[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trading (raiding) losing teams to bolster your playoff team

BigBlueTom

In my league of record, I'm about to become the only team to make the playoffs all four years. I'm 8-1 and one win away from clinching back-to-back division titles.

Thing is, I'm waiver-wire savvy, drafted well, but still need that one player to put me over the top.

Here's the question: Is it wrong to approach the 0-9 team with a FAIR trade that would be mutually beneficial, but ultimately fill in a hole on my team and better position me for a deeper playoff run?

The 0-9 owner turned down trades at 0-2, and again at 0-5. I reminded him that my championship season (2011) began 0-4, and a trade for Arian Foster made my team unbeatable on my way to the title. He didn't bite.

So, thoughts on making your playoff team better by making a FAIR trade with a non-contender?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that.

But the question really becomes what can you offer the 0-9 owner team that is worth it? If it is a keeper/dynasty league and you're giving a piece (player, pick, etc.) for the future great.

If its a redraft and you're simply helping him out for this year, does it matter to him? Is 4-9 going to make the playoffs or win money?

I've found over time that some owners just don't like to trade. We've been together with most of the same owners for almst 20 years. About have the teams trade regularly, and the other half almost never.

• Like 1

In my league of record, I'm about to become the only team to make the playoffs all four years. I'm 8-1 and one win away from clinching back-to-back division titles.

Thing is, I'm waiver-wire savvy, drafted well, but still need that one player to put me over the top.

Here's the question: Is it wrong to approach the 0-9 team with a FAIR trade that would be mutually beneficial, but ultimately fill in a hole on my team and better position me for a deeper playoff run?

The 0-9 owner turned down trades at 0-2, and again at 0-5. I reminded him that my championship season (2011) began 0-4, and a trade for Arian Foster made my team unbeatable on my way to the title. He didn't bite.

So, thoughts on making your playoff team better by making a FAIR trade with a non-contender?

Thanks

FWIW.. I almost sent a trade out to a guy in a local last night that pretty much has zero chance of a playoff spot (2-7). It was a fair trade IMO, but I didn't pull the trigger b/c IMO, he shouldn't be trading and it would have pissed off the league..its a redraft. EDIT: in any type of keeper it's a different story

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys
  • Like 1

Thanks, HowBout. It's a redraft league, but these guys all rely on luck; if they lose a player, they throw their arms up and give up, which sucks if you played them earlier in the year and now they're everyone's bye week.

I'd like to see more wheeling and dealing in the league, rather than everyone sitting pat with the hand they've been dealt. Last year, I coasted into the playoffs, but Jones-Drew's injury came back to haunt me in the playoffs and I lost in the championship game. If I had one more serviceable RB, I would've been able to repeat.

2 yrs ago we added a Toilet Bowl in 1 local for the bottom 6 teams in the league. The winner gets %75 of his fees back. Solves this problem

Yeah our weekly prize ($25) for the high score of the week was something we did to prevent tanking. One year I was having a bad season, then one fateful night a couple players went nuts and I won some $$ (entry fee is $100).

2 yrs ago we added a Toilet Bowl in 1 local for the bottom 6 teams in the league. The winner gets %75 of his fees back. Solves this problem

we don't do that anymore but instead each team even after the playoffs start are still alive for highest weekly score that is equal to 50% of league fee ,,
  • Like 1

I was approached yesterday by the last place team. He also posted to web that he's looking towards next season. Keeper auction league. I'm in 2nd place, tied record, 20 pts behind. He asked for Pryor and L.Bell as he wants cheap keepers. He offered several quality guys, all too expensive to keep next year. In the end I ended sending Pryor, Bell, Wright, Colston. Received Dez, Luck, VJax, MJD. Within an hour, 4 postings that the trade needs to be voided and is bogus. Also sent commish emails. I imagine a couple more to follow. I feel there is no issue with the trade and it's mostly sour grapes as anyone else could have made a deal if they had the bullets or was willing to deal them. Team2 told me he received multiple offers, some from the same owners that rejected my deal, but ridiculous ones and very lopsided. There have been only two trades all year and both involved me.

I am in a keeper league so non playoff teams trading with playoff teams happens every year. In addition, for the six teams not making the playoffs, we have the Stupor Bowl. All team throw in $25.00 and the winner has his entrance fee paid for next year ($125.00). So even if you are out of the playoffs, you still want a competitive team to win the Stupor Bowl (and it is mandatory attendance).