[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When a punt is super high...

irish

how can they even tell where it goes out of bounds accurately? Is that a play that can be challenged? If not, why not?

Can't be challenged as there is no definitive camera shot to prove where the ball broke the plane. I always thought those were refs best guess on where the ball crossed the plane.

Which sucks and is the issue I bring up. With all the technology we have now, you'd figure that there'd be a better way by now.

I thought you were going to ask how much larger the football becomes due to less external air pressue when a punt is super high.

Wow, my head just exploded.

Which sucks and is the issue I bring up. With all the technology we have now, you'd figure that there'd be a better way by now.

What would you suggest?

The only thing I could think of would be a chip in the ball and a wire wrapped under the sideline

What would you suggest?

The only thing I could think of would be a chip in the ball and a wire wrapped under the sideline

That sounds good. However, I'm sure that there are definitely smarter people out there than me who could come up with something. How about the kind of technology that stores use when you go to walk out with something that hasn't been rubbed on the counter sensor enough. Beep! Beep! Beep!

That sounds good. However, I'm sure that there are definitely smarter people out there than me who could come up with something. How about the kind of technology that stores use when you go to walk out with something that hasn't been rubbed on the counter sensor enough. Beep! Beep! Beep!

Tennis has a thing but the ball has to hit the ground.

I don't know if we could erect those things going out of Best Buy around the sidelines

When the punt is super high the ball tends to has a lazy loft, often time the laces will tighten and take on a reddish hue. Will also tend to veer towards the nearest concession stand or snack machine. Chronic Super High balls can lead to deflation and diminished hang time.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 2

Maybe they should invent some better helmets first.

What difference does it make how high the ball is before a punt goes OB?

The way refs spot a punt that goes OB is that the ref standing behind the punter steps forward after the kick and sights the line of the path of the football. The easiest way to do it is to watch where the ball lands and then either focus on that spot or find some kind of landmark - like a marking along the sideline or something fixed like the end of a bench or something similar. - so that they can retain the line of the path of the ball.

Then the side judge walks up the sideline until he crosses the line that the backfield ref has that marks the path of the ball. Where those two lines intersect - the path of the ball and the sideline - is where the ball is spotted for having crossed the boundary.

It's just linear geometry, but given the circumstances it is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I have noticed that the Side Judge often times is looking up into the stands as he comes up the line. Probably spotting some point where he saw the ball cross the line and then walking until he is underneath it? Again, some sort or triangulation technique.

Any Land Surveyors on here?

What difference does it make how high the ball is before a punt goes OB?

The way refs spot a punt that goes OB is that the ref standing behind the punter steps forward after the kick and sights the line of the path of the football. The easiest way to do it is to watch where the ball lands and then either focus on that spot or find some kind of landmark - like a marking along the sideline or something fixed like the end of a bench or something similar. - so that they can retain the line of the path of the ball.

Then the side judge walks up the sideline until he crosses the line that the backfield ref has that marks the path of the ball. Where those two lines intersect - the path of the ball and the sideline - is where the ball is spotted for having crossed the boundary.

It's just linear geometry, but given the circumstances it is pretty accurate.

just saying that i'd imagine a ball kicked much higher, than one bouncing out of bounds 7 ft off the ground, is more difficult to track and be correctly marked.

I have noticed that the Side Judge often times is looking up into the stands as he comes up the line. Probably spotting some point where he saw the ball cross the line and then walking until he is underneath it? Again, some sort or triangulation technique.

bronco billy does something like that and just got a new job or at least a promotion.

:pc: Polksalet, RBBC Chump

The side judge is looking at the back judge as he walks up the sideline for the back judge's signal to stop as he crosses the back judge's line of the path of the ball.

And being a Civil/Structural engineer as well as having reffed for about a decade, there is some pt of reference.

What would you suggest?

I've long thought this should be done in sports. A chip in the ball (puck, whatever) and sensors around the field to detect its location. Did the ball cross the goal line (or line to gain for first down), simple objective ruling by math and science, not the camera angles, eyesight and judgement of the official.

I'm no technical genuis (I only play one in real life) but I'm sure this could be done. Imagine baseball with balls and strikes clearly defined and removing the ump from that decision.

Almost all timed sports (from motorsports to track/field, swimming, etc) use electronics to keep track of times. Why do the stick and ball sports use so little technology (outside of instant replay what is there)?