[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning... 51 TDs

ajh2

This should help the garbage time debate:

I [scott Kacsmar] got these interesting passing TD splits from Zach Pierpoint:
https://twitter.com/...188042660327424

Average scoring margin at the time of the touchdown pass:

Manning '04: 2.45

Brady '07: 7.32

Manning '13: 1.75

Percentage of TD passes with a two score (9+) lead:

Manning '04: 20% (10/49)

Brady '07: 36% (18/50)

Manning '13: 25% (15/51)

Percentage of TD passes with a three score (17+) lead:

Manning '04: 10% (5/49)

Brady '07: 20% (10/50)

Manning '13: 8% (4/51)

Edited by keggerz

To some degree, that could also simply mean that NE had more blowouts in 2007. Denver has played in some close games this year (that weren't necessarily expected to be close). If those games were decided by a few more points, would Peyton have thrown the ball much less than he did? I don't know the answer to that question, and I'm certainly not a Brady apologist by any means. Just something to consider.

Another way of putting it would be this... Peyton hasn't had as many chances to throw a TD with a 3-score lead, as one might have expected he would have. If he had, his number would most certainly be higher than 4.

But, I do agree... The Pats weren't exactly letting up on opponents in '07. until seemingly the last minute.

I guess my point is this. If you blow everybody out (and keep your foot on the gas for all 60 minutes), you lack class (in some people's eyes). So, does that mean that, if you play close games, you have more class? Or, does it simply mean that your defense isn't very good?

• Like 1

I'd have to look more closely at Manning's campaign this year, but in '04 he had every opportunity to throw WAY more TD's. But he sat out the end of most games, sometimes entire quarters. He could have easily thrown 60 that year.

Yeah, that's probably true (about '04), and you would remember better than I would. I was moreso referring to this year. I've watched quite a bit of the Broncos, and they haven't exactly had a bunch of easy wins. And, some of the games that ended up (at least appeared to be) lopsided, were actually pretty close for a large portion of the game (Jacksonville, Washington, and Houston, in particular).

Again, I'm not defending Brady or the Pats (can't stand him/them), as much as I'm saying that Peyton's number of TD's thrown with a large lead (this year) would be higher, if the Broncos had only managed to blow out the teams that they should have blown out (on paper, anyway).

From what I recall about 2004, the Colts season was very similar to the Patriots in 2007... Lots of easy wins, and they both coasted to the playoffs (and, if I remember correctly, home field throughout). This year's Broncos team isn't quite of that mold (nothing was really decided, in terms of the playoffs, until this week, and home field is still up for grabs).

Edited by Gopher

I guess my complaint is that Brady and the Patriots were clearly gunning for that record, and threw TD's late in games with big leads to get there.

It's all good, in the end, the football gods kept them from winning the SB in a magical fashion.

• Like 1

I guess my complaint is that Brady and the Patriots were clearly gunning for that record, and threw TD's late in games with big leads to get there.

It's all good, in the end, the football gods kept them from winning the SB in a magical fashion.

:)

Good stats info comparing those years. What it tells me (especially the average margin when TD was scored. over 7 for Pats, under 2 for Broncos. Well that means that the Pats opponents were scoring a lot less or lot later in the game. The numbers for TD pass with 2TD lead were not that far apart, 25 vs. 36, its the scores with 3 TD lead that are much higher.

Pats ran up the score more than the Broncos. I just hope that the Broncos are not chasing the record and focus on winning but looking towards preparing for the playoffs.

I hope Peyton plays next week and puts that sucker out of reach for the next 20 years* like he should have done in 2004. In 2004 Manning sat out entire quarters instead of padding his stats late in games like Brady did in 2007. Put it out of reach P! Don't sit out for two weeks again. It'll cost you.

*or until the NFL makes it illegal to touch or even stare at quarterbacks, wide receivers, or tight ends.

:clap:

Passing totals are up 10% over last year. Receivers can't be touched or hit except in a very small area. No one is afraid to go over the middle anymore. QBs can't be touched. 5000 yards is the new 4000 yards. Hell, Eli threw for 4900 two years ago. I predict Peyton's new single season passing yards record will last maybe a little longer than the two years it lasted for Brees. (Oh, and his 4 TDs in a 31-0 first half wasn't stat padding either.) His 55 single season TDs will last for awhile, however, but he had better throw another 4 in the second half just to be sure. :wink:

Edited by Tripleshot

Passing totals are up 10% over last year. Receivers can't be touched or hit except in a very small area. No one is afraid to go over the middle anymore. QBs can't be touched. 5000 yards is the new 4000 yards. Hell, Eli threw for 4900 two years ago. I predict Peyton's new single season passing yards record will last maybe a little longer than the two years it lasted for Brees. (Oh, and his 4 TDs in a 31-0 first half wasn't stat padding either.) His 55 single season TDs will last for awhile, however, but he had better throw another 4 in the second half just to be sure. :wink:

Yep. Neither this nor Brees' passing yds were nearly as impressive as Marino's 5000. The 55 TDs is more so, but I was still more impressed by Marino's 48.