[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Justin Blackmon suspended indefinitely

Wolverines Fan

Until ppl have dealt with an addiction personally u have no idea what its like. There is help but its hard to take that first step.

There is no excuse for a professional athlete to land DUIs though. Why not call up your personal driver instead of driving yourself?

I don't want to get too deeply into the victim mentality that we have instilled in our culture. I do know people beat addictions every day, and some do it without 1 iota of professional help. Given the support system that Blackmon has around him, his and the league's resources, and what he stands to lose, you apologists are going to have to forgive me if I hold him at least partially responsible for his being in this position and then choosing to remain there.

• Like 2

Not here belittling anyone's opinion, but I do believe it is a choice. Having formerly been addicted to just about everything you can be addicted to at one time or another, I know only I can control it. With all due respect, I don't believe a higher power can help me. Nothing anybody says would influence me, I'm too stubborn. I had to decide enough was enough. I do know several people that would not be functional members of society without support groups, so I could see that he may need some support in that manner, but despite anybody's efforts, nothing will ever happen until he decides that he needs to change.

Not here belittling anyone's opinion, but I do believe it is a choice. Having formerly been addicted to just about everything you can be addicted to at one time or another, I know only I can control it. With all due respect, I don't believe a higher power can help me. Nothing anybody says would influence me, I'm too stubborn. I had to decide enough was enough. I do know several people that would not be functional members of society without support groups, so I could see that he may need some support in that manner, but despite anybody's efforts, nothing will ever happen until he decides that he needs to change.

I have to agree. And everything I have seen regarding addiction is that resolving it successfully only occurs when the addict fully owns responsibility for their behavior.

Absolving one from blame on the basis that addiction is an illness, as well meaning as it is intended, only enables and prolongs the behavior. There is a built-in excuse to continue if one blames an illness - it's not their fault and therefore they can't help themselves.

I have to agree. And everything I have seen regarding addiction is that resolving it successfully only occurs when the addict fully owns responsibility for their behavior.

Absolving one from blame on the basis that addiction is an illness, as well meaning as it is intended, only enables and prolongs the behavior. There is a built-in excuse to continue if one blames an illness - it's not their fault and therefore they can't help themselves.

I do agree that it shouldn't just be treated as an illness. A person has to accept that they got themself into the situation, and it's up to them to get out.

But with how much flack I get for being a smoker, I don't think people realize how truly tough it is to quit. I was even going through some potential health issues, and still couldn't make it all day without one. It's a lot like being hungry and not being able to eat. You can make it a little while, but the cravings can become so bad that you don't know what else to do but give in. At least it's like that for me anyway.

It's gotten close to that point with alcohol at times, but I'm much more cognizant of making sure that I don't fall too far down that downward spiral.

Just saying, yes people need to take responsibility, but people need to also realize that just because you may have a tough time figuring out what works for you to quit, it does make them any more mentally weak of a person. Just a person who made some poor choices in hindsight and may need help to rebound.

When youre willing to sacrifice millions of dollars and a career we all can only dream of to get high its obviously a problem. Hope he gets well

Agree with that. It shouldn't be that tough to break away from addiction when you're so busy during the on seasons, and literally be able to do whatever you want in the offseason besides that (or even that if you can stay focused during the season).

The fact that he can't would definitely suggest a problem, and money might only be enabling that.

Yes, it's not his fault he took drugs - he has a "disease," no wait a "condition" or was it a "syndrome"......that made him.....he's a VICTIM.....not an irresponsible moron who had the world at his feet and pissed it away. Break out the violins.

Right. :rolleyes:

All hail the 21st century, the era of non-accountability.

• Like 1

Yes, it's not his fault he took drugs - he has a "disease," no wait a "condition" or was it a "syndrome"......that made him.....he's a VICTIM.....not an irresponsible moron who had the world at his feet and pissed it away. Break out the violins.

Right. :rolleyes:

All hail the 21st century, the era of non-accountability.

Or all hail the 21st century era of over-reaction. No one is suggesting cutting him a break. No one is suggesting he's a victim. It's simply not as cut and dried as "he chooses to drink too much, therefore he's a moron". Addiction is real, and it's a bitch to battle. Until you've walked a mile in a man's shoes ... and if you haven't, thank whatever higher power you believe in, or don't believe in, that you haven't had to and ask that you never do.

And if you do, know that there are still people in this world that won't just break out the violins and abandon you.

• Like 1

Until you've walked a mile in a man's shoes ... and if you haven't, thank whatever higher power you believe in, or don't believe in, that you haven't had to and ask that you never do.

Whoa. Now that just rankles me. I don't need to thank my God, luck or anything thing else that I'm not addicted to anything. And I had opportunities, just like the vast majority of people have. I'm not addicted to anything, nor have I ever been addicted to anything, because I made the choice not to be. There is no other reason.

I think the problem here is that there have been a mountain of players who made poor decisions and threw away golden opportunities. We all know them and no one feels badly for them for just being stupid - plain and simple. But the disconnect is that there are some people that are not merely young dumbasses making stupid decisions. There are a few - and I would group Blackmon in it - that have biological problems that manifest themselves in addictions. If you have ever been close to someone who had true addiction problems - alcohol or drugs - and who have done rehab, etc. you know that it is something that they have to battle every day and every minute of their life. It is not a bad decision thinking they are above anything. It is truly something that looks them in the face every moment and they have to fight it every day for the rest of their life. It nothing about "choice" other than they have to act in a way that is opposite what their instincts and body tells them to. I have a family friend in this situation and it is heart wrenching to see what that person has to go through knowing what they could be like without this clinical, physiological problem that can never be cured and must be dealt with every single day if not every single minute. It is not a merely a choice to be made to not be addicted. Those with the condition are always an addict. They have to fight constantly to not act on it. Every moment. Hard to understand that if you have not at least been close to it if not carry it.

None of us know Blackmon and I only say he is a part of this group because my son goes to OSU and I am aware of what a high character guy Blackmon was considered in college. He was no Dez Bryant there. He was never ever a problem in any way so my best guess is that he has the real problem of addictions at the age of 23 he cannot contend with. I hope he does get it under control regardless if he every plays another down in the NFL because he was regarded very highly as a person in college aside from his skill as a player.

These players do have far better resources at their disposal than most. But that doesn't change the seriousness of the problem for some who are very young men living in a surreal world. Blackmon will pay the price regardless of why it happened.

Whoa. Now that just rankles me. I don't need to thank my God, luck or anything thing else that I'm not addicted to anything. And I had opportunities, just like the vast majority of people have. I'm not addicted to anything, nor have I ever been addicted to anything, because I made the choice not to be. There is no other reason.

Then feel free not to, and instead celebrate the results of your personal strength and positive decision making.