[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marques Colston...is all hope lost?

BA Baracus

I haven't watched a lot of Saints football this year. Does anyone know what in the hell is going on with Colston? Does he just not get open anymore? Has he lost a step?

There have only been two games where he was not targeted enough (weeks 5 & 6). I thought for sure that this week would mark his rebound, but he was just terrible.

This seems like the first season in forever that he wasn't injured all year long, maybe that's the problem... :razz:

Any insight from nawleans homers?

Not a homer, but he looks done. I thinks Stills become more a part of this offense going forward at the expense of Colston.

Watched every game. He is getting targeted more than any receiver on the team. He has dropped some big passes, I can't think of 3 TD catches he has dropped, and at least 5 passes of over 20 yards. He dropped a 30 yarder last week. He isn't getting the separation, but I am not sure how much separation he has gotten in years past because this is the first year I have him. I get the feeling he has always been the type of receiver that just goes up and gets the ball because he's bigger and more physical than his defender. He isn't much of an athletic receiver, I'm still holding out hope that by week 14 he will have turned it around just in time for the playoffs. For now, he is benched

Watched every game. He is getting targeted more than any receiver on the team. He has dropped some big passes, I can't think of 3 TD catches he has dropped, and at least 5 passes of over 20 yards. He dropped a 30 yarder last week. He isn't getting the separation, but I am not sure how much separation he has gotten in years past because this is the first year I have him. I get the feeling he has always been the type of receiver that just goes up and gets the ball because he's bigger and more physical than his defender. He isn't much of an athletic receiver, I'm still holding out hope that by week 14 he will have turned it around just in time for the playoffs. For now, he is benched

The bolded is key. He's targeted more than any other WR, but you fail to mention that Jimmy Graham guy. This past offseason was Graham and Brees' first full offseason to work together as the dynamic duo we know them as now.

Colston has always been a middle-of-the-field guy and with Graham's upward climb as the team's go-to guy has rendered Colston less and less essential. Especially when Sproles has also proved himself as a deadly weapon.

It's turned into: look for Graham in the middle of the field.... if he's doubled, dump off to Sproles and have him operate in space.

And yes, the development of the deep threat Stills has also pulled some action from Colston.

Even when he had missed games the past few years, he was always a 100+ target guy. He's at 40 targets right now and only has 5 in the past 3 games. Ouch.

Graham is just scratching the surface in terms of his potential. I'd be damn shocked if Colston ever tops 100 targets in a season again.

As a huge advocate of Colston I fear his time as a heavily slept on player is slowly coming to an end. He hasn't produced this year even when he's had the targets and with the emergence of Stills as a deep threat I can only see the trend continuing. On top of all this Brees really spreads the ball around to his receivers. Last week might be slightly skewed due to Grahams injury but it's still a great example 7 players had at least 3 reception, including Colston who had the least receiving of the 7, besides Sproles who magically had 4 catches for 0 yards.

First 3 games in a PPR league, Colston was servicable, 17, 12, 10 pts.. Last week 3 games, dud... is it POSSIBLE he just wasn't part of the game plan in game 4 and 5, and then last week was the OFF week that he just dropped some key passess... I'm grasping at any straw I can here! I just can't bring myself to drop him, have to start him this week due to bye weeks

The bolded is key. He's targeted more than any other WR, but you fail to mention that Jimmy Graham guy. This past offseason was Graham and Brees' first full offseason to work together as the dynamic duo we know them as now.

Colston has always been a middle-of-the-field guy and with Graham's upward climb as the team's go-to guy has rendered Colston less and less essential. Especially when Sproles has also proved himself as a deadly weapon.

It's turned into: look for Graham in the middle of the field.... if he's doubled, dump off to Sproles and have him operate in space.

And yes, the development of the deep threat Stills has also pulled some action from Colston.

Even when he had missed games the past few years, he was always a 100+ target guy. He's at 40 targets right now and only has 5 in the past 3 games. Ouch.

Graham is just scratching the surface in terms of his potential. I'd be damn shocked if Colston ever tops 100 targets in a season again.

I think your target numbers for Colston the last 3 games is off (though 40 this year is correct). The info I have from 2 sources including the Huddle shows 11 targets in the last 3, with 6 receptions, and only about 45 yards (less than 20 each game).

Otherwise the analysis is correct.

While Colston may have indeed dropped off a bit, the past 5-6 years the Saints have had so many offensive weapons (aside from Graham) that it is getting difficult to predict who is going to be the hot hand on any given week. I can't tell you the number of times I have had a Darren Sproles, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Marques Colston,or David Patten on my team and watched them: a) go for insane points on my bench; and B) completely suck when I start them.

When you draft a Saints receiver, expect boom-and bust.

I think your target numbers for Colston the last 3 games is off (though 40 this year is correct). The info I have from 2 sources including the Huddle shows 11 targets in the last 3, with 6 receptions, and only about 45 yards (less than 20 each game).

Otherwise the analysis is correct.

You're right, I was looking at his catches. Still... ouch.

I am reluctantly jumping on the Lance Moore bandwagon. The whole NO passing game is just an amazing thing to behold.

Brees has never looked better so you'd assume Colston would be a consistent WR1. But alas its not to be. This is after all New Orleans and Colston may have crossed the King of the Zulu during Mardi Gras. Perhaps the J'suis le Grand Zombie* stole the gris-gris from his doorstep thus nullifying his pass catch'n powers.

* - nod to Dr. John

Edited by wpayers

While Colston may have indeed dropped off a bit, the past 5-6 years the Saints have had so many offensive weapons (aside from Graham) that it is getting difficult to predict who is going to be the hot hand on any given week. I can't tell you the number of times I have had a Darren Sproles, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Marques Colston,or David Patten on my team and watched them: a) go for insane points on my bench; and B) completely suck when I start them.

When you draft a Saints receiver, expect boom-and bust.

This year seems so different than before. It's always been the way you described but this year it seems to be more like Jimmy Graham or bust.

Y'all should watch this weeks NFL matchup show. Apparently Colston's brain is also not working correctly. Hoge highlighted a play where Colston totally blew a read where he should have been the hot receiver. For an experienced WR who has been with the same QB as long as he has, Colston's mental error there was pretty horrendous.

honda like that can't help your QB's confidence in you.