[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

P Manning - what did you see?

Bronco Billy

Watching last week's game and now the loss to IND last night, it seems to me that Manning has lost a lot of velocity on his throws the past couple of weeks.

Earlier this year he was throwing some lasers and threading the ball into very tight windows. Not Favre quality heaters, mind you, but good tight throws on a rope nonetheless.

Last week his passes looked like they had lost some steam and were getting to their intended target a little late. Then last night it looked even worse and the passes were not only arced more but wobbling a lot more and off target more than previously.

The creativity is still there, but even when he tries to drop the ball in the bucket it doesn't quite get deep enough and the DB can make a play.

Curious to see if others are seeing the same thing I am.

I definitely saw it . . . but I've noticed it all year. His ball is just not the same since the surgery. You could really see it last night. He's so smart and well prepared though . . . he can compensate. But there is just a ton of mileage on that arm. I have a feeling it will get worse as the season and weather progress.

Edited by CaptainHook

It's very evident on the deep balls (though more so last year).

The tape of last night's game will be heavily dissected by DCs this week. I fully expect Peyton and the Broncos to adjust, but I can see more teams trying to force Peyton to beat them deep.

First time all year a team was able to sustain some pressure on him, as he was sacked or at least knocked down numerous times.

Yep. I was coming here to post this. I fell asleep at the half but the first half he was really under fire which you don't often see.

Manning definitely had looked better this season until last week. These past two games have looked a lot like last season with the floaters. I think that the Indy pressure played a big part last night as manning didnt get his feet set very often, but he does seem to have lost velocity in general.

The Indy D laid down a blueprint for slowing down Manning & Co., but it's contingent on having enough DBs w/ some skills to matchup with the Denver receivers. Most teams play some sort of zone and play off the Denver receivers giving them clean breaks off the line. Indy was up against the receivers all night, chucking them at the line, playing man coverage, and not giving away the easy, short passes and YAC that Manning makes a living on. Manning loves to get rid of the ball quick. He had to hold the ball longer last night and the Colts D-line and LBs took advantage, getting more sacks, hits, and pressures on Manning. As initially stated though, you have to have enough DBs w/ cover skills to matchup. Other teams just don't have the personnel to execute the way the Colts did.

You know, for all the talk about how the Colts slowed down Manning, the Broncos still put 33 on the board. I'm a bit more concerned about the defense (or lack of defense) the past few weeks. I thought with Von Miller coming back they'd be dialed in. Instead, they let the Colts hang 39 points on the board.

Yet more evidence that this season is bipolar.

• Like 1

Did some of Mannings passes look weak. Yes they did. However, I don't think it's something that is going to ruin his season. I think the throws were more about being pressured and especially where the pressure was coming from than anything else. Denver moved a guard to right tackle and the replacement guard got pushed back all night. Plus the fact that the left tackle just couldn't deal with Mathis had Manning running and moving all night. His foot work was off so he couldn't step into his throws consistently. Yes his arm isn't as strong as it used to be. It might be a little weaker than the beginning of the season, but this game was more about Indy pushing denver's oline around causing Peyton to move more than he ever has.

Edited by NAUgrad

Denver's piss poor defense is the reason they will not win the superbowl this year. Heck, they may not even make it to the superbowl. That defense is just pathetic.

Champ Bailey is perpetually overrated and Von Miller doesn't make much of a difference.

Edited by Ron677

Denver's piss poor defense is the reason they will not win the superbowl this year. Heck, they may not even make it to the superbowl. That defense is just pathetic.

Champ Bailey is perpetually overrated and Von Miller doesn't make much of a difference.

Miller is not in game shape though

Yup. Seeing a lot of wobbly floaters. Trade him high while you can. I'll give you Tony "Can't Torch The Weakest Defenses" Romo for him. You did see his 500yd 5 TD game earlier this year right? Oh hell, I'll throw in Ray Rice too.

Edited by Tripleshot

Yup. Seeing a lot of wobbly floaters. Trade him high while you can. I'll give you Tony "Can't Torch The Weakest Defenses" Romo for him. You did see his 500yd 5 TD game earlier this year right? Oh hell, I'll throw in Ray Rice too.

I would take that trade ( dynasty )

Did some of Mannings passes look weak. Yes they did. However, I don't think it's something that is going to ruin his season. I think the throws were more about being pressured and especially where the pressure was coming from than anything else. Denver moved a guard to right tackle and the replacement guard got pushed back all night. Plus the fact that the left tackle just couldn't deal with Mathis had Manning running and moving all night. His foot work was off so he couldn't step into his throws consistently. Yes his arm isn't as strong as it used to be. It might be a little weaker than the beginning of the season, but this game was more about Indy pushing denver's oline around causing Peyton to move more than he ever has.

I can't say I agree. Manning did get pressured, but when he had time his throws looked weak. In-fact, the inability to throw deep has been documented this year, as he has a very low yards per attempt average. He definitely has an issue throwing left. This is not a one week thing, as his throws have looked weak for a few weeks now and i think they are protecting him by not throwing the ball downfield. There is definitely something going on. In the coming weeks, I expect the defenses to take away the short routes and force him to throw the ball downfield. Let's see what happens.

He definitely has an issue throwing left.

I saw this and thought it was a change from earlier in the season. It was more of an issue on intermediate throws where the balls seemed to "hold up," giving the WR/DB time to try and correct to the ball. Even DThomas' TD catch going left to right had the same issue where he was able to correct to the throw and corral the pass.

So while the throws don't look good, they still put up a ton of points and rightfully should have had more before Hillman fumbled. Maybe an ugly ball doesn't translate into lower stats or performances.

I can't say I agree. Manning did get pressured, but when he had time his throws looked weak. In-fact, the inability to throw deep has been documented this year, as he has a very low yards per attempt average. He definitely has an issue throwing left. This is not a one week thing, as his throws have looked weak for a few weeks now and i think they are protecting him by not throwing the ball downfield. There is definitely something going on. In the coming weeks, I expect the defenses to take away the short routes and force him to throw the ball downfield. Let's see what happens.

One reason why D Thomas isn't a steady factor in the games. Also of all the defenses Peyton would play wouldn't the Colts have more of an advantage than any other team and know his play better since Manning played there for so long?

One reason why D Thomas isn't a steady factor in the games. Also of all the defenses Peyton would play wouldn't the Colts have more of an advantage than any other team and know his play better since Manning played there for so long?

+1

Ok so I just watched highlights (wish I recorded the game to watch more) and here's what I saw. Early in the first Manning had 2 great throws to Decker. No wobble, great touch in the perfect position. The first was at least a 40 yd pass in the air (39 yd gain), the second was about 20 yd pass (17 yd gain). No issues on those that I saw. There are 2 more I looked at. One was a 49 yd gain to Decker over the middle. The announcer said it was a duck, but it clearly was not. However, the pass was a little under thrown but his feet were not set. Look closely and you will see it. The second throw is a TD. Everyone is talking about the D Thomas TD and how the pass fluttered and was short. It was short and it did flutter, but it looks like his arm was hit. Again, look closely and it looks to me like his arm is hit.

I know this sounds like I'm making excuses for him but I really don't think there is an issue here with arm strength. Can he throw it in the air 70 yds like Elway could? Hell no. But I'll take a perfect touch pass of 40 yds in the air any day. I don't see this as an issue so far this year. Many other issues are surfacing, this is the least of my concerns right now. That oline had better improve dramatically this week or Denver is in serious trouble. Not to mention the piss poor D.

• Like 1

wouldn't the Colts have more of an advantage than any other team and know his play better since Manning played there for so long?

? Why is that a plus, esp given all the new coaches, players etc on the Colts since Manning left? Other teams can watch tape just as easily.

Anyway, his arm strength I think may be more of an issue later in the year as wear n tear (his arm and generally) set in. We'll see.

? Why is that a plus, esp given all the new coaches, players etc on the Colts since Manning left? Other teams can watch tape just as easily.

Anyway, his arm strength I think may be more of an issue later in the year as wear n tear (his arm and generally) set in. We'll see.

You don't think there is any one left from 3 years ago? The Colts would know more bout Manning than any other team especially Defensive players that practiced against him all week. Also right before the game Dungy explained one of Manning's play calls. I wouldn't put it past Irsay to make phone calls and gather all the info he could on Manning just to save face for letting him go.

Edited by Scorcher

According to Adam Schefter, both of Manning's ankles are sprained, including a high right ankle sprain aggravated by Robert Mathis' second sack. That might explain some of his throwing issues in the second half of the game against the Colts.

Edited by CaptainHook