[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please educate me - Pistol , Spread Option & Wildcat

MustOfBeenDrunk

Pistol = QB short shotgun behind center with RB directly behind him

Spread = QB short shotgun or under center with RB(s) to his side(s)

Wildcat = RB taking direct shotgun snap from center

Thanks but was doing a little more detective work and just found this http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/29/explaining-the-wildcat/

need to consider the source though :thinking:

pistol - taking of the sex by gun point.

spread option - mating with multiple candidates at once.

wildcat - finding the perfect gal, who can successfully mate from different positions, which you finally settle down with.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

pistol - taking of the sex by gun point.

spread option - mating with multiple candidates at once.

wildcat - finding the perfect gal, who can successful mate from different positions, which you finally settle down with.

Now that is by far the best explanation I have seen ,,, reminds me of the time I misspelled .com

What exactly is the question?

The Wildcat is a formation where somebody other than the QB is lined up to take the snap.

The Pistol is a formation where the QB lines up in the shotgun, usually a step up or two from the conventional shotgun, and there is a back directly behind him. Looks like an I-formation, with the QB lining up where the FB usually does.

I've never heard of spread-option before. I've heard of the spread offense, and I've heard of read-option.

What exactly is the question?

its been answered ,, but what happened is I over heard some co-workers taking and comparing the Wildcat & Pistol and how ,,, wait for it the Wildcat was invented and first done by Miami against NE , I said it was done way before that and just because the RB wasn't taking the direct snap bla bla bla ,, that's how it all started ,, so I came here to asked the questions so I could go back and act even smarter the 2nd time :shades:

You see that is what I do when I can't find something with a google search to back me up ,, I keep searching elsewhere until I find that one person or source that agrees with me :rolleyes:

Instead I found a Huddler who's answer that I agreed with ( see Irish answer above )

From this unlikely source: http://online.wsj.co...405322525530870 Wildcat was invented in 1905 as "single wing"

Great read ,, thanks !

I did find it humorous that they used Tim Tebow for reference being that when he was with the JETS he blamed the Wildcat for ruining his career

From this unlikely source: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203440104574405322525530870 Wildcat was invented in 1905 as "single wing"

I remember my grandpa telling me about running the single wing on the football team of the orphanage that he grew up in. No bullhonda.