[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Draft 2014

BeeR

Because it's never too early to talk draft.......(beer or football)

Early thoughts? Texans and Jags (playing right now) early front-runners for, presumably, Bridgewater. Looks like a deep year QB-wise with numerous highly-regarded prospects. Lot of potential for movement early on though.

Clowney is going first. "Franchise" QB's come out every year. Clowney comes out once every 10.

A bunch of QB's I think have a shot to play in this league. Hundley will probably end up the highest rated by the end of the process if he comes out. I think we'll see one or two go early then the rest end up playing chicken to see who falls into the 2nd round. And when an unexpected team like CIN or NEP take one mid/late 1st, they panic and trade back into the first. Manziel, McCarron, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Derek Carr, and now this kid from UCF Bortles. I've seen them all play except Bortles, and they are all legit.

Sammy Watkins is going to be a beast if he gets a good situation. I'm bummed about Hopkins in Houston and hope that doesn't happen to Watkins. Please let him end up with a real QB. He'll be drafted in the territory of teams with concerns at QB like St. Louis or Oakland. His best case might be to get drafted by a team that hits 2nd round gold with Mettenberger or McCarron. Kelvin Benjamin is slightly freakish too, although I'm not sure if he's got deep speed to threaten in the NFL.

Carlos Hyde has popped, and I can't decide if he's going to beast in the NFL or not. He doesn't have the deep speed, but he's functional in the passing game (and improving) and you can't argue his results. 7.8 YPC is absurd and he's a Heisman candidate, maybe front-runner, if he plays 12 full games. Might be a first rounder, but without game-breaking speed he probably isn't, especially in today's NFL. Like most, his situation might be the most telling stat of all. Go to Carolina or SF where they commit to the run and he gets touches and he could have great results. Would love to see him with the Giants.

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly hadn't seen Bridgewater play a full game until tonight...Wow. Pinpoint accuracy, powerful arm, and the ability to extend plays. I think Bridgewater goes first (if he decides to go) and Clowney goes second, simply because Houston already has a solid DE in Watt. Getting Clowney and Watt together would create one of the most feared pass rushes in football, but the Texans have a much more glaring need at QB.

The Texans will take Clowney and have an incredible D. They will take a QB at the top of the second. Better value that way then a QB at #1 and anyone else in the 2nd round.

Clowney is going first. "Franchise" QB's come out every year. Clowney comes out once every 10.

Clowney and Watt is scary! And I do think that's the route the Texans should go. FWIW, they took Mario over Vince Young before too.

I honestly hadn't seen Bridgewater play a full game until tonight...Wow. Pinpoint accuracy, powerful arm, and the ability to extend plays. I think Bridgewater goes first (if he decides to go) and Clowney goes second, simply because Houston already has a solid DE in Watt. Getting Clowney and Watt together would create one of the most feared pass rushes in football, but the Texans have a much more glaring need at QB.

Which is why I'd address QB later in the draft and make a play for Cutler.

Which is why I'd address QB later in the draft and make a play for Cutler.

Cutler seems to have proven over and over that he's not a franchise QB. If it looks like Mccarron will be a 2nd rounder then I think they take Clowney. But if he looks to be a possible first rounder I think they err on the side of caution and go with Bridgewater.

Clowney and Watt is scary! And I do think that's the route the Texans should go. FWIW, they took Mario over Vince Young before too.

No, they took Mario over Reggie Bush. They had Schaub already and Young wasn't the prospect Bridgewater is anyway. And Mario didn't have the crap4brains issue Clowney may have. IMO people underestimate how important that is.

PS that said, I like Keenum and think him plus Clowney (if his alleged head is on straight) may be better than Bridgewater plus whatever. Or rolling the dice with whatever QB is at the top of Round 2. But QB is too important of a position to play dice with.

Edited by BeeR

No, they took Mario over Reggie Bush. They had Schaub already and Young wasn't the prospect Bridgewater is anyway. And Mario didn't have the crap4brains issue Clowney may have. IMO people underestimate how important that is.

PS that said, I like Keenum and think him plus Clowney (if his alleged head is on straight) may be better than Bridgewater plus whatever. Or rolling the dice with whatever QB is at the top of Round 2. But QB is too important of a position to play dice with.

They did NOT have Schaub, he was in Atlanta and acquired the following year.

1. Houston Texans - 2-14 (.559)

2. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) - 3-13 (.516)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - 4-12 (.504)

4. Cleveland Browns - 4-12 (.516)

5. Oakland Raiders - 4-12 (.523)

6. Atlanta Falcons - 4-12 (.553)

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 4-12 (.574)

8. Minnesota Vikings - 5-10-1 (.512)

9. Buffalo Bills - 6-10 (.520)

10. Detroit Lions - 7-9 (.457)

11. Tennessee Titans - 7-9 (.504)

12. New York Giants - 7-9 (.520)

13. St. Louis Rams - 7-9 (.551)

14. Chicago Bears - 8-8 (.465)