[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I be upset? What can I do?

BRM

I am in a 10 team ESPN custom free league. Current scenario... despite leading the league in scoring I need a team to lose to make the playoffs this week. I win easily. The team I need to lose is up 12 points and his opponent has Jimmy Graham tonight. His opponent is already in the playoffs. I think I have a chance. After Monday Night Football starts I log in. The guy BENCHED Jimmy Graham!! The fantasy game is now over. He has "empty" for TE. He loses, the other guy wins (a relative of his), I am out of the playoffs. Benching Jimmy Graham with your game on on the line to lose on purpose in freakin' free league!! Maybe i can understand a pay league, but a free league? We are playing for fun, not to stab each other in the back, and throw a game to a friend or family member. I feel sick to my stomach. Way to ruin a whole season of weekly pickups and moves and cheat the league and play to lose soooo obviously on the last Monday night of our regular season. Wow, benching a

starting player on Monday night to lose on purpose. If the owners actually had any rights he should be banned from the playoffs. In my 20+ years of playing I have never seen anything like this. So obvious and so blatant. Heck, i can't even enjoy MNF now. Way to ruin a season

and a good NFL game.

I am in a 10 team ESPN custom free league. Current scenario... despite leading the league in scoring I need a team to lose to make the playoffs this week. I win easily. The team I need to lose is up 12 points and his opponent has Jimmy Graham tonight. His opponent is already in the playoffs. I think I have a chance. After Monday Night Football starts I log in. The guy BENCHED Jimmy Graham!! The fantasy game is now over. He has "empty" for TE. He loses, the other guy wins (a relative of his), I am out of the playoffs. Benching Jimmy Graham with your game on on the line to lose on purpose in freakin' free league!! Maybe i can understand a pay league, but a free league? We are playing for fun, not to stab each other in the back, and throw a game to a friend or family member. I feel sick to my stomach. Way to ruin a whole season of weekly pickups and moves and cheat the league and play to lose soooo obviously on the last Monday night of our regular season. Wow, benching a

starting player on Monday night to lose on purpose. If the owners actually had any rights he should be banned from the playoffs. In my 20+ years of playing I have never seen anything like this. So obvious and so blatant. Heck, i can't even enjoy MNF now. Way to ruin a season

and a good NFL game.

No offense, but on earth would you understand if it were a pay league??? If someone did that in a money league, there should be physical harm at least threatened.

A free league? Still a dick move, but really who cares???

• Like 2

My first thought was collusion, but I found a l.little bit of grey. What if he would rather play the other team in the playoffs than yours? If he's trying to help a relative, it is collusion, if he is trying to help himself, it is shady gamesmanship.

My first thought was collusion, but I found a l.little bit of grey. What if he would rather play the other team in the playoffs than yours? If he's trying to help a relative, it is collusion, if he is trying to help himself, it is shady gamesmanship.

Doesnt matter to me. Garbage move either way.
  • Like 1

I understand. Its a cheap move. Heck, Jimmy may not have won the game for him anyway, but by winning he would get the 1st seed, I get 4th seed, and he was likely too scared of playing me he tanked at the last minute. I completely understand.

and a good NFL game.

If it were a money league, I would be driving to his house to kick some cheating ass.

Hopefully your commish has some balls and will make this right. He should add Graham's points back into his lineup. He should also kick this jerk out of the league for next year.

• Like 1

You are right about the pay league. Not sure what I was thinking. I guess I was thinking doing anything for a payday, but for free/ nothing?

Exactly cheating in a money league (especially if some serious $$ is on the line) could result in violence. Still a hondaty move in a free league.

Its also hondaty (IMHO) for somebody to bench a player to ensure a win (avoid negative points) in an MNF game like a thread that ran here recently. Submit your complete and best line-up every week. No players on bye, nobody you know is out, etc. No Davone Bess instead of Calvin Johnson. Play to win.

Exactly cheating in a money league (especially if some serious $$ is on the line) could result in violence. Still a hondaty move in a free league.

Its also hondaty (IMHO) for somebody to bench a player to ensure a win (avoid negative points) in an MNF game like a thread that ran here recently. Submit your complete and best line-up every week. No players on bye, nobody you know is out, etc. No Davone Bess instead of Calvin Johnson. Play to win.

So if you play in a league where defenses consistently score around -9 or so on bad days...you think it's unfair to bench your D on MNF if you already have the game won? I'd say it would be pretty stupid not to, actually...

Your team has already outperformed the other team....you deserve the W. This is a great strategy, and really just thinking outside the box. As I believe someone already said, it's not much different than a QB taking a knee because the coach doesn't want to allow a careless turnover when the game is already won. Starting players on a bye belongs in a completely different conversation, though. That's nothing other than negligence, and it pisses the whole league off that the opposing team gets an easy victory while everyone else fights tooth and nail to get closer to playoff contention.

I have only been in one free league and it was a disaster. One guy during week 9 dropped his whole team into the WW and quit. The commish said none of the payers could be drafted. Week 11 he had picked up the 4 best players. This was a work league where I had only worked there for 6mos. when the league started. During the season I had to terminate 3 of the people, 2 of which were the commissioner and his wife. She later sent out a rant basically at me which was extremely incoherent, I suspect a PUI. Never again at work, never again free.

Edited by Scorcher

So if you play in a league where defenses consistently score around -9 or so on bad days...you think it's unfair to bench your D on MNF if you already have the game won? I'd say it would be pretty stupid not to, actually...

Your team has already outperformed the other team....you deserve the W. This is a great strategy, and really just thinking outside the box. As I believe someone already said, it's not much different than a QB taking a knee because the coach doesn't want to allow a careless turnover when the game is already won. Starting players on a bye belongs in a completely different conversation, though. That's nothing other than negligence, and it pisses the whole league off that the opposing team gets an easy victory while everyone else fights tooth and nail to get closer to playoff contention.

I agree with this. Sitting your own defense if you are already up in order to secure the win is still in the competitive spirit of fantasy football. The move is designed to win the game.

Sitting players to tank games in order to manipulate playoff participants is a totally different situation and is something that should get you booted from the league.

The difference between these two moves is that one upsets the competitive balance of the league and the other does not.

• Like 1