[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Richardson Benched

cincy slammers

This is per Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Colts are benching Trent Richardson, and Donald Brown will be the team's starting running back Sunday versus Tennessee.

"It's a bottom-line [business]," a Colts source told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. "Change needed to be made. Donald is our most productive guy." Brown was used sparingly in last Sunday's blowout loss to the Cardinals, but the Colts realize their season is on the line. In 11 games this season, Brown is averaging a robust 5.7 YPC and has vastly outplayed Richardson since Trent was acquired from the Browns. In nine games with the Colts, Richardson has posted a pitiful 2.8 YPC mark and can't seem to find any running lanes. Rapoport adds that the Colts "believe in Trent for the future," so they're not giving up on him. But the division and playoff seeding is on the line. They can't keep trotting out an unproductive running game. Brown is on the flex radar and has RB2 value the rest of the season, while Richardson is -- and has been -- nearly drop-worthy.

So much for all the yammering that the Browns were tanking when they traded TRichardson .. looks like they understood that performance out weighs pedigree ...

no kidding and the browns may've gotten the better end of the deal. never would've thought.

That's impossible; just read all the comments from the resident experts about how the Colts fleeced the stupid Browns when this trade happened and how anyone who thought different didn't have a clue etc etc. Thank God the Colts won't have that #1 pick to get much-needed help elsewhere.

Really benched or just not starting?

And still "in the their plans for the tuture", I suppose the off season and camp next year will tell the real story.

That is my concern - based on the verbage use and Browns sheer dominance in that second half a few weeks back, it almost feels like this could turn into a week to week situation. That said, Browns play today could go a long way in regards to keeping T-Rich on the pine down the stretch run.

He good!

I suppose the off season and camp next year will tell the real story.

Yep. Hopefully they'll continue to upgrade the OL too. With Ballard back and Brown suddenly acting like a legit RB, could be an interesting situation. Maybe they could rotate in and out, keep defenses off balance (and keep each other rested).

Rut roh! See the attached link.

TRich now claims he "never fully grasped" the offense. This story gets stranger as the Colts season gets worse. I suppose if you want to be optimistic the young man simply needs a full off-season to study up on intricacies of the program; on the other hand, how much more complicated can the Colts be?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7462/trent-richardson

Bottom line - TRich didn't underperform, he simply performed at the level is capable of. (see the Peter Principle). The same smokescreen is being laid down for RGIII.

Rut roh! See the attached link.

TRich now claims he "never fully grasped" the offense. This story gets stranger as the Colts season gets worse.

? How is that "strange" and how is the Colts' season "worse?" Yeah they've struggled some the last few weeks, at times really struggled, but they're sitting at 8-4 and well on top of the division.

We won't know with any real certainty how good or bad this trade was until about this time next year (maybe a little sooner).

? How is that "strange" and how is the Colts' season "worse?" Yeah they've struggled some the last few weeks, at times really struggled, but they're sitting at 8-4 and well on top of the division.

We won't know with any real certainty how good or bad this trade was until about this time next year (maybe a little sooner).

I'd say tack on another 2-3 years to see how the player the Browns draft pans out. That is where I expect we'll screw up and make the trade at best a wash.

I'm starting to think its time to give up on drafting QB high and just get 2-3 guys in rounds 4-5 and hope one developes. The Browns and many other teams in the NFL have failed miserably with first round QBs recently.

• Like 1

I'd say tack on another 2-3 years to see how the player the Browns draft pans out. That is where I expect we'll screw up and make the trade at best a wash.

I'm starting to think its time to give up on drafting QB high and just get 2-3 guys in rounds 4-5 and hope one developes. The Browns and many other teams in the NFL have failed miserably with first round QBs recently.

I agree but I think the Browns braintrust is on the right road. Taken today, the TRIch trade decision was the right one. They're were vilified at the time but they apparently had the insight and stones to make a very shrewd move. They saw TRich for what he is...average. Using that trade as a bellweather, maybe Lombardi and Haslam can return the Browns to respectability. As far as the 2-3 years from now, I think we'll look back on Holgren and Heckert as the real knuckleheads. Their drafting of Weeden and TRich set the team back.

Finally, drafting a franchise QB is so hit or miss. I agree with your strategy.

TRich wasn't any good in 2012 either IMO. When this trade went down I immediately thought the Colts got fleeced. I can't for the life of me understand in today's game why anyone drafts a RB in the first round let alone the top 5 like TRich was. The last true impact RB from the 1st round that I can think of off the top of my head is Chris Johnson (2008) who was drafted late in the 1st round. Even then, he's been rather inconsistent year to year. While Cleveland was stupid enough to waste a top 5 pick on TRich they at least had the ability to find someone even stupider to trade him for another 1st round pick. The fact that Indy did this after being able to watch him for 17 regular season games and still made this trade boggles my mind.

Edited by sausagekingchi