[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh McCown

chiroacademy

Over 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns in 3 weeks and the Bears say they will sit him if Cutler is healthy? I'm a Bears fan and I don't know how you call pull the hot hand. Cutler has played 7 games and has 13 interceptions. McCown has played 6 games and has 1 interception. I like McCown!

Over 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns in 3 weeks and the Bears say they will sit him if Cutler is healthy? I'm a Bears fan and I don't know how you call pull the hot hand. Cutler has played 7 games and has 13 interceptions. McCown has played 6 games and has 1 interception. I like McCown!

Do you think Cutler would have worse stats over those 3 games? I don't think it is just lip service, the starter not losing job to injury or some blind loyalty. The team feels he is better, and gives them a better chance to win. MOST backups like McCown are backups for a reason, they are not start quality.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Cutler is not 100% with that ankle. He looked terrible against Det because he was so immobile. The finally took him out of the game but there was only 2 min. left. McCown took them straight to a TD and looked great. I like Cutler long term but right now I like McCown while he is hot and healthy.

I'm afraid Cutler is not 100% with that ankle. He looked terrible against Det because he was so immobile. The finally took him out of the game but there was only 2 min. left. McCown took them straight to a TD and looked great. I like Cutler long term but right now I like McCown while he is hot and healthy.

Well that is the key, if Cutler is not 100% on the ankle, he should continue to sit. Problem is the Bears are also trying to make a decision on long term QB, even with these slim hopes for a playoff spot they are looking towards next year (their D will get torched in the playoffs).

What's his contract like? He could honestly be a starter for another team if given the chance.. Jags titans etc

Positives: Free agent after this season. Looked good in relief.

Negatives: He'll be age 35 before the season begins. Limited market / not a franchise QB age. Stopgap with a short future contract.

I heard some chatter on a Cleveland radio station speculating about the bears signing McCown over Cutler. Mainly cause McCown will take less money. They were also speculating on the Browns signing Cutler in the offseason and how that would affect out draft picks etc...

I personally think that McCown is a quality QB. If the bears don't sign him another team will. I'm personally hoping the bears stick with McCown so that I can keep Cutler for next year in a low rd :)

I heard some chatter on a Cleveland radio station speculating about the bears signing McCown over Cutler. Mainly cause McCown will take less money. They were also speculating on the Browns signing Cutler in the offseason and how that would affect out draft picks etc...

I personally think that McCown is a quality QB. If the bears don't sign him another team will. I'm personally hoping the bears stick with McCown so that I can keep Cutler for next year in a low rd :)

I highly doubt the Bears go that route. I actually highly doubt anyone will sign McCown to be their starter. Some teams may sign him allowing him to compete for a starting job or to hold down the fort while that team's QB of the future sits for a year, but that doesn't happen all that often anymore. Teams are more likely to throw that rookie QB into the fire right out of the gate. Despite the numbers McCown has put up this season, his marketplace is extremely limited due to his age. Throw in the fact that his career as a whole is pretty awful and I can't see many teams fighting to sign him as a starter.

I still see the Bears trying to work a deal out with Cutler or franchising him. If the Bears don't, Cutler will have plenty of teams lining up to sign him to a long term deal. Where the Bears go from there is anybody's guess.

I highly doubt the Bears go that route. I actually highly doubt anyone will sign McCown to be their starter. Some teams may sign him allowing him to compete for a starting job or to hold down the fort while that team's QB of the future sits for a year, but that doesn't happen all that often anymore. Teams are more likely to throw that rookie QB into the fire right out of the gate. Despite the numbers McCown has put up this season, his marketplace is extremely limited due to his age. Throw in the fact that his career as a whole is pretty awful and I can't see many teams fighting to sign him as a starter.

I still see the Bears trying to work a deal out with Cutler or franchising him. If the Bears don't, Cutler will have plenty of teams lining up to sign him to a long term deal. Where the Bears go from there is anybody's guess.

Agree I see McCown as kind of a Jason Campbell type player. Will be signed as a backup or to compete for a short term stint as starter with a rookie learning. As somebody else said, after the Fynn (twice) and Kolb debacles, I doubt we'll see any backups being signed to big contracts or handed the rains as the starter.

• Like 1

Trestman run offenses do not need gunslinging QBs. He values ball security over arm strength. I love Cutler but he still reverts back to himself when things break down in front of him. I could easily see the Bears resigning McCown for a one year deal with a club option in 2015. Draft a QB...like Bortles who shows pocket presence and good judgement.

Roughly, I put McCown in the Jim Plunkett (age 36) /Rich Gannon (age 37) /Brad Johnson (age 34) category. Those were their ages when they appeared in the Super Bowl. My point is lightning has been caught in the "old man's" bottle before. I say he's a quality QB that could carry the right team to the final four.

Maybe it's the Bears or Bucs or Browns or Texans. Teams were built to win now...ok, maybe not the Browns.

Edited by wpayers

Roughly, I put McCown in the Jim Plunkett (age 36) /Rich Gannon (age 37) /Brad Johnson (age 34) category. Those were their ages when they appeared in the Super Bowl. My point is lightning has been caught in the "old man's" bottle before. I say he's a quality QB that could carry the right team to the final four.

Maybe it's the Bears or Bucs or Browns or Texans. Teams were built to win now...ok, maybe not the Browns.

Bucs? :crazy:

Browns are much closer to win now than the Bucs, we have a very good defense and some good offensive players including OL and WR/TE. I don't think McCown would do much better for CLE than Hoyer/Campbell, and he would cost more (assuming he has to be gotten in a trade).

I agree mostly w/ this but I don't see them franchising him. There is an outside chance (very outside) that Bears offer Cutler a decent contract. He counters, Bears counter back. Then Stalemate. Then let him shop. They sign McCown to a short term deal w/ big incentives and spend the cap money saved by filling some of the voids (and soon to be voids) in the 'D' and go after Best Available QB in round #1. A crap shoot even Ditka would be proud of. :wink:

Trestman run offenses do not need gunslinging QBs. He values ball security over arm strength. I love Cutler but he still reverts back to himself when things break down in front of him. I could easily see the Bears resigning McCown for a one year deal with a club option in 2015. Draft a QB...like Bortles who shows pocket presence and good judgement.

That is not true regarding Trestman. If it was Cutler would be sitting on the bench and McCown would have the starting job the remainder of the season. If Cutler is healthy enough to play he will be starting this week. Trestman loves Cutler and would prefer him to run the offense. He hates not being able to use his entire playbook/route tree.

• Like 1

I agree mostly w/ this but I don't see them franchising him. There is an outside chance (very outside) that Bears offer Cutler a decent contract. He counters, Bears counter back. Then Stalemate. Then let him shop. They sign McCown to a short term deal w/ big incentives and spend the cap money saved by filling some of the voids (and soon to be voids) in the 'D' and go after Best Available QB in round #1. A crap shoot even Ditka would be proud of. :wink:

It is certainly possible they choose not to franchise him if they are unable to work out a deal. The Bears would however, be able to franchise him and still have plenty of cap space left to fill those voids if they spend it wisely (I believe they will have more cap space than any other team). If Phil Emery thinks he has a chance to fix this team in the off season with free agents and a good draft he'll franchise Cutler because in his mind he'll give them the best chance to win in 2014. If we've learned one thing so far about Emery it is that he is a win now GM based on every move he has made thus far.