[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

steelers game ender

cadycadets

It's recorded as receiving yards and is in his total of 137 yards.

4-4-PIT 26 (:03) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to E.Sanders to PIT 33 for 7 yards. Lateral to A.Brown ran ob at MIA 12 for 55 yards.

Edited by keggerz

you don't think it's stupid if a QB throws a 10 yd pass then after several laterals they get say 90 and the QB gets credit for all 90?

It's not much different from him throwing a 10 yard pass then after no laterals they get say 90 and the QB gets credit for all 90.

• Like 1

different if I throw it to you and you go 90 than if I throw it you and it gets latereled 9 times along the way

Not sure I see why. You threw it 10 yards in both cases. Some number of people then took it the other 80 - perhaps breaking tackles, perhaps using blazing speed, perhaps junking them out of their socks. What's the difference?

• Like 1

different if I throw it to you and you go 90 than if I throw it you and it gets latereled 9 times along the way

Because it starts as a passing play is why all the yards are considered receiving yards. IF there had been a fumble on one of the laterals and then it was picked up all yards from that point forward wouldn't be receiving yards, they'd be fumble return yards.

Brown wasn't the only player to have the ball lateraled to him on that play either, pretty sure Ben got 80 some yds out of it

I'd have to re-watch it but I think that the other laterals either didn't run for positive yards or were immediate laterals. Edited by keggerz

It's recorded as receiving yards and is in his total of 137 yards.

4-4-PIT 26 (:03) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to E.Sanders to PIT 33 for 7 yards. Lateral to A.Brown ran ob at MIA 12 for 55 yards.

Sort of unfair to those unfortunate few of us who were forced into starting Sanders this week - the pass to Sanders looked like it was for about 20+ yards, but I gather from what you are saying here that Sanders' receiving yards are being dinged for the subsequent negative 15 yards worth of laterals.

Not sure if there's a better way of doing it - I guess someone has to get charged for those yards. Would be really unfair if it was a 2-yard hitch which after laterals ends up being a play for negative 15 yards or something - we've all seen that happen. I wonder if in that case Sanders would be charged negative receiving yards?

Price I pay I guess for having such a weak receiving corps that I'm starting Sanders in the first place.

Because it starts as a passing play is why all the yards are considered receiving yards. IF there had been a fumble on one of the laterals and then it was picked up all yards from that point forward wouldn't be receiving yards, they'd be fumble return yards.

And the TD would be the dreaded offensive return TD, which some leagues may not be scoring (intentionally or not).

Sort of unfair to those unfortunate few of us who were forced into starting Sanders this week - the pass to Sanders looked like it was for about 20+ yards, but I gather from what you are saying here that Sanders' receiving yards are being dinged for the subsequent negative 15 yards worth of laterals.

Not sure if there's a better way of doing it - I guess someone has to get charged for those yards. Would be really unfair if it was a 2-yard hitch which after laterals ends up being a play for negative 15 yards or something - we've all seen that happen. I wonder if in that case Sanders would be charged negative receiving yards?

Price I pay I guess for having such a weak receiving corps that I'm starting Sanders in the first place.

I'm not sure where Sanders was...I'll have to look at it on the All-22 when I get a chance.

I'm not sure where Sanders was...I'll have to look at it on the All-22 when I get a chance.

Play started at the 26 yard line. Sanders caught the pass on the 38-yard line (pass looked longer because Roethlisberger took a deep drop) and then ran it up to the 45-yard line before lateraling. +19 yards before he threw the first lateral. Subsequent laterals took it essentially back to the original line of scrimmage, where Roethlisberger took it, ran up to about the 33 and then "lateraled" to Brown. Brown took it at the 33 and was ruled out of bounds at the Miami 12, which accounts for the 55 yards which are being credited to him.

Seems there could be a number of different ways to score this play. If your original quote was correct, then it seems Sanders is being credited for all net yardage from the line of scrimmage to the point where the last lateral was caught by Brown. I suppose there are arguments to give more yards to Sanders or even to give some yards to Roethlisberger, who advanced the ball 6 or 7 yards between when he received his lateral and when he tossed it over to Brown - but I'm not sure what you would do with the intervening negative yardage in that case.