I was just looking for feedback.

Owners who have the Chiefs DST would completely disagree with your philosophy (I believe someone just posted about them saving their season a couple days ago). I actually had 27 points scored on me by the chiefs last week. So yes, like I said, a worthy defense would be very valuable to me with most of my studs injured. In my league, you have to fight tooth and nail for every point you can get.

To each his own, in my league even having the best defense will not save a season if the rest of your team is bad. People win with good offensive players, QB, RB, WR, TE, not because of a great kicker or defense. I was going to post in that "KC Chiefs D/ST saved my season" thread, saying something similar.

I've looked at CBS ranking a lot too, but never thought those guys were as good as the Huddle or other dedicated fantasy sites. Doesn't help that they have 3 conflicting opinions to start, with guys often ranked 15-20 spots apart from one list to the next.

:shrug:

One of the sites I use/trust has them in the very low 20's. I have them in the mid-teens, personally.

I suppose they think that in KC, their D will HAVE to be HUGE in order to get by the Chiefs. Plus, they have J.J. Watt.

I can't say that I agree with a very high ranking but I suppose I could see how one would get there.... it's a long, winding road... but you eventually get there.

Agree with everything about the long winding road, etc.

On the other hand, my point about the DST helping salvage some wins would be true in any league. I have Stafford, McCoy, Calvin, Cobb and Murray in a 12 man league. Since 3 of those guys are crippled right now, are you telling me I no longer have a good team and should just pack it in? I can guarantee you that anyone I know who is in a competitive league would love to find a defense that could give them 10 more points a week to help fill an injury void. The skill positions don't exist....they are all taken.

FantasyPros.com had the Texans being ranked very high against STL and that was a nightmare. So its not just CBS.

I don't blame anyone for getting that one wrong. Who the phuck would've known STL would come to Houston and dominate them? Houston looked really good at home against Seattle a few weeks ago to me despite their loss. Never would've thought they'd lose to STL let alone be blown out by them!

I don't blame anyone for getting that one wrong. Who the phuck would've known STL would come to Houston and dominate them? Houston looked really good at home against Seattle a few weeks ago to me despite their loss. Never would've thought they'd lose to STL let alone be blown out by them!

And if they had jumped ship after just 5 weeks on a D that they know has talent to perform better, they'd be accused of being over-reactionary... Now that we have 6 weeks of underperfromance, and them unable to handle an offense that isn't that great, that same site has them listed this week at 20, and #9 for the rest of the season (which is a hold in case they turn it around, but downgraded to fringe starter status with the risk that they don't).

Of course, you also get what you pay for when you rely on non-pay sites for info/insight, but I think it's refreshing when rankings don't overreact before a clear trend emerges, and realize talent can easily rebound. Think AJ Green, who most wanted to downgrade after Dalton not being able to connect with him early on, but the smart ones knew that he could only underperform for so long with his elite talent. I'd rather hang on hope too long on elite talent, than to chase lesser talent that are temporarily over-performing and likely to come down to earth.

Edited by delusions of grandeur
  • Like 1