[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints - Seahawks: Monday Night Showdown

Tripleshot

It's not too early to get this thread going since tomorrow's Monday night game doesn't mean much, unless the Niners somehow lose and give the Cardinals a game lead on them.

Playoff homefield advantage is up for grabs, and it's going to play a factor in who goes to the SuperBowl. Let's get it on!

I'm calling this one Seahawks 30, Saints 20. Brees doesn't like outdoors or being on the road. While they beat the Niners, the Seahawks have a comparably tough defense but stronger in the secondary whereas the Niners have the better linebackers. But that game was in Nawlins, so this one won't be as close.

Edited by Tripleshot

With Seattle's corner situation less than perfect right now, I'd venture that the Saints will manage more than 20 points. Plus, I'll be in a must win next weekend vs. the Bree's owner in my main local which all but assures at least 3 TDs for Brees.

He couldn't get three against the Falcons. Even Browner's backup is better than any of Atlanta's corners, and the pass rush isn't even close. even so, it's never the opposing team's WRs that the Seahawks have trouble with, it's their pass-catching TEs and RBs, so Brees just might get those 3 TDs.

Normally I would think that this would be a game that the Saints have no shot in. But I have an odd feeling that they really step up and take the Seahawks down. I know the Hawks are a different team at home (read: nearly unbeatable) but the fact that they nearly lost to the Texans and did lose to the Colts (yes, on the road) and were in nailbiters with the Titans, Arizona and heck even the Rams and Bucs... leads me to believe this Saints team with a MUCH improved defense is going to make things very interesting.

Huge game, so you know the crowd is going to be simply electric. But I think the Saints pull off a 24-20 win.

Edited by darin3

He couldn't get three against the Falcons. Even Browner's backup is better than any of Atlanta's corners, and the pass rush isn't even close. even so, it's never the opposing team's WRs that the Seahawks have trouble with, it's their pass-catching TEs and RBs, so Brees just might get those 3 TDs.

I wouldn't judge by the Atlanta game. The Saints played pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball. Plus, that being a division game with our biggest rival, it's almost always a tight game.

That said, Seattle will be extremely tough to beat at home. I'm expecting it to be very close, but the home field advantage will probably push it Seattle's way. The Saints do always seem to come up big on Monday night and they both have extra time to prepare and get healthy.

With Seattle's corner situation less than perfect right now, I'd venture that the Saints will manage more than 20 points. Plus, I'll be in a must win next weekend vs. the Bree's owner in my main local which all but assures at least 3 TDs for Brees.

The Atlanta game has very little to no bearing on the outcome of this one. Atlanta was admittedly treating that game as their "Super Bowl." Not to mention, it's a divisional opponent that always plays them tough, etc. I'd say it has about as much to do with the upcoming game as the SEA-TB game does... If we use that as a barometer for this game, the Saints would win in a blowout.

The general consensus, among SEA homers, was that Thurmond is as good as (or better than) Browner, that they won't miss Browner a bit, that Thurmond would start for any other NFL team, etc. That might be true (that Thurmond => Browner), but it doesn't change the fact that their 4th corner just became their 3rd, 5th moves up to 4th, etc. So, the depth is affected, and in a game against the Saints, secondary depth is pretty important.

Now, it appears that Mr. Thurmond has been suspended for Josh Gordon use, and will be out until Week 17. So, their 4th CB (special teamer Maxwell) just got pushed into the starting lineup, and their 5th CB (Jeremy Lane) goes to the slot. Yeah... It's getting pretty thin.

KJR 950 Seattle's Dave Mahler hears that Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond III's four-game suspension is for Josh Gordon.

He'll be eligible to return in Week 17. The Seahawks will likely turn to usual special teamer Byron Maxwell at right cornerback, with Jeremy Lane in the slot and Richard Sherman manning his usual left corner post. Consider Seattle a slightly more favorable matchup for opposing pass games. They still have elite safeties, Sherman, and a ferocious, deep group of pass rushers. Nov 24 - 12:01 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5897/walter-thurmond-iii

In other news, Seattle has now reached out to Antoine Winfield again.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/277414/report-seahawks-reach-out-to-cb-winfield

I'm not saying any of the above means that the Saints will win, but it at least makes things interesting. Not to mention, who covers Graham? Chancellor? Should be a fun game to watch, and I think it's likely to be a preview of the NFC Championship game. This game is huge, in terms of who gets HFA advantage throughout the playoffs.

Last year at this time Browner was just getting ready to start serving his suspension for PEDs and Thurmon was out injured. Maxwell and Lane played plenty, and held their own. The Seahawks secondary is generally touted as the deepest in the league, and we'll see that depth play out. There is talk of bringing Antonio Winfield back. And I expect that with Seattle's much improved pass rush, this may not be as big a deal as everyone s making it to be.

Yes, there will be some kind of dropoff from Thurmond to Maxwell/Lane, but will it be as big a dropoff for them as it is for the Saints' Greer to his backup? The Seahawks lead the league(might be second now with the bye) in explosive plays from scrimmage(over 20 yards). You don't think they'll be targeting Greer's spot as well when their not running the ball down the Saints throat now that they have their entire offensive line back intact?

I expect a good game. I expect lots of Graham/Sproles/Thomas on one side and lots of Lynch/Harvin/Tate on the other side. I'll give the edge to Seattle because they're home. If they were in Nawlins, I'd give the Saints the edge.

Best football game I'll see all weekend, just hope it lives up to the hype. Hard to go against the Seahawks at home.

that depends on when your weekend starts , for me it will be the late game Turkey Day so I can tune out all the gibbering from the

10 teenagers plus their parents that will be coming over for dinner

that depends on when your weekend starts , for me it will be the late game Turkey Day so I can tune out all the gibbering from the

10 teenagers plus their parents that will be coming over for dinner

Well for me the weekend starts at 5 today as I don't have to work again until Monday. :brow:

But I won't be watching football on Thanksgiving :shocking: (I know turn in my man card, and my US citizenship). Will be at my brother's in rural TN where they have very little TV coverage and are not sports fans. I'll drive home Saturday and watch 1-2 games from Thanksgiving with my other brother that night. Then football all day Sunday (as it should be).

It should be a great game. Carroll has to put Sherman on Graham. If not, then Graham will shred the Hawks' D. This could also be Harvin's coming out party. I'm leaning Seahawks, 27-23.

I don't think Sherm is going to see much of Graham. Don't forget, we also have two of the best safeties in the league, and a few LB's that can cover. Graham will always have an advantage, but not quite as much as he does against other teams. I expect Earl Thomas to pull coverage on him quite a bit, and Kam Chancellor to rough him up a bit. You might see Sherman draw coverage on him on 3rd downs, but without any other CB's with any experience, I think putting Sherm on Graham is just going to open up the other stuff. I'd rather see some bracketing with LB's and safeties.

When the Seahawks give up passing yards, they give them up to TEs and RBs over the middle. This plays right into the Saints strengths and I'm far more concerned with Graham/Sproles/Pierre than I am any of their wideouts. If they are going to affect the Saints passing game, it's going to be their pass rush getting to Brees and making him throw earlier than he wants to throw. Well, that and the fact that the home/road splits for their offense is pretty pronounced. Weather forecast for Monday night(at this point) is 38 degrees with 30% chance for rain or rain/snow showers. That plays right into the Seahawks strengths.

I don't think Sherm is going to see much of Graham. Don't forget, we also have two of the best safeties in the league, and a few LB's that can cover. Graham will always have an advantage, but not quite as much as he does against other teams. I expect Earl Thomas to pull coverage on him quite a bit, and Kam Chancellor to rough him up a bit. You might see Sherman draw coverage on him on 3rd downs, but without any other CB's with any experience, I think putting Sherm on Graham is just going to open up the other stuff. I'd rather see some bracketing with LB's and safeties.

Good point there. SEA needs to make sure they have a LB smacking Graham at the line of scrimmage. If he gets a free release then he will be too much for the backside coverage.

If the Saints pull off the win tonight & then the 49ers at home next Sunday it could make for an interesting NFC west race

I predict that round two of the NFC playoffs is going to be Niners at Seattle and Carolina at New Orleans(or vice versa, but same matchup regardless of locale). With Crabtree back, neither the NFC East or North winners are going to survive the wildcards.

I predict that round two of the NFC playoffs is going to be Niners at Seattle and Carolina at New Orleans(or vice versa, but same matchup regardless of locale). With Crabtree back, neither the NFC East or North winners are going to survive the wildcards.

well if the Saints pull off the win tonight then I see the 49ers headed to play Dallas or Detroit both are winnable , now if the Seahawks win tonight, I don't see the 49ers even making the playoffs