[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 13 Lineup Decisions

Gopher

First, let me start by saying that this is not a WDIS thread. We've all been there, whether it's Week 12/13 (and you need a win to get into the playoffs), or in the weeks of the fantasy playoffs themselves. You go to set your lineup, and there's one position in particular, where the decision simply isn't an easy one. Then, you start second-guessing yourself, wondering if maybe it is an easy decision, afterall (and you're just over-thinking it)?

So, let's hear it... What lineup move are you most worried about, going into this next week?

For me, I've got a couple that are in the back of my mind. First, I've got Peyton Manning and Nick Foles in one league where I'm 6-6. If I win, I'm in the playoffs. If I lose, I've still got a decent shot at making it (due to my high total points), but it's certainly not a lock. Given last night's game for Manning, and the fact that he faces KC again next week, I'm wondering if I'm crazy for even considering Foles (who is at home against Arizona). I wouldn't say I'm leaning towards Foles... As good as he's been, I haven't even considered him, other than on Manning's bye week. But, let's just say that the thought did cross my mind (briefly) this morning.

More than likely, I roll with Manning, who has gotten me to this point. KC's defense is battered a bit, after yesterday, and I think he'll have to score more to win, than he did last week in Denver (because KC will score more at home than they did in Denver, as well). But, I probably won't make a decision until later in the week, after I've looked at some projections, and given it a bit more thought (and probably changed my mind 2-3 times in the process).

The other decision that I'm pondering, in multiple leagues, is also related to KC... More specifically, what to do with their defense. Not only for this week, but potentially over the next 3-4 weeks. A month ago, I would have said that they're a must-start, against anybody other than Denver. Now, I'm not so sure. They gave up 40+ to SD yesterday, at home. On the other hand, Denver's offense also sputtered yesterday, and turnovers killed them down the stretch. I have other options in the leagues where I own KC's defense (Arizona, Buffalo, etc.), so I'll probably keep them on my bench, just to be safe, at least for this week.

So, again, what have you got, in terms of decisions that are bound to keep you up at night?

Knowshon Moreno is worrying me with his injury. Also, trying to decide whether or not to start Kendall Wright or Amendola at flex.

Barring a 400-yard performance by Frank Gore tonight, I will more or less have locked up a spot in the playoffs due to my high point total.

The other obvious ones (that will be tough calls, in the next few weeks) will be guys like Harvin, Crabtree, and even Julius Thomas. In other words, when they are back, are they back 100%? Does Harvin go from limited snaps last week against MIN, to 100% against the Saints? I'm guessing he does, unless the game is a blowout (and SEA doesn't need him). Not sure when Crabtree comes back, but it should be soon, no? Still, I'm not sure I would start him, in a playoff matchup, unless I'd already seen him play for a week (or had literally no other option).

As for Thomas, Denver has other options at TE, so I don't think he comes back until he's close to 100%. In other words, I don't think his playing or not determines whether they win in KC. If he's healthy, he plays. If he needs another week or two, to rest for the playoffs, that's what they'll give him. I think the KC/Denver game will come down to who can cause/avoid turnovers (very similar to what we saw last night, on both sides of the ball).

In one league (about to be 10-2 but could use more of a cushion) I'm debating on Brees on MNF in Seattle or Keenum at home against the Pats. After watching what Keenum did (nothing) against the Jags, I'm just going to roll with Brees.

In the same league, I need to choose 5 out of: AP, McCoy, Murray, Calvin Johnson, Marshall and Andre Johnson. AP, McCoy, Megatron and Marshall are no-brainers. But Murray faces OAK (yummy) while Johnson falls in line with Keenum's production. So question mark there.

And globally speaking, while the "always start your studs" and "start the players you think will score the most points" mantras always ring true, there are some gray areas. Do you plan accordingly based on your opponent's lineup? Typically no, but if they have a rockstar lineup, maybe you go with your home run, boom or bust guys ahead of your "steady eddies". If your opponent's team is facing some adversity, whether it be with matchups or injuries, maybe you just stock your lineup with the guys you know are going to put up a solid statline.

This is the time things change up a bit.

In only one of my leagues am I fighting for a playoff spot right now, the other two I have it locked up. And on the off chance that Kaepernick and Davis combine for less than 15 points tonight then I may be able to secure on there, but let's assume that won't be the case. Here's what I have to deal with:

QBs - Rogers and Tolzien. I obviously need QB help again, since I went with Keenum after Rogers got hurt, then Tolzien after the benching in Houston the other week. There are QBs on the wire who could help me though. It will probably be pick one who is steady but not spectacular and hope for the best.

RBs - Already lost Martin and Mike James. I get Gio back from his bye, but I may have lost Moreno now. All I have behind them is Ellington and Ogbannaya, with nothing on the WW. Even if there was, my free agent budget is gone. Ellington has a better chance for a home run but is at Philly. Ogbannaya has a nice matchup against the Jags next week. This will be a tough one to decide.

At WR I have Jeffrey, Stills, Burleson, Boykin, and R. Mathews. Jeffrey and Burleson are probably locks for next week, need to decide on Stills (home run and we get bonus points for long TDs), Boykin (less risk, but far less reward than Stills), and Mathews (complete crap shoot there but has a favorable matchup).

Might need to pickup a defense too since the Chiefs are banged up pretty good and leaking the hull of the Titanic.

No pressure here - if I guess wrong, I lose. Even if I do make the playoffs somehow though, teams will be salivating at the chance to face me in the first round.

Mine is do I let my opponent win and then I face the lower seed 1st round

Or do I set my best line up :thinking:

Fantasy Football Gods would rain down on me if I was to set anything less then my best even though with a win in this league I will be facing a team who came of late and out scored my team by a 28 pts average the last 4 weeks

Mine is do I let my opponent win and then I face the lower seed 1st round

Or do I set my best line up :thinking:

Fantasy Football Gods would rain down on me if I was to set anything less then my best even though with a win in this league I will be facing a team who came of late and out scored my team by a 28 pts average the last 4 weeks

Put yourself in the other spot... I'd be pissed if someone's benching of their best players led me to miss the playoffs.

• Like 1

Great topic. Playoff spot will officially be wrapped up tonight and in the driver's seat for the #2 seed and a first round bye. I'm afraid my whole team is going to torment me for the playoffs:

QB - Brady vs. RG3. Had both these guys since draft day. Luckily I haven't cost myself a win by picking the wrong one... yet....

RB/WR/Flex - Forte, Gore, Gordon, A.J., Welker. Only 4 spots (1RB, 1WR, 2 Flex) to choose from for these 5 guys. Picked up Cooper a few weeks ago as well.

TE - Fleener vs Cameron. Traded for Cameron a few weeks ago right before his production went down hill...

D - Carolina vs. Arizona.

At least I'm only carrying one kicker... :woot:

Interesting thread.

I should win this week barring a huuuuge night from vernon davis. Fighting for a playoff spot, biggest matchup of the year next week as I'm taking on the guy 1 game up on me for the last spot.

Ill struggle with my flex spot: Andre brown, vereen or harvin. After yesterday was thinking brown for sure, but vereen seems like hell get even more work with the other rb fumbling so much.

I'm either division winner or a wild card, but a win clinches the division, better $ and playoff position.

QB Rivers gets the nod over a returning Dalton, almost benched Rivers for Glennon on waivers this week, would have lost. Not second guessing that again.

RB - here is where I really struggle, hopefully Sproles returns and I pair him with Chris Johnson. Otherwise it is starks, or Ivory if he can go, or some other WW darling.

WR - How could I bench Calvin, Fitz or DemThomas? I cannot but having Edelman, Boykin and Randle combine for 41 (3 I started had 38) had me scratching my head after this week

TE - Witten over Pettigrew as usual

D - honestly this has been a head scratcher most of the season when I've had 2 units. Couple weeks ago the wrong one almost cost me, this week the right one (BAL over CHI) helped me win.

K - right now its Crosby every day, after trading Hauschka earlier in the season. Will add a backup K for the playoffs before this week starts, and hopefully don't get cute with that player (maybe I'll wait to add until after Thursday so I'm not tempted).

Good luck to everybody with the tough decisions, don't over think it. If it doesn't feel right don't do it.

Edited by stevegrab

Put yourself in the other spot... I'd be pissed if someone's benching of their best players led me to miss the playoffs.

I agree but in this league the playoff teams are already set its all about the seeding this week

No team can make or miss the playoffs regardless if or any other team wins or loses

Still I always put my best line up in , this time though that means with a win I play the tougher team next week

On the bright side, you'll have it solved by Thursday. ;)

True enough.

I guess the bright side to Thursday Night Football is that Thanksgiving week lineups don't sneak up on us anymore because we are used to it now.

I agree but in this league the playoff teams are already set its all about the seeding this week

No team can make or miss the playoffs regardless if or any other team wins or loses

Still I always put my best line up in , this time though that means with a win I play the tougher team next week

If it's just seeding, I say anger the gods...

• Like 1

I always put my best line up in, even if I am out of the running, there is some satisfaction in being a spoiler.

See below:

never EVER anger the Gods intentionally.

EVER

I need to decide between Cleveland D at home vs the Jags OR the Cowboys at home vs the Raiders OR the Dolphins vs the Jets at home. Other than that my only decision is whether to give Colston another shot in my flex. I've got some nasty matchups at WR and I need 4 of 5, VJAX vs the Panthers, DThomas vs the Chiefs, Colston vs the Sea Hawks, Keenan Allen vs the Bengals, Victor Cruz has the Skins who got burned by Boldin, but holy chives Manning is awfull!!

Edited by Gourdeau