[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are not watching football anymore

Cowboyz1

I don't know what to call it now but after watching the Saints get bailed out yet again by a ruffing call on the Niners, I know the game is no more. The defense can't play defense anymore. I am discussed. They are taking the game away from us and handing it over to the puss world we now seem to be living in. It's a sad day for our beloved game as we see it dumded down to some sort of touch game.

So what do you suggest? Remove the defenseless player protections and watch more of our heroes eat their guns in their 50's? (Or 40, or 20's?). You wanna see more Kyle Orton, Ryan Mallet, and Brock Osweiler playing QB? You wanna see the NFL get their brains sued out because they now know of some of the dangers yet refuse to protect players against them? You want to see more players splayed out on the ground, flopping like fish out of water, after getting rammed at full speed in the head?

Guess what else - smoking is bad for you. Pregnant women shouldn't drink or take most medications. And kids shouldn't play with lead based paint. Unless of course you don't want to be a suzuki. Then you should do all of the above more.

When you learn about new risks, you make changes. It's how the world works. It's ignorant and flabbergasting that we still have people pissing and moaning about this instead of realizing that guys like Junior Seau and Dave Duerson might not have eaten their guns, might still be around, if we had known the risks earlier and been able to figure out ways to make it safer.

• Like 2

So what do you suggest? Remove the defenseless player protections and watch more of our heroes eat their guns in their 50's? (Or 40, or 20's?). You wanna see more Kyle Orton, Ryan Mallet, and Brock Osweiler playing QB? You wanna see the NFL get their brains sued out because they now know of some of the dangers yet refuse to protect players against them? You want to see more players splayed out on the ground, flopping like fish out of water, after getting rammed at full speed in the head?

Guess what else - smoking is bad for you. Pregnant women shouldn't drink or take most medications. And kids shouldn't play with lead based paint. Unless of course you don't want to be a suzuki. Then you should do all of the above more.

When you learn about new risks, you make changes. It's how the world works. It's ignorant and flabbergasting that we still have people pissing and moaning about this instead of realizing that guys like Junior Seau and Dave Duerson might not have eaten their guns, might still be around, if we had known the risks earlier and been able to figure out ways to make it safer.

:clap:

so just let QB's sit back there and pick you apart? got it

These new rules wouldn't have done chit to save Seau or Duerson most likely. Do these penalties really deter anything? The culture in the NFL is one of macho guys who play through whatever ailments they can get away with playing through, despite knowing the long term consequences. These guys don't think about when they are going to be 45 or 50 years old... Hell, just look at how they manage their money and you can tell that much. I'm not disagreeing about the importance of safety, but I question how truly effective the current system is. There is also a point at which the integrity of the game is at risk. It's already jacked up with the absurd number of touchbacks (and lack of a KR on the pro bowl as a result).

Violent hits are not automatically illegal, despite how the refs seem to be calling games these days. The fecking sport is violent by nature.

You would think so but not anymore I guess... What do they want these guys to do pitter patter and assess the situation before they hit someone? For truck sakes the refs delegated the outcome of the game these days it's trucking pathetic! I give up there's a flag on every other play now and it's just bullhonda. Might as well have them where flags and the QBs where there practice red shirts for the games as well. The game was not mistake free by the Niners today obviously there were bonehead plays and coaching decisions but c'mon they were jobbed today period

These new rules wouldn't have done chit to save Seau or Duerson most likely. Do these penalties really deter anything? The culture in the NFL is one of macho guys who play through whatever ailments they can get away with playing through, despite knowing the long term consequences. These guys don't think about when they are going to be 45 or 50 years old... Hell, just look at how they manage their money and you can tell that much. I'm not disagreeing about the importance of safety, but I question how truly effective the current system is. There is also a point at which the integrity of the game is at risk. It's already jacked up with the absurd number of touchbacks (and lack of a KR on the pro bowl as a result).

+1

Despite all we've learned about the long term effects of head injuries, there are still players who (even after multiple concussions) go RIGHT back after it as soon as they are cleared to play. That is one of the big problems I have with the NFL being sued. How many of those/these players would have heeded warnings and shown more caution over the years even if the NFL had done more to make the medical findings known?

What do they want these guys to do pitter patter and assess the situation before they hit someone?

Some pitter patter calls against the Seahawks last year helped the 49ers a ton last year.

If it wasn't for Earl Thoms barely scraping Tannehill's facemask : http://www.nfl.com/n...er-for-15k-fine

Hawks win the division and 49ers go in as a wildcard.

Be thankful how the pitty patter calls helped you last year.

Edited by Bobby Brown

so just let QB's sit back there and pick you apart? got it

Sure, if you are my 9 year old nephew. Pouting helps too.

Or, you can adjust to the new rules and understand you can't just go balls to the wall at the QB without consequences. You have to be more cautious, and that's exactly what the NFL wants. The Chiefs have had a lot of success getting to the QB, as have plenty of other defenses.

+1

Despite all we've learned about the long term effects of head injuries, there are still players who (even after multiple concussions) go RIGHT back after it as soon as they are cleared to play. That is one of the big problems I have with the NFL being sued. How many of those/these players would have heeded warnings and shown more caution over the years even if the NFL had done more to make the medical findings known?

Which is fine if that's an informed decision they make on their own. That doesn't mean, however, that they shouldn't still try to minimize risks. It's risky to get on a motorcycle or into a racecar, yet that doesn't mean those sports don't keep trying to improve safety. As should the NFL.

The NFL wasn't sued because of the risks. They were sued because they allegedly had medical information about the level of risk and didn't share it with the players. Had that been the case, and had it been proven, we'd be watching Drew Brees playing for the Alouettes next season.

• Like 2

Some pitter patter calls against the Seahawks last year helped the 49ers a ton last year.

If it wasn't for Earl Thoms barely scraping Tannehill's facemask : http://www.nfl.com/n...er-for-15k-fine

Hawks win the division and 49ers go in as a wildcard.

Be thankful how the pitty patter calls helped you last year.

Listen here Whitney I give a truck less about last year and more of what the NFL has become!! Last year is last year girl I'm more thinking about things going forward... Soooo come with some this year stuff And let's see where it leads us! So far it's up in the air comprende

Listen here Whitney I give a truck less about last year and more of what the NFL has become!! Last year is last year girl I'm more thinking about things going forward... Soooo come with some this year stuff And let's see where it leads us! So far it's up in the air comprende

I could give a truck about last year to...whatever giving a truck means.

Maybe if Kaep kisses his bicep another time the 9ers wouldn't be tied with the Arizona Cardinals!

Ok how about block better. Payton manning seems to never get hit on either team he plays for! This is football. Tackle football. If your 5 foot whatever your going to take hits up around your head. Get bigger qb. Its the same reason you dont see 190lb linebackers. That hit although hard was totally legal for a 6 ft 6 de coming in to tackle a 6ft qb. What he should have crouched down before he hit him. Sorry that was a great play that should have stood. Hell you could bring in a midget and get a call on every play because you hit him to high or go to low. Risk of the game imo. Actually that may be one hell of a future strategy sign a midget and put him in shotgun and call screen protection. With todays rules you could march down the field on 15 yard ruffing calls as long as your little guy could hold up.

Edited by Cowboyz1

I do think we're going to see some form of 2-hand-touch for QB's during the lifetime of a lot of us. That is where this is headed. And I have to admit, if I ran the league and had a vested interest, I'd probably protect my biggest attractions as well.

I do think we're going to see some form of 2-hand-touch for QB's during the lifetime of a lot of us. That is where this is headed. And I have to admit, if I ran the league and had a vested interest, I'd probably protect my biggest attractions as well.

The NFL's biggest attraction is the violence of the game, something the league understands very well and actively markets, and that the players enthusiastically and willingly participate in.

Agreed with the pussification of the NFL. I tried arguing this years ago with Harrison was getting all the attention and got lambasted for trying to stick up for him. I was not just sticking up for the Steelers at the time, but the future of the NFL. The problem for me now is that it is not totally consistent. I think they should make the rules more definite so that refs judgement is taken out as much as possible.

1. A rule that every tackle must be an attempted wrap.

2. No wrapping around the neck or head.

I think this would solve a lot of issues especially all the flying to the leg injuries at the moment. Also in this context this would have been a foul, but it if was consistently called I think the defender would have found a way to lower his arm a little as to not incur the penalty.

This kind of argument drives me nuts. Please don't try to tell me that NFL players do not understand that getting hit in the head is a part of the normal course of activity in their chosen profession, that they don't understand that concussions are really bad for one's health - especially multiple concussions, or that they had no other choice but to participate in a vocation with such high risks rather than opting out for some other line of work.

You're going to tell me that NFL players - whom virtually all, if not literally all, have at least some meaningful college level education; and whom virtually all, if not literally all, have played the sport of football for at least half of their lives on this Earth - have no reasonable and rational concept of the inherent dangers of the profession? That had the NFL not "hid" data regarding concussions that they could not possibly have been expected to find data themselves or from their own physicians that would have educated them on the risks of playing the game - not to mention the common sense aspect that the average person understands if they happen to get hit in the head severly multiple times?

Let's be completely honest. Football is a dangerous profession that every participant at the NFL level has chosen to engage in because the level of reward, from monetary compensation to the lifestyle to the fame among other things. There is significant inherent risk of injury that goes with that substantial compensation. No one has forced the players to participate against their will. And in fact, the players often forego minimum reasonable standards to help protect themselves - such as adequate padding and constant use of mouthguards on the field - and also intentionally engage in what is inherently more dangerous and by the rules of the game illegal activities such as striking with the crown of the helmet or high/low double team blocks, and more importantly knowingly and willingly do so.

Because the risks are high, there are some very unfortunate and tragic consequences. It is appalling at times, as all such tragedies are - and they happen in vocations with greater risk and much less compensation than what the NFL offers, but of course those people aren't as high profile as NFL players so we don't get inundated with their stories. But to think that NFL players were completely oblivious of these consequences and chose to participate voluntarily with no foreknowledge of what are in fact the inherent dangers of the game is frankly ludicrous.

This is just another example of the victim mentality excusing all the consequences brought on by personal choice, something which we as a society wallow in and encourage. I believe that the NFL fully understands the nature of the violence of the game, and as such should participate in the costs to the players. But to completely lay this at the league's feet because they hid the violence of the game and risks to health from the players, and not also hold players equally accountable for their choices seems simply unreasonable and irrational to me.

• Like 4

hmm, seems to not like to be hotlinked. Try copy/pasting the above URL into a window, works that way.

This worked for me. (would not open when clicking on link either)

On the hit itself, I don't see anything wrong. He literally hugs him around the shoulders. If that is not a legal tackle, then I don't know what is. He did not go for the head or neck area, intentionally or not. Sure it looks bad in slow-motion, but any hit in the game where a speeding defender hits a standing still guy will look just as bad. Just so much force involved when someone that big going that fast crashes into you.

EDIT: I am a browns fan, so have no bias involved on either side. If anything, I have Brees on one of my teams, so I would have a slight bias towards his side, if any at all. And I don't see anything wrong with this play.

Edited by gandalas

2. No wrapping around the neck or head.

There is a rule about hitting the QB in the head/neck area...everyone knows it...on said play with Brees, he was struck directly in the neck.
Superman Syndrome...something just about all 20somethings suffer from.

You're going to tell me that NFL players - whom virtually all, if not literally all, have at least some meaningful college level education; and whom virtually all, if not literally all, have played the sport of football for at least half of their lives on this Earth - have no reasonable and rational concept of the inherent dangers of the profession?

• Like 1