[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just curious... (NE and PHI)

zekez

Just curious, did anyone tell NE and PHI that these were important games that they should actually try to win???

Actually, in the grand scheme of things, this game wasn't all that important to Philly. They still control their own destiney. If they win their next two they win the division. But they have no margin for error vs Bears now.

Edited by keggerz

You'd think maybe game location had something to do with both calls...

:rolleyes:

Why, because the home teams pay for the refs like youth soccer? I keep reading these comments by people and the are trucking ridiculose

:rolleyes:

Why, because the home teams pay for the refs like youth soccer? I keep reading these comments by people and the are trucking ridiculose

You don't think the refs ever call a close one in the home team's favor? I'd like to think that but I'm not that naive.

The bottom line is that NFL teams never (or at least very rarely) lay down for anybody. They are professional athletes, paid to compete and win football games. There's not only a lot of pride on the line, but many players are also playing for their jobs, etc. Not to mention, Miami desperately needed to win yesterday, as well... Maybe moreso than New England (NE is fighting for home field, Miami is fighting for a chance at the playoffs).

Not sure what happened to Philly, and I don't buy the idea that they didn't need to win the game (beating MIN should, in theory, be easier than beating CHI, no matter where they're playing). But, again, Minnesota played to win, just like they were fighting for a playoff spot themselves.

That's what has struck me as interesting, more than anything else, over the past several weeks. Teams like ATL, TB, MIN, HOU, JAC have reminded us that they're playing to win... Not to see who gets the highest pick. They all compete each and every week (for the most part), and anything can happen on any given Sunday (hence the term). There's really not that much difference between a lot of the teams who are winning, and the teams that are losing. In many cases, it's an injury here or there, and the injuries that matter most aren't usually of the WR/RB/TE variety (so they tend to go unnoticed by casual football fans, or fantasy football fans).

Edited by Gopher

The bottom line is that NFL teams never (or at least very rarely) lay down for anybody. They are professional athletes, paid to compete and win football games. There's not only a lot of pride on the line, but many players are also playing for their jobs, etc. Not to mention, Miami desperately needed to win yesterday, as well... Maybe moreso than New England (NE is fighting for home field, Miami is fighting for a chance at the playoffs).

Not sure what happened to Philly, and I don't buy the idea that they didn't need to win the game (beating MIN should, in theory, be easier than beating CHI, no matter where they're playing). But, again, Minnesota played to win, just like they were fighting for a playoff spot themselves.

That's what has struck me as interesting, more than anything else, over the past several weeks. Teams like ATL, TB, MIN, HOU, JAC have reminded us that they're playing to win... Not to see who gets the highest pick. They all compete each and every week (for the most part), and anything can happen on any given Sunday (hence the term). There's really not that much difference between a lot of the teams who are winning, and the teams that are losing. In many cases, it's an injury here or there, and the injuries that matter most aren't usually of the WR/RB/TE variety (so they tend to go unnoticed by casual football fans, or fantasy football fans).

The Browns have been doing that as well, but have failed to hold onto a lead for several weeks now.

Agree that Philly game was big, the DAL loss takes some more pressure off. PHI could clinch the division next weekend, making the game with Dallas week 17 meaningless (except maybe for seeding).

Cincy was the big shock to me. The were making the Steelers look like a contending team, what happened to the Bengals defense?

Also good point on the injury, the loss of Joe Haden late in the Browns game opened things up some for the Bears passing game.