[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still going RB RB next year?

Seattle Sucks

Man, I really need to get into more 1 QB leagues. My main league that I've been in for 8 years now is a 2 QB and I can never seem to get it right. I'll end up drafting RB-WR-QB or RB-RB-QB and can never be completely set at the QB position. Then again, we also start 4 WRs so then everything turns to hell. It's a crapshoot every year with RBs, so I tried to stick to my guns this season and draft RB-WR-RB-WR-QB (Kaep). Needless to say, in an 8-man league, everyone who drafted a top tier QB within their first 3 picks is leading right now. Like we've all been saying, it's extremely circumstantial, but seems that taking a couple of projected stud WRs and 1 top tier QB does the trick for most.

Man, I really need to get into more 1 QB leagues. My main league that I've been in for 8 years now is a 2 QB and I can never seem to get it right. I'll end up drafting RB-WR-QB or RB-RB-QB and can never be completely set at the QB position. Then again, we also start 4 WRs so then everything turns to hell. It's a crapshoot every year with RBs, so I tried to stick to my guns this season and draft RB-WR-RB-WR-QB (Kaep). Needless to say, in an 8-man league, everyone who drafted a top tier QB within their first 3 picks is leading right now. Like we've all been saying, it's extremely circumstantial, but seems that taking a couple of projected stud WRs and 1 top tier QB does the trick for most.

4 wr damn. I'm in a 12 man league where we have to start 3 and I hate it...

"ended up with" as in drafted? Or acquired through trades? If you mean they drafted those players even after going QB with their first picks, then (like byroz said) I would question how many owners are in your league and their level of fantasy acumen. Are you really saying you went RB RB and did not take one of Foster, Lynch, or McCoy with either pick? :unsure:

I ended up with Spiller and Peterson. This particular draft was very strange. Mostly QBs and WRs (and one TE) were taken in the first round. Everyone, except for two owners, are experienced players. Everyone came prepared with their player rankings and cheat sheets. When I nabbed, Peterson, Spiller, and Brady with my first three picks, I thought I had the season in the bag; I'm ranked number 11 right now overall with a 2-4 record. All of the progressive thinkers who went QB first are ahead of me. The rest of my team right now is: E. Lacy, A. Johnson, J. Blackmon, M. Colson, V. Jackson, J. Gordon, J. Cameron, J. Finley, M. Prayter, Chiefs DST, A. Luck, and the Wes Welker. I picked up Blackmon and Gordon on waivers. I drafted M. Colston and A. Johnson, and they haven't panned out as expected. Spiller has been a bust, and Peterson isn't performing as well as expected. Brady hasn't been performing well either, and when I finally decided to start Luck, he layed egg against SD. I've had some bad luck with this team for sure, but with a roster this talented, I still feel like I have a shot moving forward.

Two years ago it seemed every starting QB was money. Hell, even Eli put up 4900+ yards and 29 TDs(as if that wasn't a sure enough sign that something was seriously abnormal about that season). Gronk and Graham rewrote the definition of what a stud tight end season is. So of course, everyone drafted QBs and those two TEs early last year after numerous preseason articles exclaiming how fantasy drafting has been changed forever and where did it get us? At this same time last year articles were being written about how drafting QBs and The Two TE's early and expecting duplication of historic seasons was perhaps flawed in hindsight. Now here we are blasting the strategy of drafting RBs early again. Why don't we wait until the bad weather hits and see if perhaps the RBs don't start catching up with today's hot QBs before we pass judgement.

• Like 1

Depends on scoring and what the RB landscape looks like next season but what I've found this year [especially] is that I've been able to snag a good to very good player for every position except RB [unlike seasons past]. There's just so few good RBs, and to make it worse many of the "good RBs" have been busts this year - so I would be inclined, at this point, to go RB>RB next year.

The last two seasons have convinced me, that the Fantasy Football draft should be solely focused on randomly predicting which players will not be out due to injury for an extended period of time. Nothing else. I should really just quit this stupid hobby. Seriously. I'm almost there.

Depends on scoring and what the RB landscape looks like next season but what I've found this year [especially] is that I've been able to snag a good to very good player for every position except RB [unlike seasons past]. There's just so few good RBs, and to make it worse many of the "good RBs" have been busts this year - so I would be inclined, at this point, to go RB>RB next year.

:thinking:

So if "many of the 'good RBs' have been busts this year", then why would you be inclined to take TWO of this bust-prone position in a row to start your draft? What if both bust? Then you're royally screwed.

Two years ago it seemed every starting QB was money. Hell, even Eli put up 4900+ yards and 29 TDs(as if that wasn't a sure enough sign that something was seriously abnormal about that season). Gronk and Graham rewrote the definition of what a stud tight end season is. So of course, everyone drafted QBs and those two TEs early last year after numerous preseason articles exclaiming how fantasy drafting has been changed forever and where did it get us? At this same time last year articles were being written about how drafting QBs and The Two TE's early and expecting duplication of historic seasons was perhaps flawed in hindsight. Now here we are blasting the strategy of drafting RBs early again. Why don't we wait until the bad weather hits and see if perhaps the RBs don't start catching up with today's hot QBs before we pass judgement.

This precisely why I maintain maximum flexibilty on draft day. The best draft is the one where you stay ahead of the herd and capitalize on the best available value with most of your picks.

I think that the thing is, due to positional scarcity, the best value in the early rounds is most often a RB.

I went Jamaal Charles + Reggie Bush 1-2 in my League but again it depends on where you drafted. If I was later on in the 1st, I'd probably be licking my wounds with Trent Richardson and Steven Jackson.

• Like 1

:thinking:

So if "many of the 'good RBs' have been busts this year", then why would you be inclined to take TWO of this bust-prone position in a row to start your draft? What if both bust? Then you're royally screwed.

Because if you don't roll the dice then you end up with crap because the depth is so thin unlike the other positions where you can wait, check progress, and pick up a decent player off the wire [P. Rivers, J. Thomas, K.Allen, KC DEF]. It's a crap shoot for sure but that's what I do.

Because if you don't roll the dice then you end up with crap because the depth is so thin unlike the other positions where you can wait, check progress, and pick up a decent player off the wire [P. Rivers, J. Thomas, K.Allen, KC DEF]. It's a crap shoot for sure but that's what I do.

I hear what you're screamin', but the same case could be made for Gio Bernard, Bilal Powell, Knowshon Moreno, Fred Jackson, Danny Woodhead, Joique Bell, Andre Ellington, Jacquizz Rodgers and Pierre Thomas. There's 10 RBs that are all in the top-30 in 0.5 PPR leagues..... that were likely waiver wire pickups in most redraft formats.

Edited by darin3

I went with the QB-TE situation last season and it worked for awhile, but ultimately I limped into the playoffs, and was knocked out quickly due to lack of depth at the RB position. I swore I would have a minimum of 2 startable RBs on each team this year and I think I did that.

I took a "stud" RB with my first pick in both leagues. My 12 team league I drafted 8th and was astonished when Lynch was still there. On my next pick there were plenty of RBs available, but none of the "best available" guys that were showing were something I was interested in so I went with AJ Green and then grabbed Murray in the 3rd round. AJ had a few rough weeks and Murray just got injured, but up until this point I was very pleased with how my strategy ended up. I probably went light on RBs in the later rounds, but have plenty of WR depth to back me up at this point. Green and Cruz as my WR1/2 and Garcon at the flex is just fine with me.

Similarly in my 10 team I went Charles at the 6th pick, could have had McCoy, and then Julio Jones in the 2nd round followed by Forte in the 3rd. Up until Julio's injury I was pleased with this draft also. I had 2 stud starting RBs and a serviceable replacement for each BYE week as well as 3 top WRs on their respective teams: Julio, Cobb, Garcon.

I am sitting in good position in both leagues and until some injuries I didn't even see the need to try and make any moves. I still might not. Depends on how things develop the next few weeks.

All told I think the best strategy is to get value. I used a dynamic ADP type spreadsheet this year for the first time and I thought it really helped me come away with solid teams in both of my leagues. In the end if half of your team gets injured you just had an unlucky year. While I hate to use luck in fantasy football as I think there is enough research and "skill" involved, but injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. Some are more prone than others, but injuries do tend to be the luck of the draw.

Edited by Rimmytose

In my league this year where only 3 are experienced of the 12, me being the only person who has played more than 2 years and have done a draft before (not autopick) which I thought would be an advantage totally backfired. I was pick #1 so I took AP, but I thought most would take a RB in round 1. By the time my round 2 pick came around someone had taken QB-QB, QB-RB, RB-WR, or QB-WR. only 4 RBs were taken in round 1. I was left with the choice of Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Vick, or RG3 as the best QBs left. I took Luck and then turned around and took Welker with my 3rd. I was lucky to nab Vernon Davis, Stevan Ridley (which I thought was great at the time), Vick, and Nicks. The only players I have left on my team from the draft are the ones mentioned and the dallas defense, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Mendenhall. I am 1-5 right now and it frustrates me!

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE), 1 K, 1 Def.

I am definitely drafting a RB or QB in round one, probably a QB unless I am the 1st pick or a later pick and most of the QBs I want are gone. Then in round 2 I am taking a WR (unless I take a RB in round 1). I will have 2 WRs, a RB, and QB by round 5 and then take a TE. I will not have more than 2 RBs until my starting WRs, TE, and QB are taken. Its too much of a risk waisting a pick on a RB who could bust.

I hope people draft better next season to help me stick to my plan!

In my league this year where only 3 are experienced of the 12, me being the only person who has played more than 2 years and have done a draft before (not autopick) which I thought would be an advantage totally backfired. I was pick #1 so I took AP, but I thought most would take a RB in round 1. By the time my round 2 pick came around someone had taken QB-QB, QB-RB, RB-WR, or QB-WR. only 4 RBs were taken in round 1. I was left with the choice of Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Vick, or RG3 as the best QBs left. I took Luck and then turned around and took Welker with my 3rd. I was lucky to nab Vernon Davis, Stevan Ridley (which I thought was great at the time), Vick, and Nicks. The only players I have left on my team from the draft are the ones mentioned and the dallas defense, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Mendenhall. I am 1-5 right now and it frustrates me!

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE), 1 K, 1 Def.

I am definitely drafting a RB or QB in round one, probably a QB unless I am the 1st pick or a later pick and most of the QBs I want are gone. Then in round 2 I am taking a WR (unless I take a RB in round 1). I will have 2 WRs, a RB, and QB by round 5 and then take a TE. I will not have more than 2 RBs until my starting WRs, TE, and QB are taken. Its too much of a risk waisting a pick on a RB who could bust.

I hope people draft better next season to help me stick to my plan!

I think in a situation like that I would skip a QB until later as everyone already had theirs and load up on RB/WR talent. I would do this with the idea that I would trade my positions of depth to someone who had none for a solid QB.

• Like 1

I think in a situation like that I would skip a QB until later as everyone already had theirs and load up on RB/WR talent. I would do this with the idea that I would trade my positions of depth to someone who had none for a solid QB.

Thought about doing that BUT with no idea how people were gonna draft and one person already going QB-QB along with the fact everyone is new and probably not as willing to trade didn't want to risk it. Shockingly I am still left with good depth at WR granted they show up, and I pick the right one to start. It's my RBs and K that killed me this season so far, along with the fact I played the only teams that scored more than me each week

Sometimes I feel like that's where I get into trouble. I like to grab RB depth as soon as I can so that I have options, but I end up reaching for players like run DMC, MJD and Ryan Mathews. Then my WR depth is average at best and overall the team is just ok. I'm thinking I draft too many RB's for depth and need to move off into really best available almost regardless of position.

I hear what you're screamin', but the same case could be made for Gio Bernard, Bilal Powell, Knowshon Moreno, Fred Jackson, Danny Woodhead, Joique Bell, Andre Ellington, Jacquizz Rodgers and Pierre Thomas. There's 10 RBs that are all in the top-30 in 0.5 PPR leagues..... that were likely waiver wire pickups in most redraft formats.

Bernard, Powell, Moreno, Jackson, Woodhead, Joique and Frenchy were all drafted in mine...but I get what your saying in this thread

Bernard, Powell, Moreno, Jackson, Woodhead, Joique and Frenchy were all drafted in mine...but I get what your saying in this thread

I don't discount that in the least. Just throwing names out there that COULD have been available in perhaps a 10-team format or maybe a non-PPR format..... or in some cases, in many formats.

I think we can just safely say "it really depends" and leave it at that. :D

Edited by darin3

I don't discount that in the least. Just throwing names out there that COULD have been available in perhaps a 10-team format or maybe a non-PPR format..... or in some cases, in many formats.

I think we can just safely say "it really depends" and leave it at that. :D

Yeah, you make a good point. I have mostly felt that regular starting WR's are more available through free agency than RB's thata might be available after the draft. Is that always the case? Of course not and there will always be a few like Moreno this year that if you jumped on quickly can pay dividends. It just seems that quality WR's are more available year in and year out than RB's. I don't have numbers to back that up, just seems that way to me.

Yeah, you make a good point. I have mostly felt that regular starting WR's are more available through free agency than RB's thata might be available after the draft. Is that always the case? Of course not and there will always be a few like Moreno this year that if you jumped on quickly can pay dividends. It just seems that quality WR's are more available year in and year out than RB's. I don't have numbers to back that up, just seems that way to me.

It's an overly basic concept that doesn't always play out perfectly, but you have to think.... up until recently there'd be 1 RB per team that would have fantasy value. There was at least *potential* for there to be up to TWO WRs per team that had at least SOME value.

So, in theory, there were approximately twice as many valuable (again, of SOME value) WRs versus RBs.

Then, the pass-catching back became more relevant, RBBCs were born, and suddenly the RB pool DEEPENED, but it was more difficult to find the "every down" guy who was pretty much the lone bellcow.

Now that the NFL has opened up into more of a passing league, there are some teams with up to THREE WRs of value. In most cases it's still just two, but in many of those cases the "2nd best" WR holds much more value than in the past.

That all said, one could contend that the "tried and true stud WR1" should be targeted early much like the bellcow back. If you're not in a position to take a stud, every-down RB1, then you could certainly try taking WR1 first then RB1 with your second (or third if you really wanted to roll the dice) and tried to fill your roster in with guys like the ones I mentioned above. Sometimes, those guys would pan out... other times you'd need to scour the wire to find them.

There's no real roadmap.

• Like 2

Just a thought and not sure if it was touched on in any of the above posts, but next year I'd assume the top 5 picks in any order would be:

Charles, mccoy, forte, AP, lynch. With so many first round talents being busts or close to it this year: spiller Trent Morris foster etc, where will the second half of the draft go for 2014?

It seems like if you get a bottom half pick you're taking a big risk no matter what, unless you took Calvin dez etc