[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dan Dierdorf is going to retire from broadcasting

Wolverines Fan

Big topic of discussion on another msg board I frequent that deals a lot with NFL and other sports broadcasting. I liked him and will miss him. Sounds like part of the reason was the weekly travel for games. He's getting older and like most players is probably living with a lot of pain and discomfort just walking and movig around.

I'm ok with most broadcast teams, Aikman and Buck are boring but fine. Most are so blah and vanilla but serviceable.

The one person that is unbearable for me is Phil Simms.

Arrogant and bad all at the same time. I hate him.

There have been a bunch of commentators, over the years, who have been hard to listen to. But, the guy who sticks out in my mind was Randy Cross. He's about as far from unbiased as one could get, in terms of a color commentator/broadcaster. Depending on who was playing, his nonsense was almost unbearable.

At least we don't have to listen to the likes of Tony Kornheiser or Dennis Miller anymore... Brutal.

There have been a bunch of commentators, over the years, who have been hard to listen to. But, the guy who sticks out in my mind was Randy Cross. He's about as far from unbiased as one could get, in terms of a color commentator/broadcaster. Depending on who was playing, his nonsense was almost unbearable.

At least we don't have to listen to the likes of Tony Kornheiser or Dennis Miller anymore... Brutal.

:clap:

Two of the few I could not stand during some 30+ years of watching the NFL.

Bill Maas was horrid also.

Kornheiser was Kornheiser, he didn't bug me; Miller fell into the problem many ex-jocks run into as well - instead of telling it like it was or as he saw it, he just became totally vanilla and inoffensive. Might've turned out differently if he'd been more opinionated; it didn't help that Dan Fouts openly resented his presence in the booth and undercut Miller every chance he got.

I didn't hate him but he seems to have a "I'm not a dumb lineman" chip on his shoulder. I would like to see a booth partner ask him "wtf do you know about it, you're just a dumb lineman" just to see his reaction. Just once. It might only happen once, but just once.

I will expand the discussion to college football so that I can reiterate my hatred of Lou Holtz.

NFL Network did well getting Mayock. The had a strong multiyear run of me muting the Thursday Night game until he showed up.

I will expand the discussion to college football so that I can reiterate my hatred of Lou Holtz.

NFL Network did well getting Mayock. The had a strong multiyear run of me muting the Thursday Night game until he showed up.

eh...Mayock was good when he first started, I find him annoying now

Listening to them is better and faster than sticking one's finger down one's throat to puke.

:lol:

Funny I seem to recall a lot of anti-Dierdorf people here in days gone by. IMO his analysis has its good and bad days but he has a really good voice for announcing.

As for past announcers, Kornhole, McGwuire and Theismann were some of worst ever (for old-timers, it's Meredith the circus clown and ol nasal nose Cosell). Miller didn't work as he just wasn't a fit, but I give them credit for at least trying something different.

Yeah... Mayock is a significant upgrade to what they had before, which was horrible (don't even remember who it was, but I remember it being similar to watching a documentary on the National Geographic channel). No excitement/enthusiasm, just watching a game with some bland commentary here and there.

He has gotten slightly annoying at times (I think it's because he tries too hard to be funny, when most of us would just prefer the all-business Mayock that we grew to love watching the NFL combine, etc.). Granted, I figured he would change slightly in his new role, and he's still a major improvement over what was before, but I could do without the seemingly forced humor. All in all, though, he's still pretty good.

The bottom line is that everybody has their flaws, and the more you see of the person, the more their flaws stand out. It's like spending a week with somebody on vacation, as opposed to moving in together. A week is great. They move in, though, and you start to notice all of the little annoying stuff. Guys like Gruden and Mayock were great, when we got just a taste of them from time to time. Now that we see them on a regular basis, they're more annoying (Gruden moreso than Mayock) at times.

Brad, Brad, Brad, Brad,

He's the only announcer I can think of who is constantly using his partner's name. Listening to him I feel they are having their own conversation and not speaking to the milloins watching. And that vest, what's up with that.

But yeah he is a huge upgrade, and the pair in general are pretty good.

Unlike some I rarely let an announcer ruin the experience of watching the game. Kornhole was probably the closest I got to having to mute the TV.