[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

an effective way to get rid of fire ants

muck

I seriously doubt it, it would cool and solidify to quickly to get the same effect as molten metal. Maybe try it with lead but that would make for a very heavy piece.

yes as soon as I posted that I realized it wouldn't work , it would also break apart when trying to separate it from the dirt , stupid Idea but how many of us can melt Aluminum , I can even pronounce it :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Having been a 'metal guy' all my life and having poured many, many pounds of Aluminum, bronze, and even silver and gold (different process) I watched that video and wonder how they did that in one shot w/ no prep of the hill. The biggest problem when pouring into a sand form (dirt would be worse) is planning the sprue holes and vents so that a dam of air can't block the molten aluminum. I saw no vents and only one sprue hole. Next would be the frail passages that the molten aluminum would have to pass thru at a distance of 18" w/ little or no collapse (noticeable by a large glob near a termination point that didn't appear in this video). Lastly keeping the Aluminum between 1150° to 1350°F during a pour of 18#'s is very tough w/o a heated crucible. You can see the Aluminum barely "skinning" during the pour. That said the guy/group that did this either did a lot of behind the scenes stuff off camera, or they were just very lucky. Just my 2¢.

it appeared that he built a cone of some material over the top of the ant hill and there were several places where the smoke was coming out in the cone. It looked like it was red clay which would be ideal for doing this and at least in Texas/Oklahoma and other places there is a ton of red clay.

Man I want to do this.

it appeared that he built a cone of some material over the top of the ant hill and there were several places where the smoke was coming out in the cone. It looked like it was red clay which would be ideal for doing this and at least in Texas/Oklahoma and other places there is a ton of red clay.

Man I want to do this.

I thought that was the just dirt. I know a lot about metal, sand casting, and aluminum, NOT fire ants! :lol:

Love to be there if/when you do it. :tup: