[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collusion or not?

Geo33

Team A (no shot of making playoffs) gives:

B Marsh

Murray

To team B for:

Amendola

Sproles

McFadden

Greg Jennings

It's not a keeper league. It's not a ppr league. And team B is suddenly in the playoff hunt. I'm not the commissioner but I'm debating saying something. Especially because team B is right behind me at 6-5 while I'm 7-4. Also, team A did not have any need for these players as his starting lineup is not bad.

bad trade. collusion is always difficult to detect but dmc is hurt, sproles is dinged and amendola and jennings aren't worth marshall. it's pulling off a trade by throwing out quantity for quality.

Sometimes it is not collusion but instead apathy. Team A may have given up and isn't paying much attention if they have no chance of making the playoffs and someone offered them a trade and they said "sure why not". Now that is almost as bad as collusion because if someone in your league stops trying it can really screw things up on so many levels (trades, waiver moves, bad line-up decisions, invalid line-ups or starting players on bye, etc, etc) resulting in other people's playoff chances getting hurt. That is why if you are playing for "prizes" in your league there must be some sort of penalty for coming in last so you can avoid people not caring. Of course in order to truly evaluate this trade I'd need to see both of their entire rosters, but on the surface this is a horribly one-sided trade.

• Like 1

Sometimes it is not collusion but instead apathy. Team A may have given up and isn't paying much attention if they have no chance of making the playoffs and someone offered them a trade and they said "sure why not". Now that is almost as bad as collusion because if someone in your league stops trying it can really screw things up on so many levels (trades, waiver moves, bad line-up decisions, invalid line-ups or starting players on bye, etc, etc) resulting in other people's playoff chances getting hurt. That is why if you are playing for "prizes" in your league there must be some sort of penalty for coming in last so you can avoid people not caring. Of course in order to truly evaluate this trade I'd need to see both of their entire rosters, but on the surface this is a horribly one-sided trade.

While not as clear-cut as all out collusion, I'd still say that a team letting another team stack their players because they don't care is certainly not in the spirit of the game. Their reasoning may be more innocent, but the damaging effect is just the same when teams pool players to one team.... Plus how can you really be sure that they aren't secretly working together? You can't prove collusion in most cases, but you can certainly deal with collusive-type behavior if it's fishy enough.

I also agree that this trade is questionable enough to ask for an explanation of why he feels it improves his team and gives him a better chance to win.

You don't have to agree with his reasoning, he just has to have a good reason besides "I'm out, so who cares". If he can't, then of course the trade shouldn't stand and I'd at least not be inviting the tanking team back next year, no matter whther it was apathy or collusion, (and maybe even the trade-raper, depending on how active they were in persuading the non-playoff team).

Edited by delusions of grandeur
  • Like 1

I said something in the message board and then received the following facebook message:

him: How about you ask me why I dId a trade instead of assuming stuff

me: Why did you do the trade

him: Because if you look at my team all of my players were hurt including murray being shaken up so I got back sproles who was suppose to be the healthy starter this week, mcfadden who in the articles I read is suppose to be back this week. And two wrs which I need to have players in my lineup. For two players that produce if the team is doing something. With cutler out marshall has been doing average nothing really that special and murray has been shaken up with the cowboys starting to throw the ball a lot more. So for me the trade helped me. The other thing is if the league thought it was unfair there was the opportunity to veto it..I am a firm believer in not cheating in fantasy

me: That makes no sense..McFadden Jennings and Sproles are all hurt

Then he stopped responding..I talked to a bunch of the people in the league and half of them weren't even aware that they could veto.

And btw, here is his roster before the trade. 12 team, standard scoring

Romo, Alex Smith

Murray, T-Rich, Brian Leonard, Peyton Hillis

B-Marsh, Torey Smith, Terrence Williams, Percy Harvin, Kenny Stills

Julius Thomas, Clay

Murray for Sproles is a wash. Marshall with no Cutler for Amendola, Jennings, and McFadden, sounds like a calculated risk to try to his at least one guy on an upside cycle. Just because you don't agree with his opinion doesn't make it invalid.

• Like 1

Murray for Sproles is a wash. Marshall with no Cutler for Amendola, Jennings, and McFadden, sounds like a calculated risk to try to his at least one guy on an upside cycle. Just because you don't agree with his opinion doesn't make it invalid.

And you think Amendola and McFadden are much better? Those guys have been hurt all year. If not hurt, totally under performing. Jennings sucks. You need to have your head examined if you are thinking about trading Marshall unless you are getting Calvin, AJ, Demaryius or even Dez. Or a top 10 RB. Neither of those guys are in the top of anything except games missed because of injury. Marshall has done just as well without Cutler.

Edited by euphy
  • Like 1

Murray for Sproles/DMC gets him RB depth he doesn't have. Amendola ends up as his WR3/4 and Jennings as an upside play. I seriously see nothing wrong with the deal.
  • Like 1

Murray for Sproles/DMC gets him RB depth he doesn't have. Amendola ends up as his WR3/4 and Jennings as an upside play. I seriously see nothing wrong with the deal.

agree

only thing you could pick at IMO is that he said the team has NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS. If this is the case and there is no toilet bowl or something like that he probably shouldn't be trading this late in a redraft

And you Amendola and McFadden are much better? Those guys have been hurt all year. If not hurt, totally under performing. Jennings sucks. You need to have your head examined if you are thinking about Marshall unless you are getting Calvin, AJ, Demaryius or even Dez. Or a top 10 RB. Neither of those guys are in the top of anything except games missed because of injury. Marshall has done just as well without Cutler.

But Amendola isn't hurt now...and even hurt DMC isn't much worse than his other options at RB.

I also highly doubt you find anyone willing to give you Calvin/AJ/DT or Dez(actually no one will). You could net a top 10 RB if you find a team that is rich at RB but lacking at WR...but finding that team doesn't even mean that team will be willing to deal.

As for without Cutler, he's coming off his worst game of the year so I can see why an owner might be worried about his value.

agree

only thing you could pick at IMO is that he said the team has NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS. If this is the case and there is no toilet bowl or something like that he probably shouldn't be trading this late in a redraft

I don't agree with that either. People pay their money to play for the season...not until they're out of the playoffs. If you don't want eliminated teams making deals then you need to make a rule against it. Edited by keggerz

And you Amendola and McFadden are much better? Those guys have been hurt all year. If not hurt, totally under performing. Jennings sucks. You need to have your head examined if you are thinking about Marshall unless you are getting Calvin, AJ, Demaryius or even Dez. Or a top 10 RB. Neither of those guys are in the top of anything except games missed because of injury. Marshall has done just as well without Cutler.

I never said that. What I did say is that I could see someone's thought process and I allow them their opinion.

BTW, Marshall in the 3 games without Cutler:

3 for 47 in last 41 minutes

7 for 107 1 TD

4 for 42

And Alson Jeffrey has outscored him over the last 4 games.

• Like 1

I never said that. What I did say is that I could see someone's thought process and I allow them their opinion.

BTW, Marshall in the 3 games without Cutler:

3 for 47 in last 41 minutes

7 for 107 1 TD

4 for 42

And Alson Jeffrey has outscored him over the last 4 games.

I only see Jeffery outscoring Marshall twice out of the last four games. Weeks 9 & 10 Marshall seems to have prevailed by a respectable margin. 16 & 25 point performances vs. 11 & 12 point performances, in weeks 9 & 10 respectively.

But Amendola isn't hurt now...and even hurt DMC isn't much worse than his other options at RB.

I also highly doubt you find anyone willing to give you Calvin/AJ/DT or Dez(actually no one will). You could net a top 10 RB if you find a team that is rich at RB but lacking at WR...but finding that team doesn't even mean that team will be willing to deal.

As for without Cutler, he's coming off his worst game of the year so I can see why an owner might be worried about his value.

I think the point is, he has NO CHANCE AT THE PLAYOFFS. Why is he making trades?

And I have Amendola, he sucks.

Edited by euphy

I don't agree with that either. People pay their money to play for the season...not until they're out of the playoffs. If you don't want eliminated teams making deals then you need to make a rule against it.

Perhaps. I tend to think that falls in the category of things that are understood even if a specific rule does not exist, though.