[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marvin Jones

buddahj

What a trucking idiot I am... had him as my pickup in 3 different leagues and let outside influences make my decision for me . I gotta start going with my gut and not listening to everything everyone writes

Same here. Had him on the watch list for 2 weeks and did the same thing. I'm becoming more and more convinced I know more than most analysts and I'm sick of listening to them.

You all act like Dalton will continue his streak of 300+ yard and 3+ TD games... :devil's advocate:

I don't think anyone is saying Jones is going to continue to have THESE kinds of games. But playing across from Green in this offense? He could be more than servicable.

Oh, and half of Dalton's starts have produced very good fantasy results.

Same here. Had him on the watch list for 2 weeks and did the same thing. I'm becoming more and more convinced I know more than most analysts and I'm sick of listening to them.

...then stop listening to them? Or find one that consistently makes good predictions before you listen?

You act like you're forced to listen to these analysts / "experts" lol

Consider yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time for this rant...When I write "you" I don't mean you specifically but anyone that feels the way your post came off.

So you knew Jones would score 4 TDs on just 18 snaps played?

You knew he would do something (catch 4 or more receiving TDs) that has been done just 30 times prior to yesterday by 28 different players(Rice and Sterling Sharpe did it twice) in NFL history?

You knew he would do something (4 TDs again) that hadn't been done since 2007 (Randy Moss)?

You knew he was going to put up almost 50% of the receiving yards he had accumulated in the previous 7 weeks? Or 50% of his season total in receptions? Prior to yesterday he had 16-247-3, but you knew he was going to increase his catch total by 50%, his receiving total by 49.4% and his TDs by 133.3%?

You knew Andy Dalton would have 4+ passing TDs (something he did only one other time in his career)?

You're sick of reading what analysts write? You mean like what DMD wrote about Jones for this past week?

"Jones has scored in two straight and three of the last five--in fact, he's scored in the same games A.J. Green has scored in. And with the Jets prone to giving up scores to secondary targets, he's a decent bye week plug-in play this week."

I bet when DMD wrote that, had he known he'd only play in 18 snaps he wouldn't have recommended even using him to cover a bye week...or at a minimum would have probably called him a boom/bust play.

There are a ton of sites out there now that are providing fantasy content (some do a good job, some not so much), but I'm only going to comment on the huddle, and I feel safe saying that while we don't get everything right, we do a pretty damn good job. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to project players. I know that DMD doesn't use an algorithm, and neither do I when I do the IDP projections. I won't speak for DMD but my projections are based on a multitude of factors, and one is how I see the game playing out. If the game plays out differently that impacts projections...then there are times when one or two plays can really change the complexion of a game...which in turn impacts projections. At the end of the day, if you are getting projections that include a well thought out line of reasoning along with hours and hours on end of research (my IDP projections and write-ups take me around 15 hours to complete), then I don't know what more you can ask for.

I wrote this on twitter the other day, but I'll write it here again...I keep asking for a Crystal Ball for Christmas but I never get one.

/End rant.

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

Consider yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time for this rant...When I write "you" I don't mean you specifically but anyone that feels the way your post came off.

You knew he would do something (catch 4 or more receiving TDs) that has been done just 30 times prior to yesterday by 28 different players(Rice and Sterling Sharpe did it twice) in NFL history?

You knew he would do something (4 TDs again) that hadn't been done since 2007 (Randy Moss)?

You knew he was going to put up almost 50% of the receiving yards he had accumulated in the previous 7 weeks? Or 50% of his season total in receptions? Prior to yesterday he had 16-247-3, but you knew he was going to increase his catch total by 50%, his receiving total by 49.4% and his TDs by 133.3%?

You knew Andy Dalton would have 4+ passing TDs (something he did only one other time in his career)?

You're sick of reading what analysts write? You mean like what DMD wrote about Jones for this past week?

"Jones has scored in two straight and three of the last five--in fact, he's scored in the same games A.J. Green has scored in. And with the Jets prone to giving up scores to secondary targets, he's a decent bye week plug-in play this week."

I bet when DMD wrote that, had he known he'd only play in 18 snaps he wouldn't have recommended even using him to cover a bye week...or at a minimum would have probably called him a boom/bust play.

There are a ton of sites out there now that are providing fantasy content (some do a good job, some not so much), but I'm only going to comment on the huddle, and I feel safe saying that while we don't get everything right, we do a pretty damn good job. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to project players. I know that DMD doesn't use an algorithm, and neither do I when I do the IDP projections. I won't speak for DMD but my projections are based on a multitude of factors, and one is how I see the game playing out. If the game plays out differently that impacts projections...then there are times when one or two plays can really change the complexion of a game...which in turn impacts projections. At the end of the day, if you are getting projections that include a well thought out line of reasoning along with hours and hours on end of research (my IDP projections and write-ups take me around 15 hours to complete), then I don't know what more you can ask for.

I wrote this on twitter the other day, but I'll write it here again...I keep asking for a Crystal Ball for Christmas but I never get one.

/End rant.

:clap: Perfectly said. I don't think people realize the effort that goes into projecting every starter (and sleepers) every week. It is as inexact of a science as you'll find, it is worlds harder to project for a week than a season. People need to realize that rankings aren't gospel. They're best used as a second (third, etc.) opinion to help formulate your own opinion with more information than you gathered on your own. Your reasoning is so much more valuable than the rankings... More than likely if these people tried to play expert, they'd end up like our recent know-it-all troll with a bunch of obvious plays (plenty that backfire) and a bunch of bad speculative misses. Considering the unpredictable nature of the game, the Huddle does as well as any pay site, if not better in many cases, and is worth the money just to save you some time, even if you do want to play expert.

/End rant.

I know you say you don't mean "me" specifically, but your post is a little off. BTW this isn't a rant on my end. After this week, Jones has played 69 of 206 snaps. I didn't listen to Darin or whoever else you have in mind here at the huddle, but I did know of his lack of involvement going into week 8, rendering him the ultimate boom-or-bust. Did the guys here at the huddle know that? From the sound of your post, they must not have or else they wouldn't have recommended him. From what you say, they thought he was fairly heavily involved and his production was to show for it. And that would be incorrect.

I never said I "knew" Jones would do anything. I did however, say I was mad for second-guessing myself when I felt good about adding him as a plug and play but backed out. How is that claiming to know what he would do??? My point is the fact that I knew he was a boom or bust and still had a good feeling about using him as a bye week fill-in, yet I went against my instinct because I didn't hear anyone too high on him. I've shot myself in the foot more times than I can tell you for this very reason. As it turns out, I ended up just fine with Golden Tate's 22 points since I opted for him instead.

When I say "analysts" I mainly refer to various podcasts I listen to. In case you don't know....I'm not a paying member to the Huddle. I also forget that apparently over half of the posters on this message board work for the Huddle. I do enjoy getting feedback and interacting on this board, but the last thing on my mind is the fact that I may be offending someone by saying I need to listen to myself more than analysts. You read way too far into what I said.

Edited by Endzone Is Near

:clap: Perfectly said. I don't think people realize the effort that goes into projecting every starter (and sleepers) every week. It is as inexact of a science as you'll find, it is worlds harder to project for a week than a season. People need to realize that rankings aren't gospel. They're best used as a second (third, etc.) opinion to help formulate your own opinion with more information than you gathered on your own. Your reasoning is so much more valuable than the rankings... More than likely if these people tried to play expert, they'd end up like our recent know-it-all troll with a bunch of obvious plays (plenty that backfire) and a bunch of bad speculative misses. Considering the unpredictable nature of the game, the Huddle does as well as any pay site, if not better in many cases, and is worth the money just to save you some time, even if you do want to play expert.

Scroll up and read my OP. Hopefully then you'll realize you're preaching to the choir. My entire point was the fact that I was frustrated with myself for NOT listening to "my reasoning that is so much more valuable than the rankings". I was venting....I have that right. If anything, the only person who should feel insulted was me for making such a foolish decision. I was slamming

myself. When did I mention the Huddle? I certainly didn't intend to be the source of any butthurt...my apologies.

Not exactly sure who this troll is you are referring to, but it sure as hell doesn't define me.

Endzone is near,

Simple solution, stop listening to the analysts if they are not giving you good info. Most people here would take that as criticism of the huddle analysts, since most here are paying members. (I'm not this year but was for years before that.)

As for half of the posters here being huddle staff members, that is very wrong. There are two staff members that post regularly keggerz (Steve Gallo who does IDP stuff) and Darin3 (not sure of his real name or what stuff he writes).

The troll they are talking about is Baby Jane, an arrogant POS that treated everybody like an infant in FF knowledge.

Your overall negative tone and repeated complaints about analysts and advice will not go over well here. Most people here do well because they follow the mostly good advice/analysis provided by the huddle staff. Maybe if you were a paying member and read some of that stuff you'd understand better.

answer: Who did I pick up this week and not start

Will be taking him and Kenny Stills off the bench this week with Decker and Fitz on bye(6 TD's for both sunday).

72.5 pts on the bench but at least I won. :huh:

Edited by Randall

I like that analogy. I think it's true. When a receiver is hot, defenses key on him more. When a receiver hasn't been producing, defenses key on him less. As a fantasy owner, playing reverse psychology is probably more effective than going with the hot hand when it comes to wide receivers and tight ends. But it sure is difficult going with a player in a rut than a player that is hot.

I used to say that in IDP leagues, targeting CBs opposite "stud, shutdown corners" was a good way of finding sleepers. QBs avoid the shutdown corner, throw at the other guy more.... more chances for picks, passes defensed, tackles, etc...

Same may hold true for WRs. Opposing defenses double and roll coverage to the stud WR.... the 2nd WR will get looks. Kris Durham is a good example. Starting to make a name for himself as the WR2 the Lions have wanted/needed for several years now.

Jones is a candidate to be a guy like this. A.J. Green is a beast and Jones could become a productive WR in that offense.

Endzone is near,

Simple solution, stop listening to the analysts if they are not giving you good info. Most people here would take that as criticism of the huddle analysts, since most here are paying members. (I'm not this year but was for years before that.)

As for half of the posters here being huddle staff members, that is very wrong. There are two staff members that post regularly keggerz (Steve Gallo who does IDP stuff) and Darin3 (not sure of his real name or what stuff he writes).

The troll they are talking about is Baby Jane, an arrogant POS that treated everybody like an infant in FF knowledge.

Your overall negative tone and repeated complaints about analysts and advice will not go over well here. Most people here do well because they follow the mostly good advice/analysis provided by the huddle staff. Maybe if you were a paying member and read some of that stuff you'd understand better.

Haha. Yeah - I'm well aware that it would be good if I quit listening to the analysts. I just think it's funny that no one (you included) seems to understand the purpose of a vent. I was CALLING MYSELF OUT for a boneheaded move this week and even said I was mad at myself for making the same mistake numerous times. Obviously, I know the solution and just ripped myself a new one for not adhering to that solution. Stop the butthurt! I can't stop it for you!!!!!!!!!

Well, no one really cares about your team or your bad luck or your bad decisions. You are accountable for that. But I do think it is totally fair to call out analysts. They get paid for giving advice and if their advice is wrong, they should be held accountable. And they should accept that criticism. Being thin-skinned is ridiculous. The funniest part is you didn't call out anyone specifically. Offense was taken on behalf of analysts as a whole.

Wasn't about being thin skinned and I said it wasn't meant directly towards him, but people that have that view at times...I have no problem with being accountable...heck this past week I listed my top 5 projections/position on twitter and how they did (which wasn't good) and said I'm taking my lumps...my issue is with the last part of what he said which is bolded below. I have no qualms with saying I should have gone with my gut or I wasn't buying what an analyst or analysts were saying but I listed and I shouldn't have...but to say you know more than analysts and are sick of listening to them makes it sound like you think analysts just pull stuff out of their hat or that they don't put hours upon of hours of research in...But if you really feel that way then fine, just don't make it known after something like Jones performance happens. Bring it to the table without the hindsight and then it holds more water. Trust me, I wish we all had hindsight to use when making our projections. I guess is was exacerbated by the fact that this was about a guy having a performance like only 28 others have had in the history of the NFL...there's no analyst alive that should have got that call right and if they did make that call and were wrong people would call them crazy/stupid etc...it's a no win situation for the most part, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
"Same here. Had him on the watch list for 2 weeks and did the same thing. I'm becoming more and more convinced I know more than most analysts and I'm sick of listening to them."
Edited by keggerz

Haha. Yeah - I'm well aware that it would be good if I quit listening to the analysts. I just think it's funny that no one (you included) seems to understand the purpose of a vent. I was CALLING MYSELF OUT for a boneheaded move this week and even said I was mad at myself for making the same mistake numerous times. Obviously, I know the solution and just ripped myself a new one for not adhering to that solution. Stop the butthurt! I can't stop it for you!!!!!!!!!

That may have been the intent, but you most certainly took a jab at the profession.
  • Like 1

Well, no one really cares about your team or your bad luck or your bad decisions. You are accountable for that. But I do think it is totally fair to call out analysts. They get paid for giving advice and if their advice is wrong, they should be held accountable. And they should accept that criticism. Being thin-skinned is ridiculous. The funniest part is you didn't call out anyone specifically. Offense was taken on behalf of analysts as a whole.

Exactly. Yet anytime I say something about "analysts" it is automatically assumed that The Huddle is the only resource that exists. Let's be honest....these guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable, but how many people on average would put Huddle reports in their top 5, maybe even top 10 fantasy resources to stay up date with? I know I'll get ripped for that one, but it's the truth. I'd rather refer to the Huddle than the ESPNs or CBSs of the world, and I may get a membership next year. The fact of the matter is, people think of the more popular analysts before they think of sites like this (and it's those sites I'm annoyed with). If anyone can't accept that, you need to get over yourself.

Bottom line is, just like this guy says...I clearly didn't call anyone here at The Huddle out. Seems to me like a little narcissism around here might be the real issue.

Wasn't about being thin skinned and I said it wasn't meant directly towards him, but people that have that view at times...I have no problem with being accountable...heck this past week I listed my top 5 projections/position on twitter and how they did (which wasn't good) and said I'm taking my lumps...my issue is with the last part of what he said which is bolded below. I have no qualms with saying I should have gone with my gut or I wasn't buying what an analyst or analysts were saying but I listed and I shouldn't have...but to say you know more than analysts and are sick of listening to them makes it sound like you think analysts just pull stuff out of their hat or that they don't put hours upon of hours of research in...But if you really feel that way then fine, just don't make it known after something like Jones performance happens. Bring it to the table without the hindsight and then it holds more water. Trust me, I wish we all had hindsight to use when making our projections. I guess is was exacerbated by the fact that this was about a guy having a performance like only 28 others have had in the history of the NFL...there's no analyst alive that should have got that call right and if they did make that call and were wrong people would call them crazy/stupid etc...it's a no win situation for the most part, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I can appreciate a good majority of your post. You're still missing my point, though. Like I said previously, I did not know Jones would have a day like that....obviously. But the simple fact that I SAW a guy making the most if his few opportunities and shining on a consistent basis, well that just lets me know that I made a stupid move by not adding him. Did I think he would score 4 TD's? Of course not. Did I see reason to believe he may continue to be productive with any opportunity that came his way? Yes I did, and many analysts DIDN'T.....fact. Who's the real idiot in the situation? Like I said....I am.

Pretty sure there's nothing but black and white left there. If you're still confused with my intentions, I'm sorry. I apologize if that explanation isn't good enough, but I won't apologize for being out of line just because I was accused of it.