[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foster Trade - made "moments" before news of his back injury. What to do?

wpayers

This topic may be moot by now but I thought it would engender some interesting Huddler feedback and rhetoric. Good fodder for FF law school students.

Team A (me): offers SJAX and ABrown

Team B: gives Foster

Background:

Our league trade deadline is Nov 13th, 11:59p. Team A has an overabundance of RBs: Lacy, SJAX, Ivory, Greene, Vereen, ABrown, Woodhead. Team B is need of RB help: Foster, DBrown, LMiller, DThomas. Both teams are 5-4.

Trade discussions began Thurs night 11/7 and concluded yesterday late morning 11/8. The offer was made and accepted at approx 1130a. Both owners are extremely connected to FF news (The Huddle, RotoWorld, numerous Tweeter feeds) and operated under the assumption that Foster's injuries were enough to keep him out one to two games at most.

Then Boom! Within an hour of the trade being accepted, news of Foster possibly requiring season ending back surgery hits the wires.

This is a CBS league without a "real" commissioner. All trades go through a league voting process. If there are less than 4 objections than the trade goes through automatically. In the case of the rare disputes, the site staff may get involved, however that's very unlikely.

The trade is pending so the players have not yet changed teams. It will process Sunday morning at approx. 1am.

So what to do. Here are possible scenarios:

1. From Team A's POV. Suck it up. Stuff happens in life and you have to laugh it off.

2. Assuming both players agree, appeal to the other league owners, and acknowledge that if the extent of the Foster were known, the deal would not have made. Suggest the trade be reserved by trading back the players prior to the Nov 13 deadline. Request the other owners not object.

3. Work out a subsequent deal with other players to "even out" the Foster deal.

4. Other?

Any thoughts, barbs, wisdom, advice and ridicule are welcome.

Well, I can tell you what happened with me in a trade several years ago.

I traded Edgerrin James to another team for Terrell Owens. For whatever reason based on our league rules at the time, the trade wasn't going to get processed until the games were played on Sunday (I think we agreed to it Sunday morning or Sat. night, but we didn't process trades then until our transaction day on Tuesday). Either way, that game Edge went down. Torn ACL but nothing was confirmed at the time. Come Tuesday, the trade is about to be processed, and I went to the other owner and basically told him that I would not hild it against him if he backed out of it due to the injury and the fact we didn't know the severity of it yet. His response was that he already agreed to the trade in principle and he was OK with it being processed.

I told him I didn't think I could do what he did, but he was a person of very high integrity and very well liked and respected in our league. A few years later we made another trade - I gave him William Green for Terrell Owens. Well guess what happens. One week later Green gets stabbed by his girlfriend. Thus it became a running joke that whenver we traded he was doomed to get someone who would be out of football a week later.

Bottom line is, the trade went through, and it was just one of those "Well, what can you do about it?" situations.

We STILL do not know what the final situation is with Foster, so I say let the trade stand. The owner knew he was getting damaged goods, albeit perhaps not as damaged as may turn out to be the case. I think much will depend on whether the Texans can win a few games in a row and get back to playoff contention: the Texans and Foster would be much more likely to delay surgery if Foster could help them get to the playoffs. However, if they lose Sunday they are all but goners at 2-7, since they still have to face the Colts, Denver, New England, and Tennessee in their last eight games.

• Like 2

Have you tried discussing this situation with the guy to work out a different trade. The trade deadline is it for trade completion (players going to respective teams), or trades to be agreed upon.

The trade deadline is for trades offered and accepted so to your question it's agreed upon. Disappointingly, the owner has fallen silent and not replied to emails although I feel I will. This is a CBS open league so I don't know the guy.

We STILL do not know what the final situation is with Foster, so I say let the trade stand. The owner knew he was getting damaged goods, albeit perhaps not as damaged as may turn out to be the case. I think much will depend on whether the Texans can win a few games in a row and get back to playoff contention: the Texans and Foster would be much more likely to delay surgery if Foster could help them get to the playoffs. However, if they lose Sunday they are all but goners at 2-7, since they still have to face the Colts, Denver, New England, and Tennessee in their last eight games.

+1 Let the buyer beware.

Well, I can tell you what happened with me in a trade several years ago.

I traded Edgerrin James to another team for Terrell Owens. For whatever reason based on our league rules at the time, the trade wasn't going to get processed until the games were played on Sunday (I think we agreed to it Sunday morning or Sat. night, but we didn't process trades then until our transaction day on Tuesday). Either way, that game Edge went down. Torn ACL but nothing was confirmed at the time. Come Tuesday, the trade is about to be processed, and I went to the other owner and basically told him that I would not hild it against him if he backed out of it due to the injury and the fact we didn't know the severity of it yet. His response was that he already agreed to the trade in principle and he was OK with it being processed.

I told him I didn't think I could do what he did, but he was a person of very high integrity and very well liked and respected in our league. A few years later we made another trade - I gave him William Green for Terrell Owens. Well guess what happens. One week later Green gets stabbed by his girlfriend. Thus it became a running joke that whenver we traded he was doomed to get someone who would be out of football a week later.

Bottom line is, the trade went through, and it was just one of those "Well, what can you do about it?" situations.

Well there's the rub. I don't know this guy and there's no commish to appeal. No way to gauge the integrity of this guy. For all I know the other owner could be one of the Huddles sages like Big John or darin3. In that case I would feel more comfortable.

I traded for Cobb and a day later he's out for the season. What's the big deal? That's the fun of making trades. If both sides click "accept trade" it is set in stone. I lmao when I trade away a play that is injured a week later

What difference is making a trade 6 days before the extent of an an injury is known or 1 hour before. The trade was made. I couldn't in good concious go back on it.

I am not suggesting to go back on it. I agree with you. But what if BOTH parties agree to either reverse it or make a compensatory trade? If you were an owner in the league and saw these transactions what would be your reaction? Or is that the essence of the dreaded C word...collusion?

anyone who trades for Foster was well aware he was banged up the preceding week and well aware that all it takes is a sneeze and a cough to sidelines him. He took the risk. The trade should stand.

Edited by Dcat

I am not suggesting to go back on it. I agree with you. But what if BOTH parties agree to either reverse it or make a compensatory trade?

BOTH parties have not agreed, one is trying to find if their is a way out of it ( or more accuratly, if we all have some ff code that we live, trade and play by) and and the other:

Disappointingly, the owner has fallen silent and not replied to emails

Deal stands, if the other owner stands up, then you may have a chance for more compensation, but otherwise the deal is done

Its unfortunate, but Tate has had back issues all season. Granted it has gotten much worse recently, however there was talk at the beginning of the season he is damaged goods and a long season would take a toll on his health. The trade is completed, Caveat Emptor.

This topic may be moot by now but I thought it would engender some interesting Huddler feedback and rhetoric. Good fodder for FF law school students.

Team A (me): offers SJAX and ABrown

Team B: gives Foster

Background:

Our league trade deadline is Nov 13th, 11:59p. Team A has an overabundance of RBs: Lacy, SJAX, Ivory, Greene, Vereen, ABrown, Woodhead. Team B is need of RB help: Foster, DBrown, LMiller, DThomas. Both teams are 5-4.

Trade discussions began Thurs night 11/7 and concluded yesterday late morning 11/8. The offer was made and accepted at approx 1130a. Both owners are extremely connected to FF news (The Huddle, RotoWorld, numerous Tweeter feeds) and operated under the assumption that Foster's injuries were enough to keep him out one to two games at most.

Then Boom! Within an hour of the trade being accepted, news of Foster possibly requiring season ending back surgery hits the wires.

This is a CBS league without a "real" commissioner. All trades go through a league voting process. If there are less than 4 objections than the trade goes through automatically. In the case of the rare disputes, the site staff may get involved, however that's very unlikely.

The trade is pending so the players have not yet changed teams. It will process Sunday morning at approx. 1am.

So what to do. Here are possible scenarios:

1. From Team A's POV. Suck it up. Stuff happens in life and you have to laugh it off.

2. Assuming both players agree, appeal to the other league owners, and acknowledge that if the extent of the Foster were known, the deal would not have made. Suggest the trade be reserved by trading back the players prior to the Nov 13 deadline. Request the other owners not object.

3. Work out a subsequent deal with other players to "even out" the Foster deal.

4. Other?

Any thoughts, barbs, wisdom, advice and ridicule are welcome.

If I was the pre-trade Foster owner I would laugh in the chat.

If I was the post-trade Foster owner I would cry in the chat.

Nothing more and nothing less.

If I was the pre-trade Foster owner I would laugh in the chat.

If I was the post-trade Foster owner I would cry in the chat.

Nothing more and nothing less.

As the proud new owner of Mr. Foster's body and soul I must say his name looks impressive on my bench. I do have to laugh at the timing of this. News this morning is his season is likely over.

My thoughts to turn to Shakespeare whenever the blue bird of happiness excavates on my head. Two of his quotes for today:

"Friends, Romans, Huddlers, lend me your ears; I come to bury Foster, not to praise him". And from Macbeth, "What's done is done"

At least I picked up DJohnson this morning. He's got a little Priest Holmes about him. One can only hope.