[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Coach of the Year

wpayers

Sean Payton - Nice guy and great coach, doing for hair gel what Pascual Perez did for Jheri Curl

Pete Carroll - can't argue with success but is all that rah-rah stuff really necessary?

Jim Harbaugh - grinding it out w/o major talent but may not even win division.

Bill Belichick - he's got Gisele's vote which is good enough for me.

Joe Philbin - somehow escaped BullyGate unscathed and has the Fins playing great

Chip Kelly - turned the Pistol into a Star Wars Lightsaber, saved the city of Brotherly Love from itself

Marc Trestman - love the offense and could make Cutler irrelevant enough to play for the Browns

John Fox - Realize he didn't plan it but he took a midseason powder. He's also got the MVP so it's not a fair fight.

Your thoughts?

:thinking: One could make a pretty solid argument that every one of the above teams/coaches have underachieved this year, with the exception of maybe Belichick.

The Saints have been mediocre/poor on the road, and the fact that they're still fighting (with Carolina) for the division could be viewed as a disappointment, although I think it should be credited more to Carolina, than it should be held against New Orleans.

Seattle (according to some homers, anyway) has the six best DB's in the league, the best QB, best RB, and best defense overall. In theory, anybody should be able to win home field with that group, not to mention the best fans/HFA in the NFL. ;)

SF had higher hopes this year, than just a wild card spot. Not saying they're bad, or that they're not a team to be reckoned with for the post-season, but I'm pretty sure they expected to be in contention for the division (and barring a miracle, they're not). On the other hand, the Crabtree injury depleted what was already a pretty weak WR group, so their record might be about what was expected. Still, not COY material.

No way Philbin gets much consideration, if for no other reason than because of Bullygate (it might help is cause in the eyes of some, but it will hurt his cause in the eyes of many more, IMO).

Philly/Kelly is tough because the predictions for the Eagles success this year were all over the board. All in all, though, the fact that they're in the playoff hunt means that they exceeded expectations (at least in my opinion). Still, some will say that they're a disappointment, a fraud, or a team that will quickly be eliminated in the playoffs (if they make it). Kelly will get some votes, no doubt, but I'd be surprised if he's in the top 3 choices.

Some expected more out of the Bears than what they've done. On the other hand, some might say that they've actually overachieved. They lost Cutler for several weeks, but given that McCown played better, I'm unsure of how much that supports the argument that they've exceeded expectations. All in all, I think the Bears are about where we thought they would be.

As dominant as Denver has looked at times, their defense has been, in large part, atrocious. In terms of record, I think they're about where most people thought they would be.

+ 1

+2

If KC gets to 12 wins, I think Reid runs away with the award. KC wasn't as bad (last year) as a 2-14 team, and they might not be quite as good as their record indicates this year. But, a turnaround of those proportions can't be ignored, and given that they've done so with mostly the same group of players, a lot of credit has to go to Reid and the rest of the staff.

Can't be Carroll..he's got MVP's littering his roster. anyone could coach that team

:unsure:

Like I said above, he's got a lot of talent (although some of what I said might have been slightly in jest). I still think he's one of the better coaches in the league, but he also might be hurt (in terms of the voting) by the number of suspensions the team as had. Not sure if that's something that would have an affect on his COY chances or not, but it's certainly something his critics are quick to point to.

What? No Bruce Arians? He sure proved that last year was not an emotional fluke.

I think he should be in the top 3, for sure.

FYI, the award is voted on and decided PRIOR to the playoffs.

I think it's Reid but there are a handful of deserving candidates (Rivera, Arians, Trestman & Kelly to name some).

Schedule or not the Chiefs won just 2 games last year. When a coach gets to 10+ wins after a 2 win season he's a frontrunner for the award.

On top of that...

Reid had a horrid year last year (it shouldn't matter but I'm sure it's in the back of voters minds)

He's doing it with a castoff QB. Say what you will but that is what Smith is/was.

Oh and did I mention the Chiefs had just 2 frickin wins last year.

If I had to give the award to someone other than Reid I'd probably give it to Bruce Arians. And after he upsets Seattle, in Seattle, this weekend, I'm sure others will start talking more about him. But upset or not, he's done a fantastic job with the Cardinals.

My top three would be Reid, followed closely by Arians and Rivera (in either order).

Edited by Gopher

You and me both (if I didn't spend time here, I'd get 10x more work done... LOL).

Well here is something else to keep you from doing your job :lol:

This is from a letter sent to Kevin Huber

I hope you feel better soon. I am mad at the Steelers because you are my #1 player. I am 7 years old and love the Bengals and Bearcats. I know you played for the Bearcats and Bengals and I love the teams. I hope that Steeler player loses his house and has to live in his car.

That made me LMAO

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/young-fan-hopes-guy-who-decked-kevin-huber-loses-his-house-121813

Since Peyton Manning is as much the offensive coordinator as Adam Gase(who?), perhaps he should get Coach of the Year as well as MVP. The Denver players are more afraid of letting Manning down and earning the PGoD - Peyton Glare of Disapproval - than they are of Fox

+1

100% has to be Reid. 2 wins to 12 or 13 and a playoff birth says it's all his.

Ron Rivera 2nd

Philbin 3rd

I can't argue with that, although I'd give Arians the nod (slightly) over Philbin. Both have quietly put themselves in playoff contention (although Philbin was obviously getting a lot of attention, for mainly the wrong reasons, a couple of months ago).

:o

:brow:

Should hear more talk about Arians as a candidate for Coach of the Year after this week's performance. Rivera helps his case too, and Andy didn't do his any favors. However, I still think that Andy is the winner.

Edited by keggerz

If the Cardinals won next week, to finish 11-5, yet still miss the playoffs, would Coach of the Year ever be given to a non-playoff team?

If somehow the Broncos lose next week and the Pats win to get HFA, does that sway any votes in Tom Brady's favor despite Manning's mighty 51(or more)? With what Brady has has to work with this year...

If the Cardinals won next week, to finish 11-5, yet still miss the playoffs, would Coach of the Year ever be given to a non-playoff team?

If somehow the Broncos lose next week and the Pats win to get HFA, does that sway any votes in Tom Brady's favor despite Manning's mighty 51(or more)? With what Brady has has to work with this year...

good question

I don't see how anyone but Peyton wins it

Not sure about the COY question...as for MVP, you can engrave Mannings name on it now. He's had a HISTORIC season and he'll win the MVP.

But if they somehow choke and lose HFA, the argument can be made that Brady was more valuable. Manning wins Offensive Player of the Year hands down. I wasn't aware that MVP and Offensive Player of the Year were the same, but most everyone here seems to thinks they are. /stir :innocent:

Hadn't even though about it....but I guess Chip Kelly would win coach of the year in the NFC East.....Garrett, Shanny and Coughlin....what a horrible year!

Kelley could be the only incumbent HC in the NFC East next year.

But if they somehow choke and lose HFA, the argument can be made that Brady was more valuable. Manning wins Offensive Player of the Year hands down. I wasn't aware that MVP and Offensive Player of the Year were the same, but most everyone here seems to thinks they are. /stir :innocent:

You nominating Sherman?

Kelley could be the only incumbent HC in the NFC East next year.

So who are the early favorites to be replacing those three? Will one of the big names actually talk Jerry into relinquishing GM duties as terms of his hiring? (Cowboy fans can only hope.) The offseason is going to be interesting.

KC was supposed to be good last year, had tons of talent....insert 4th place schedule and a good qb to go along with it and is it really a surprise they have done well??? Jerry Jones could have coached this team to the playoffs, I can't give credit to Reid unless he leads them through the playoffs!!!

4th place schedule is only 2 games which are different from every other team in their division, not like decades ago where the last place team had 4-6 or more games against the lowest finishing teams in other divisions.

I'd say Reid is in the running, but agree with you that KC was supposed to be good last year, this is not a total rebuild from horrible to good in 1 year. I'd probably go with Rivera, i doubt many expected the Panthers to be this good, potentially the second seed, after a poor start.

Forgot about Arians, definitely in the running.

Hard to believe that Mike McCoy doesn't get a mention.

The Chargers had a much worse roster, despite the records, that the Chiefs last year. No O-line, no Defense, no hope of playoffs for years. Tell me honestly, which roster would you have wanted going into this season, Chiefs or Chargers?

ETA: The Chiefs had SIX players sent to the ProBowl last year, the Chargers had ZERO!

Fast forward this year. Alexander, Floyd, Freeny, Ingraham all on IR before camp is over, Teo (for most of camp and first quarter) and injuries again decimating the o-line forcing Fluker (rootkie RT) to left side for a few games, and a defense that was still bad.

With a Phillip Rivers and Eric Weddle leading a band of no names and rookies (except Gates who has been double teamed ALL year), this team has peaked at the right time, beat the Donks and Jefes in their houses any has not lost but one game by more than a single score. (Two of those games GREATLY effected by bad calls admitted by league officials. Texans and Titans).

They have a team dominating TOP, leading the league in third down conversion, playing surprisingly solid defense and playing as good football as just about any team right now. Wit a win (and some doable help), this train wreck of nobodies is in the playoffs and 9-7. I had them at 3-5 wins this year and I'm a homer! Rivers is doing what he's doing with Royal, Brown and Allen (offensive ROY)? Are you kidding me?

It took a season of putting it together and there was growing pains and a few stumbles, but i think there is more than one seeded team hoping to play someone else OTHER than the Chargers starting next week.

1a. Mike McCoy

1b. Ron Rivera

1c. Bruce Arians

All worthy for consideration for the turn arounds for their teams and how well they are playing now.

Edited by McBoog

Andy Reid will win because the media loves fat, jolly guys in red this time of year but IMO he's still the same same schtick but its working on a new team. Still cant beat a good team....

For my money its Rivera or Arians, maybe Chip Kelly

Hard to believe that Mike McCoy doesn't get a mention.

The Chargers had a much worse roster, despite the records, that the Chiefs last year. No O-line, no Defense, no hope of playoffs for years. Tell me honestly, which roster would you have wanted going into this season, Chiefs or Chargers?

ETA: The Chiefs had SIX players sent to the ProBowl last year, the Chargers had ZERO!

Fast forward this year. Alexander, Floyd, Freeny, Ingraham all on IR before camp is over, Teo (for most of camp and first quarter) and injuries again decimating the o-line forcing Fluker (rootkie RT) to left side for a few games, and a defense that was still bad.

With a Phillip Rivers and Eric Weddle leading a band of no names and rookies (except Gates who has been double teamed ALL year), this team has peaked at the right time, beat the Donks and Jefes in their houses any has not lost but one game by more than a single score. (Two of those games GREATLY effected by bad calls admitted by league officials. Texans and Titans).

They have a team dominating TOP, leading the league in third down conversion, playing surprisingly solid defense and playing as good football as just about any team right now. Wit a win (and some doable help), this train wreck of nobodies is in the playoffs and 9-7. I had them at 3-5 wins this year and I'm a homer! Rivers is doing what he's doing with Royal, Brown and Allen (offensive ROY)? Are you kidding me?

It took a season of putting it together and there was growing pains and a few stumbles, but i think there is more than one seeded team hoping to play someone else OTHER than the Chargers starting next week.

1a. Mike McCoy

1b. Ron Rivera

1c. Bruce Arians

All worthy for consideration for the turn arounds for their teams and how well they are playing now.

Good call on McCoy, he has done a bang up job in SD.

Andy Reid will win because the media loves fat, jolly guys in red this time of year but IMO he's still the same same schtick but its working on a new team. Still cant beat a good team....

For my money its Rivera or Arians, maybe Chip Kelly

You mean the Kool-Aid man?

http://deadspin.com/this-gif-of-andy-reid-as-the-kool-aid-man-will-make-you-1449400240

Edited by BA Baracus

It funny seeing all of these Ron Rivera mentions when this time last year everyone was expecting him to get the axe :unsure:

What a difference a year makes I guess ?

Come on it wasn't just the media saying he should be axed it was many here at the Huddle too

******************************************************************************************************************

But at 2-8, the Panthers need to stop playing like they are scared of losing. This type of playing is exactly what’ll inevitably cost Rivera and his coaching staff their jobs at the end of the season.

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

It funny seeing all of these Ron Rivera mentions when this time last year everyone was expecting him to get the axe :unsure:

What a difference a year makes I guess ?

Come on it wasn't just the media saying he should be axed it was many here at the Huddle too

******************************************************************************************************************

But at 2-8, the Panthers need to stop playing like they are scared of losing. This type of playing is exactly what’ll inevitably cost Rivera and his coaching staff their jobs at the end of the season.

NFL fans and media types are a fickle bunch who think that changing coaches will solve everything. At some point you need to hire somebod and stick with them for 3-5 years and give them time to succeed.

• Like 1