[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team Position Rankings

BeachBum

So, does anyone use the position rankings to look at Defenses and Kickers? Does the fact that a team hasn't given up many PK points mean they won't give them up to the next guy? If a team has given up lots of Defensive FF points does that mean they will give up more to another team?

I'm in 3 playoffs (:brag:) and need to solidify Def and PK. I look at schedules of my guys and the WW available ones, and try to pick ones against teams that have given up the most points in that area. Does this really make any sense? Has anyone tracked this?

I know, Kickers and Defenses! But it could make a difference!

If you are average at both spots than it certainly can't hurt. However, you also don't want to over coach and regret making a move because you were chasing stats that never panned out.

Example: (not wdis) STL is on one team, and ranks 3rd overall in def scoring. But they play NO (2nd best in not giving up def points), and TB (6th best) in weeks 15 and 16. And one of the available teams plays teams that rank 20th and 28th in those 2 weeks.

the question is: does ranking good so far in NOT giving up def points make any difference in their next game?

I don't use them a lot myself but I think they are as accurate as any other predictor of stats by position. Defense might be a little more accurate than kicker.

If a team gives up lots of defense FF points that is mostly from turnovers, sacks and the points they score (allowed by the D). The longer the period used to make the prediction/ranking the better.

But I agree with Irish that you don't want to over think it, a good defense (or kicker) is still better than a lesser one facing a team ranked higher in giving up points at that position. Basically I'd only use it to break a tie between two similarly ranked players I'm choosing from to start.

Example: (not wdis) STL is on one team, and ranks 3rd overall in def scoring. But they play NO (2nd best in not giving up def points), and TB (6th best) in weeks 15 and 16. And one of the available teams plays teams that rank 20th and 28th in those 2 weeks.

the question is: does ranking good so far in NOT giving up def points make any difference in their next game?

Take one great week away from the STL def. and it might not look so good. I do like to look at the Stat Matcher every week but there are also other things to consider. Is there a new QB playing? Is the opposing offense likely to score points? I don't look at a defense that is playing against an established QB (Brees) as a decent matchup as an example.

Kickers. I get one from a good team that kicks a lot of field goals. I never go wrong. ;) Maybe a kicker on a team with a good defense is more likely to settle for a FG. Maybe a team that is terrible doesn't have as many opportunities.

Edited by MikesVikes