[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Case Keenum to start at QB for Texans

darin3

Not like it's a great matchup.... but Case Keenum will get the nod at QB for the Texans this week.

This guy has sneaky talent. If he does ANYTHING agains this D, I would put him on your radar. Heck, put him on your radar now and be ready to jump if he goes 250/2 against KC.

And just as a little background, as I covered this guy when I lived in Austin....

He's not overly impressive in terms of size (6'2" 210 lbs.) but has great touch on intermediate/deeper throws, accurate as all heck on the shorter routes, and put up video game like numbers for the University of Houston.

In each of his 4 years as a starter, he led the Cougars to an 8-5 record or better. 5,000+ yards and 44+ TDs in 3 of those seasons.

Is he a system QB? Very well could be, but I would venture a guess and say that he's better than T.J. Yates and Matt Schaub has done pretty much nothing to cement himself as the Texans starter, especially if Keenum is able to manage the pressure that the Chiefs are likely to put on him come Sunday.

What happened to Yates? I thought he was highly respected by the Texans, he performed extremely well a couple of years ago when he had to step in for a few games. Is he hurt too, or is this desperation to find a QB that hasn't thrown a pick six in October?

I was more thinking similar to Colt McCoy, but maybe that is just because they were both from Texas schools and are somewhat undersized.

Uh, so you're comparing them based on size and geography? This comparison is not even close to being apt.

Kevin Kolb ... that is all

And yeah, that is most certainly NOT all....

Kolb's best season at UH was 3,800 yards and 30 TDs.

The only similarity Kolb and Keenum have is in their last name starting with K and the fact they went to UH. Keenum is on a completely different plane if you've seen both play in similar environments.

What happened to Yates? I thought he was highly respected by the Texans, he performed extremely well a couple of years ago when he had to step in for a few games. Is he hurt too, or is this desperation to find a QB that hasn't thrown a pick six in October?

I was thinking the same thing.

So Keenum gets to make his first career NFL start on the road against the Chiefs defense. :wacko:

Good luck to him.

I was thinking the same thing.

So Keenum gets to make his first career NFL start on the road against the Chiefs defense. :wacko:

Good luck to him.

I think they know what they have in Yates. He's a solid backup with a limited ceiling but a high floor.

Perhaps by throwing him to the wolves (or in this case, the Chiefs), they will get an excellent indication of what they have in Keenum.

It's not like Schaub is going to miraculously heal and lead this team to the playoffs in this waste of a season. Why not see what they have in this kid? And if I'm absolutely off my rocker and Keenum throws 3 picks in the first quarter, they can always just put Yates in and lose 38-17.

This guy has sneaky talent.

So sneaky that it has eluded even himself. Glad I withdrew my bid on Yates in ATAP. I had a bad feeling that Kubiak might roll this direction - he's got a soft spot for Keenum.

I see Keenum as another in a line of HOU QBs whose abilities are vastly inflated by a video game O that works at the college level. On a good day he's Kevin Kolb.

So sneaky that it has eluded even himself. Glad I withdrew my bid on Yates in ATAP. I had a bad feeling that Kubiak might roll this direction - he's got a soft spot for Keenum.

I see Keenum as another in a line of HOU QBs whose abilities are vastly inflated by a video game O that works at the college level. On a good day he's Kevin Kolb.

Yeah, he's no Matt Flynn. :rolleyes:

Just grabbed him in my dynasty league - was always impressed when I listened to him being interviewed.

Also, just for the record, I own Keenum in a grand total of zero leagues. So I'm not just Bronco Billy knobslobbin' here.

Andre Johnson, ride pine.

F that. This kid's sweet spot falls right in line with where Johnson operates. Had Yates gotten the start I may have benched AJ in the one league I own him, but now I'm starting him with a little smidge of confidence.

Yeah, he's no Matt Flynn. :rolleyes:

Flynn if healthy is a better QB. But you can't help yourself at sticking this barb in even though it has nothing to do with your own topic. Maybe I'll relentlessly throw Keenum at you in unrelated posts when he trips and falls.

In any case, I'm sure you feel better about yourself now. Congrats.

I think they know what they have in Yates. He's a solid backup with a limited ceiling but a high floor.

Perhaps by throwing him to the wolves (or in this case, the Chiefs), they will get an excellent indication of what they have in Keenum.

It's not like Schaub is going to miraculously heal and lead this team to the playoffs in this waste of a season. Why not see what they have in this kid? And if I'm absolutely off my rocker and Keenum throws 3 picks in the first quarter, they can always just put Yates in and lose 38-17.

I agree. They need to find out what Keenum can do.

But they are definitely throwing him to the wolves. Chiefs sacked Terrelle Pryor 10 times last week.

Also, just for the record, I own Keenum in a grand total of zero leagues. So I'm not just Bronco Billy knobslobbin' here.

Lofl.

You're pimping him as a legit NFL starter and you weren't smart enough to follow your own advice and roster him? I guess he was going too high in drafts. Nice confidence in what you post.

F that. This kid's sweet spot falls right in line with where Johnson operates. Had Yates gotten the start I may have benched AJ in the one league I own him, but now I'm starting him with a little smidge of confidence.

To each his own, but I'd rather start Dez and Decker over AJ this week. Good luck!

Flynn if healthy is a better QB. But you can't help yourself at sticking this barb in even though it has nothing to do with your own topic. Maybe I'll relentlessly throw Keenum at you in unrelated posts when he trips and falls.

In any case, I'm sure you feel better about yourself now. Congrats.

So it's OK for you to knob-slob over a guy but others can't express thoughts on a player they have high hopes for?

You know, maybe that guy was right about you. It's people like you that drive traffic away from these forums.

You, sir, are an a-hole.

NOW I feel better about myself.

Lofl.

You're pimping him as a legit NFL starter and you weren't smart enough to follow your own advice and roster him? I guess he was going too high in drafts. Nice confidence in what you post.

And where did I say he was a legit NFL starter? You're an idiot.... and obviously butt-hurt over the whole Flynn thing. Get your little pink underoos unbunched from your sandy vagina, Billy.

Edited by darin3

Well, we had a thread about Case Keenum......

Kubiak appears to be at it again - on the road against a tough defense and the best option is.....the QB with the least experience. This should hasten his demise which should definitely happen this year. No way this team should be imploding like it is.

Personally I'm skeptical of a noob QB but could be wrong. For fantasy purposes the Texans are still a run-first team and with the limited explosivness of the KC offense I can't see Keenum putting up decent numbers this weekend.

They are only 2 games out of the division lead, with a running game and a defense that just last season were dominant. I can't imagine they believe their season is over and are shopping for new shoes already.

I get that maybe Yates has a low ceiling, but this isn't the time to be starting someone that gives you less chance to win the game just to see what they have.

Edited by flemingd

They are only 2 games out of the division lead, with a running game and a defense that just last season were dominant. I can't imagine they believe their season is over and are shopping for new shoes already.

I get that maybe Yates has a low ceiling, but this isn't the time to be starting someone that gives you less chance to win the game just to see what they have.

:shrug: Who knows. I think that if Yates were hurt they'd just come out and say he was hurt. This isn't Bill Bellicheat and the Patsies that we're talking about.

Maybe they think Keenum is actually good and gives them a better chance to win. Which, in fact, is what it must be thinking if they have every intention on trying to salvage the season.

Edited by darin3