[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do the opposite

rush00756

Just wondering how it has worked out for teams that used this draft strategy. I know most teams start the playoffs this wk, but would you guys use this strategy again if you fall in the right draft spot, or is it more just a hit or miss strategy?

Maybe I'm just tired reading this, but I have no idea what you mean by "do the opposite" as a draft strategy.

• Like 4

Just wondering how it has worked out for teams that used this draft strategy. I know most teams start the playoffs this wk, but would you guys use this strategy again if you fall in the right draft spot, or is it more just a hit or miss strategy?

Absolutely, no question about it.

Do the opposite is usually for players who end up drafting at the back half. They focus on taking WR's, a QB and a TE usually in the first 5 rounds. Then rounds say 6-10 just pound RB's. Looking for a high upside guy. Most guys look to get a stud RB, so by doing the opposite, you get elite players at other positions.

As I look at the teams that made the playoffs in my leagues, most of them were "opposite" drafters, or only drafted one RB early and waited quite a while for their second. It truly has been a George Costanza fantasy season. (How many people will get that reference?)

As I look at the teams that made the playoffs in my leagues, most of them were "opposite" drafters, or only drafted one RB early and waited quite a while for their second. It truly has been a George Costanza fantasy season. (How many people will get that reference?)

Hi, I'm George, I'm unemployed and live with my parents...

• Like 3

For shiggles...12 team PPR

#1 Seed - #10 Pick : Marshawn Lynch + Dez Bryant

#2 Seed - #3 Pick: Jamaal Charles + Jimmy Graham

#3 Seed - #6 Pick: Lesean McCoy + Victor Cruz

#4 Seed - #8 Pick: Trent Richardson + Julio Jones

#5 Seed - #9 Pick: Calvin Johnson + Maurice Jones Drew

#6 Seed - #12 Pick: Matt Forte + Brandon Marshall

I managed to sneak in despite my poopy first two picks (TRich + Julio).

Is anybody else having trouble typing?

Edited by awahl63

"Opposite" is a pretty vague term.

My strategy is never an unwavering "Do the opposite" since I dont know what that means and never will. My typical method is looking at all positions and try to get the best value for the team you are building. It all depends on 10 or 12 team league, what position since back of the draft is for 6-7 to 10-12. In a 10 team league, Position 6 drafts differently I would think than 10.

Also, its never a straight easy answer. Pick 1,2,3 is a RB, 4 is a QB and 5 is a WR. You pick 7th, what is the "Opposite" pick?

Doing the opposite IMO means to buck whatever the FF "experts" are advising. This year, it was a heavy dose of gotta have RB's. I think many teams would have wound up better off drafting C. Johnson instead of their first RB pick, but that's hindsight as Johnson has remained healthy.

Next year I expect J.Graham to wind up as a consensus first round pick. Receivers like AJ Green and Megatron will probably go top 10. "Stud" RB's on bad teams will probably be drafted sooner than they should be, as some things never change.

FWIW I passed on RB's early in the ladder and wound up with Gore and MJD. They had (until last night) remained healthy, with MJD putting up some stinkers early on; what I expected for the most part. There is no crystal ball that can predict a perfect draft as health dictates whether or not a player will even make it to the end, but next year I expect the top 4 TE's to go one round higher.

Doing the opposite IMO means to buck whatever the FF "experts" are advising. This year, it was a heavy dose of gotta have RB's. I think many teams would have wound up better off drafting C. Johnson instead of their first RB pick, but that's hindsight as Johnson has remained healthy.

Next year I expect J.Graham to wind up as a consensus first round pick. Receivers like AJ Green and Megatron will probably go top 10. "Stud" RB's on bad teams will probably be drafted sooner than they should be, as some things never change.

FWIW I passed on RB's early in the ladder and wound up with Gore and MJD. They had (until last night) remained healthy, with MJD putting up some stinkers early on; what I expected for the most part. There is no crystal ball that can predict a perfect draft as health dictates whether or not a player will even make it to the end, but next year I expect the top 4 TE's to go one round higher.

I believe it refers to doing the opposite of what the other owners are doing (ie you have pick #8 and the first 7 picks are RBs, instead of taking the 8th best RB you do the opposite and take the best WR). At least, in Charchology/FFW that's what it refers to...

ETA: I had the 8 pick in in a modified redraft this year. First 7 picks were RBs. I took Megatron. When it came back to me, I took Dez Bryant as I liked him much better than the RBs that were available. Took Josh Gordon later so my WR are my strength. Have gotten enough points out of cobbling together the RB and QB positions to finish 12-4 and win my division.

I think the term "do the opposite" has become overused (perhaps this is cause I am in MN and listen to KFAN) and I don't really consider that what I did. I just look at it as pouncing on the value other owners pass up.

Edited by Delicious_bass

if every instinct you've ever had was wrong...then the opposite would have to be right
  • Like 2

Who are the 3rd and 4th TEs that you would prefer over other options?

Who are the 3rd and 4th TEs that you would prefer over other options?

I expect Julius and Jordan Cameron to go 3 and 4, but I think Jordan Reed will finish next year as TE3.

Edited by BA Baracus

I believe it refers to doing the opposite of what the other owners are doing (ie you have pick #8 and the first 7 picks are RBs, instead of taking the 8th best RB you do the opposite and take the best WR). At least, in Charchology/FFW that's what it refers to...

ETA: I had the 8 pick in in a modified redraft this year. First 7 picks were RBs. I took Megatron. When it came back to me, I took Dez Bryant as I liked him much better than the RBs that were available. Took Josh Gordon later so my WR are my strength. Have gotten enough points out of cobbling together the RB and QB positions to finish 12-4 and win my division.

I think the term "do the opposite" has become overused (perhaps this is cause I am in MN and listen to KFAN) and I don't really consider that what I did. I just look at it as pouncing on the value other owners pass up.

Exactly, and it's not like it's some profound philosophy in the first place. Sure, at times you may be smart in taking a better value play at a position when another one is getting towards the end of a tier with more question marks. Isn't that a pretty basic consideration? To take players that you think will give you an edge at that position?

But what that doesn't take into account is that you still need to have a plan to address the other positions later. There are also situations where you need to pounce on someone at a particular position going thin, knowing you can more easily fill the other position later. It all depends in your confidence in the players at all positions, as well as your confidence in your ability to fill the other positions adequately later.

Knowing whether you need to jump on the tail-end of a run, or whether you should lead the run with a top player at another position, there isn't really a philosophy for that.

Do your homework. Do mocks and identify enough sleepers for where you wait. Be conscious of the flow of the draft and what that means for you building the strongest TEAM with your picks later too. Don't focus only on the current pick, unless the player/value is just too good to pass up. You will do yourself no favors if your strong plays early are erased by dead ends later.

Drafting is an art, not a science... So no, "upside down drafting" isn't a philosophy, it's a possibility, depending on the flow of the draft.