[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Commissioner in need of some advice

mmevans217

The commissioner of our league resigned, and I was appointed to take over the job. Well, low and behold, everything that could go wrong, has done just that.

I have 2 situations that I need advice on how to handle...

1. I have an owner that posted on the message boards that he would trade any player on his team to anyone for anyone, but if that team was to win, he wants $100. Before he admitted this on the message board, I had received messages that he was offering ridiculous trades via text message with other owners (one of which was my husband).

2. Another owner (who actually has a shot at the playoffs), did an almost complete roster drop because a trade that he was involved in did not go through. The owner's response was that he was making a point.

** Both owners have paid their entry fees for the season.

Any advice that yall could give would be greatly appreciated! I never would have thought this much craziness could happen in a 24 hr period, but boy was I wrong!

The commissioner of our league resigned, and I was appointed to take over the job. Well, low and behold, everything that could go wrong, has done just that.

1. I have an owner that posted on the message boards that he would trade any player on his team to anyone for anyone, but if that team was to win, he wants $100. Before he admitted this on the message board, I had received messages that he was offering ridiculous trades via text message with other owners (one of which was my husband).

2. Another owner (who actually has a shot at the playoffs), did an almost complete roster drop because a trade that he was involved in did not go through. The owner's response was that he was making a point.

Any advice that yall could give would be greatly appreciated! I never would have thought this much craziness could happen in a 24 hr period, but boy was I wrong!

1.) Allow the deal, but on the condition that the $100 be collected outside the league, and if the other owner decides not to pay, or leaves the league, too bad. It does not affect entry fees, and the $100 is in no way associated to the league in any way. And if he says he won't play, that his entry fee is the $100 that (other owner) owes him, well, tell him to collect that money himself and then pay you (as commish) the fee. And that's the only way you'll allow it to happen. I consider this like a "side bet" of, "I bet you $100 you won't win with these players". That's not something part of any league I've ever seen or heard about.

2.) Let the owner eat his sour grapes. My guess is he'd be gone next year if he's THAT upset over it. Plan accordingly and have another owner (or two) in the wings waiting.

You mean both owners have paid their 2014 entry fees ?

Not that it would change my mind but curious before I answer

The first guy should go to hell. The second should meet him there.

Curious though...why was the second guys trade denied?

In our league, we vote on trades and the majority wins. His trade was Ben Tate and Alfred Morris for Jimmy Graham and Demarco Murray. The no votes came from the other owners in their divisions that did not want the other owners to have a strengthened team.

In our league, we vote on trades and the majority wins. His trade was Ben Tate and Alfred Morris for Jimmy Graham and Demarco Murray. The no votes came from the other owners in their divisions that did not want the other owners to have a strengthened team.

I also belong to a league that allows votes on smelly trades but the vote to over turn must be unanimous , teams involve may not vote , 100% against form the whole team or trade goes thru

I would love to kick them both out of the league but then that would give unfair advantages to the remaining teams that they have left to play which hurts the other teams in the league that are actually having to fight for playoff spots.

I have played for 7 years; and I have always felt that the point to FF was to field your best team possible and respect the competitive aspect of the game.

• Like 1

The first order of business for NEXT SEASON, would be to get rid of that horrible rule where owners vote on trades. Owners will act selfishly as you have seen, there is no reason to allow the majority of owners to control another owners team by allowing trades or not. Let the commissioner (who the league somehow appoints or allows) who is charged with running the league decide whether trades should be allowed. And generally every trade should be allowed, unless there is collusion, roster sharing or other shenanigans going on.

Mustofbeendrunk has a good alternative if you must allow votes on the trade. Making it unanimous (excluding owners involved in the trade) gives a better chance that it least one reasonable owner with morals will not vote against it out of spite or to prevent teams from improving.

I also wonder, is there money involved, if so how much (what is entry fee, and the big payout for the winner). If little or no money, its less of a headache.

Being commish is not easy, and probably not fair that this was just thrust upon you. What happened to the commish, why'd they resign? Are they a team owner and are they continuing to run their team.

I think most of the others here are giving good advice. I don't like kicking people out of a leauge either, never done it in 20 years as commish. If the majority of owners would be ok with that action it might be ok. Then just run those teams using some guidelines for weekly line-ups (e.g. a web site with projections would dictate who starts).

1.) Allow the deal, but on the condition that the $100 be collected outside the league, and if the other owner decides not to pay, or leaves the league, too bad. It does not affect entry fees, and the $100 is in no way associated to the league in any way. And if he says he won't play, that his entry fee is the $100 that (other owner) owes him, well, tell him to collect that money himself and then pay you (as commish) the fee. And that's the only way you'll allow it to happen. I consider this like a "side bet" of, "I bet you $100 you won't win with these players". That's not something part of any league I've ever seen or heard about.

2.) Let the owner eat his sour grapes. My guess is he'd be gone next year if he's THAT upset over it. Plan accordingly and have another owner (or two) in the wings waiting.

Re: #1:

Huh? That's pretty much textbook collusion to pool players to one team for a piece of the winnings.

• Like 2

I also like the idea of a alternative that musthavebeendrunk said to overturn trades...will note that for next year.

The prior commissioner left for personal reasons, but is no longer involved with the league.

There is a pretty big chunk of change involved. $150 entry fee. $1,000 for 1st/$500 for 2nd/$150 for highest point total. We also have a "toilet bowl" in which the winning team gets next year's entry fee paid.

I have almost come to the decision that if these owners are going to act like juveniles, I will treat them as such by blocking them from add/drop, trades, etc.

I did add owner #2's players back to his roster, but in retaliation, he is benching studs and starting his bye week players.

Remove them now from the league before their cancerous behavior spills over to the other owners and completely destroys what is left of your league.

At this point, I'd be sure that the rest of the league is fully aware of their actions, and essentially just refund everyone their money for the season and be done with it. Invite the remaining owners to form a new league next year, and maybe try come up with something for them for the remainder of the season (such as a pool where each owner picks a lineup each week for the remainder of the season, no duplicating players, most points over remainder of the season wins). Those two are taking what is meant to be a fun hobby and making it a pain all the while making a mockery of themselves in the process.

Yes, the horrible rule in place about voting on trades is the trigger for #2, but his behavior is going way beyond a normal human response.

Edited by Big Country

Big Country,

I thought about giving the entry fee money back, but the owners that are locks for the playoffs (we have a couple really awesome teams), would never go for that due to the payout for the top 2.

I have had a splitting headache for 2 days over this. Other owners are aware of what is going on, but they can't seem to agree on a plan of action. I don't like to upset people (guess that's my motherly nature), but I can't appease everyone; however; something has to be done.

I really do appreciate the advice from everyone. I am hoping that this can resolved and the rest of this season can continue on. I love FF and don't want to end this season. I can't make the playoffs (too many injuries and bye week dilemas), but heck, I could still win the "toilet bowl" lol

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can understand owners with strong teams not wanting to give up a chance a nice payday, it is exactly why I asked about the money. But refunding them all may still be the fairest thing to everybody.

Are the two problem owners pretty much out of the playoffs (tried to reread the original post to find out but not sure)? If so a compromise may be refund the other owners and split that $300 from those 2 teams evenly amongst the top few teams (the serious contenders).

Would the other owners agree to locking those two out (no roster moves etc) and you (or if possible impartial 3rd parties) managing their teams with best possible line-ups?

If this is a local league and you can get all the owners together for a dinner/drinks and hash something out that may be helpful. Easier than over email or some message board. If not are there a few who are respected and influential that you could get together with and work out something fair?

Lastly, just a word of advice from a commish who takes things too seriously, this is not life and death. This does not overrule your whole life. Do NOT let it ruin your day/week/month. You're doing your league a favor being commish, especially with it being thrust upon you late in the season. I've had many times where a league issue eats away at me, and if I talk to other owners (or even my co-commish) I'm often told "don't sweat it."

Good luck.

Scenario #1 is textbook collusion/player pooling as advised and should not be allowed for those reasons.

Scenario #2 is probably more difficult to deal with than the 1st. I would be curious to know if the rules are published and if so what they say if anything about partial/invalid lineups. Those would be the biggest determining factor of what actions to take. If there is nothing in place, then you may have to simply deal with him submitting bad lineups till the season ends or make a league decision to remove the owner and set his weekly lineup using either a publicized list like ESPN or simply by putting in the highest point scorers for the season on the roster as the starters regardless of match up.

Naturally, it should be reasoned with him that his actions not only affect him but his league mates. He agreed to play by these rules when entering the season, and knew the possible consequences of playing with said rules including trade votes. If he is unwilling to participate in a civilized manner, he should not be invited back the following season.

Whatever you do when you decide, lay it out thoughtfully and logically, and that's it. Don't hem and haw and be wishy washy and don't change your mind.

People are going to fight for their interests but in the end they know not everyone will be happy. Hopefully they'll respect your making a strong decision.

Don't look for a perfect fix, there isn't one.

• Like 1

One owner is definitely out (2-9), and the other is 6-5 which happens to be the 4th best record in our league. The one that has a chance is the one that did the roster dumping.

I have spoken with a couple of other owners that agreed that locking them out and using the weekly oredictions would be the best way to solve this. In our league, we have a lot of owners that work offshore or pipeline, so getting everyone together isn;t an easy thing to do.

For the life of me, I cannot understand the roster dumping... I mean this guy had RGIII, LeSean McCoy, Alfred Morris, Nick Foles, Brandon Marshall, DeSean Jackson, Ben tate, just to name a few off the top of my head. it would be different if he didn't have a chance, but with that kind of lineup and smart play, he could be $1000 richer in just a few weeks!

I know I shouldn't sweat it and calm down, but I don't work that way. I am not that kind of person. it will bug the crap out of me!