[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaching changes

BeeR

Tell that to Baltimore when they won the SB with Trent Dilfer

They also had a DOMINANT DEF with 2- 1st ballot HOF and a couple other possible HOF Candidates with another 3-4 all Pros... we KNOW that the Def won that SB not Dilfer. He just did not screw it up. In MN we don't have that Def or that "good" a QB as Dilfer... WOW... did I just type "as good a QB as Dilfer"?

They also had a DOMINANT DEF with 2- 1st ballot HOF and a couple other possible HOF Candidates with another 3-4 all Pros... we KNOW that the Def won that SB not Dilfer. He just did not screw it up. In MN we don't have that Def or that "good" a QB as Dilfer... WOW... did I just type "as good a QB as Dilfer"?

I was shaking my head in agreement until I read the last part :lol:

Josh McDaniels said no thanks. Good idea. To be fired from 2 head coaching jobs before yer 40 would've been a career killer

News came out later yesterday that he said no because he asked the Browns if he was their first choice and they told him no. (Local talk is that DEN OC Gase is the front runner.)

I think that kind of attitude could also be a career killer. Who is going to want to interview somebody who is upset they are not the top candidate. Talk about a big ego (for a guy that has done nothing). I guess he thinks BB steps down in a few years and he is handed the Pats job. Of course Brady will be gone then as well, and they'll go back to the mediocre/bad team they were before that time.

Just read that Whisenhunt is interviewing with the Browns on Saturday, as well as DET (today) and TEN (Friday).

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-to-interview-chargers-offensive-coordinator-ken-whisenhunt-on-saturday-espn-reports-1.458138?comments=n

Does that seem strange to anybody else. A coordinator of a team in the playoffs have 3 HC interviews the 3 days before their game?

I didn't even think that was allowed. I know that coaches in the playoffs cannot be offereed/sign contracts for a new job. But I also thought they don't generally do interviews the week of their game. (Wild Card weekend coaches with the teams on a bye may do some interviews.) The teams need to grant permission for the coaches to be interviewed, strange that SD would do that. Makes one wonder how much of a roll Whiz plays with the offense. (These interviews can last 4-8 hours, so how much time does he have for his job that day?)

Edited by stevegrab

Just read that Whisenhunt is interviewing with the Browns on Saturday, as well as DET (today) and TEN (Friday).

http://www.ohio.com/...8138?comments=n

Does that seem strange to anybody else. A coordinator of a team in the playoffs have 3 HC interviews the 3 days before their game?

I didn't even think that was allowed. I know that coaches in the playoffs cannot be offereed/sign contracts for a new job. But I also thought they don't generally do interviews the week of their game. (Wild Card weekend coaches with the teams on a bye may do some interviews.) The teams need to grant permission for the coaches to be interviewed, strange that SD would do that. Makes one wonder how much of a roll Whiz plays with the offense. (These interviews can last 4-8 hours, so how much time does he have for his job that day?)

The interview process is allowed. I believe it goes something like this:

If your team plays and wins during wild card weekend you are allowed to interview an assistant the week leading up to the divisional games for a head coaching job as long as that interview takes place in that assistant's current teams town and the time is set by your current team. You can only interview with them one time during that week. After that you'll need to wait until after the Conference Championship games to interview them again. They can't hire you until your team has either been eliminated from the playoffs or after the Super Bowl.

Edited by sausagekingchi
  • Like 1

I don't know/care if it's allowed, but if I"m the SD HC or mgt, I'm mighty PO'd. Focus on the fn playoffs - when we're done w/that, then get into all this.

San Diego as a team had to give permission and they also get to determine where and when the interview takes place so that it does not conflict with his current job. Teams allow this because if you don't you lose out on landing other desirable assistant coaches in the future. If you are going to create obstacles not allowing a guy to reach his dream of becoming a head coach in the NFL why would he ever want to work for you. Bottom line is the assistant has to use his own personal time for the interview and the current team determines when that personal time is. No harm is done.

I dunno. You can't deny guys the opportunity to advance. This sounds pretty reasonable - it has to be at home, it has to be when the team allows it, it has to be only once per week. They can't expect he not take 4 hours to himself at some point, he's just choosing to spend those 4 hours in an interview instead of banging his wife - she's probably the one that should be pissed.

I see that Jay Gruden has gone to the Redskins, I didn't realize that he was the head coach for Baylor last year!

LaVar Arrington finds it to be a pretty "meh" hiring. He mentioned it "fits" with what the Redskins "currently are", meaning (reading between the lines here) that they will likely be no better nor no worse.

He was more shocked that the regime seems content with the defensive scheme and coaching staff (either keeping Haslett or promoting Moore).

I suppose the WCA suits RG3 so at least he'll be happy. And Gruden's enough of a mouthpiece to satisfy the owner. So in those respects, great hire, DC!

San Diego as a team had to give permission and they also get to determine where and when the interview takes place so that it does not conflict with his current job. Teams allow this because if you don't you lose out on landing other desirable assistant coaches in the future. If you are going to create obstacles not allowing a guy to reach his dream of becoming a head coach in the NFL why would he ever want to work for you. Bottom line is the assistant has to use his own personal time for the interview and the current team determines when that personal time is. No harm is done.

Good info, I didn't realize they could do that. Seems like the first time I can recall a coach on a team with a game that week having that many interviews close to their game.

When you say the current team controls the time he can meet, I presume that includes the length of the meeting. I'd expect most of these are in the evening, but that would preclude something like McDaniels who it was reported met for 7 hours with the group from Cleveland.

I dunno. You can't deny guys the opportunity to advance. This sounds pretty reasonable - it has to be at home, it has to be when the team allows it, it has to be only once per week. They can't expect he not take 4 hours to himself at some point, he's just choosing to spend those 4 hours in an interview instead of banging his wife - she's probably happy the one that should be pissed.

Fixed