[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thursday Games - Yea or Nay?

DMD

NFL Thursday Games  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like Thursday games?

• Yes - nice in-week break for football
    • No - Rather keep it on Sunday

How many of you saying you hate it wouldn't mind it if the only Thursday game of the year was on Thanksgiving ?

Fixed.

I used to love the Thursday games. One more chance to watch football was awesome. But living on the east coast, and now that I have kids, having to stay up ridiculously late and losing quality sleep for one more night out of the week is a hassle. It is also a PITA in regards to FF, which is how I derive about 50% of my pleasure out of the sport.

Love it. As I get older I get less and less chances to actually watch football on Sundays. So the Thursday/Sunday/Monday Night games are the primary football I get to watch.

This is exactly why I like them.

Between kids' activities, running errands or doing stuff around the house, I pretty much never get to watch the early and late afternoon games on Sunday. I usually have to DVR the TNF, SNF and MNF games just to be able to see them in their entirety.

I would actually love to see 2 games on Thursday.

I think what could help is giving the teams that play TNF a bye the week before. That would probably mean going to having bye weeks throughout the entire season instead of between weeks 4 and 12.

I also agree that for fantasy purposes, TNF can suck.

I like them. I do understand they cause some grief for FF, but I don't sweat it much if my player has a bad game or my opponent has somebody go off, I know there are many more games to be played with other players who can score.

Maybe its because I'm single, and always up until about midnight anyway, so not big deal for me to stay up and watch a game. (Never thought of these games as ending ridiculously late as BA stated, but I guess that depends on when you go to bed.)

One thing I have noticed is I do get a little burned out on football during the week. 3 games on Sunday, possibly a 4th (which I DVR). Then MNF on Monday, some NFL Replay games (usually at least one new) on Tue/Wed, plus my extra game from Sunday if I had one. If I don't take a break one night by Thursday I'm not as into the games.

I agree they are not competitive, but prefer the current arrangement to one that would give them a bye the week before (byes all season, possibly 2 for each team and added complications for the schedule makers).

Hate TNF for fantasy, as they force lineup decisions way too early in the week.

Hate TNF for NFL, as it doesn't give players enough time to recoup from the previous week's games. Plus, there's WAY too many TNF games this year.

Edited by Rileyrott

Thursday night games have all but destroyed Fantasy Football for me. That's how much I hate them. Obviously there are other factors contributing to my FF burnout, but Thursday night games are one of the biggest of those factors.

Have read the article and it was good. I do get that the players have to recuperate in a shorter period. But then they also get an extra 3 days after that before the next one. I think it is more fair now because every team has to do it once. If you go back to only having 8 games a year about half the teams won't play on a Thursday and face the challenges.

They're not likely to go away, and in another 5-10 years we'll hardly remember what it was like before them (just like MNF and SNF, which also result in shorter weeks). If they could play on Saturdays all season they'd do that (but they cannot during college football).

Speaking of TNF... didn't someone advise me that NFL.com has a "watch live" link on their homepage for these games? I guess I should wait until kickoff, but I don't see it yet. I'm at work (and once I get home I'll be without NFLN due to snow/ice f'ing up my satellite dish) and would love to watch Ben Tate go for 110 yards and 2 scores. :woot:

I don't care for them. Honestly, oftentimes I'll forget there's even a game being played. Even if I do remember, I usually don't care enough to follow it online (I don't have any TV service). I'll typically check the results later in the night or the next day, but that's about the extent of it. Obviously the Titans are an exception to this, I'll watch them in full.

I'd be okay with it if they only did TNF games starting on Thanksgiving weekend through the regular season. But generally I don't care for the games. Same reasons as others have stated. What the NFL should try to do, if they insist on TNF during most of the year, I schedule it right after teams' bye weeks. It'd be a tough balancing act, but the quality of product would increase.

• Like 1

I'd be okay with it if they only did TNF games starting on Thanksgiving weekend through the regular season. But generally I don't care for the games. Same reasons as others have stated. What the NFL should try to do, if they insist on TNF during most of the year, I schedule it right after teams' bye weeks. It'd be a tough balancing act, but the quality of product would increase.

I totally agree. And honestly, would it create a real issue schedule-wise? :shrug: Not sure.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...