[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaching changes

BeeR

Good info, I didn't realize they could do that. Seems like the first time I can recall a coach on a team with a game that week having that many interviews close to their game.

When you say the current team controls the time he can meet, I presume that includes the length of the meeting. I'd expect most of these are in the evening, but that would preclude something like McDaniels who it was reported met for 7 hours with the group from Cleveland.

You do realize that Mike McCoy did the same exact thing last year right?

:weird::weird::weird::weird:

I hope they are ready for some really, really, really stupid timeouts at the end of games that help the opposition.

I am amazed that the Lions were somehow able to figure out a way to take a step backwards from the Schwartz reign...I mean, damn, that takes a weird and valueless sort of talent.

• Like 1

:weird::weird::weird::weird:

I hope they are ready for some really, really, really stupid timeouts at the end of games that help the opposition.

I am amazed that the Lions were somehow able to figure out a way to take a step backwards from the Schwartz reign...I mean, damn, that takes a weird and valueless sort of talent.

+1 x 2.

What could the rationale possibly be to hire Caldwell, based his prior body of work? It's only my opinion, but I can't see how this works out well.

If I was a Lions fan I would be apoplectic. First Whisenhunt and now Caldwell - maybe these teams really have no ability to evaluate coaching talent?

Edited by stethant

+1 x 2.

What could the rationale possibly be to hire Caldwell, based his prior body of work? It's only my opinion, but I can't see how this works out well.

If I was a Lions fan I would be apoplectic. First Whisenhunt and now Caldwell - maybe these teams really have no ability to evaluate coaching talent?

Who should they hire? Just curious what better candidates you would recommend. Lots of "that guy sucks" and "that is a horrible hire" but few offer a better suggestion.

Somewhere else online a guy was bitching about Jay Gruden, and he couldn't see how the guy even got an interview for HC. Saying he was barely a passabel OC. From what I heard several teams wanted him, or at least to interview him. Are they all wrong?

Lions hire Jim Caldwell...

:thinking:

LMAO

That sounds like something the Lions would do. He's dumber than a head of lettuce.

As for who's better..........anyone not named Switzer. You. Me. Your neighbor down the street. Hell I'd consider Lane Kiffin over him. He's Forrest Gump level stupid.

• Like 1

before we all gaff at Jim, let us take a look at what he brings to the table shall we:

Caldwell was a four-year starter at defensive back at the University of Iowa from 1973-1976.

Caldwell served as an assistant coach at the University of Iowa, Southern Illinois University, Northwestern University, University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Louisville, and Pennsylvania State University before being named head coach at Wake Forest University in 1993. He was the first African-American head football coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).

In eight years, Caldwell had a record of 26–63. He installed a powerful passing attack that set numerous school records, many of which have since been broken under his successor, Jim Grobe. However, his teams rarely ran well; in one year the Demon Deacons' leading rusher only notched 300 yards for the entire season. He only had one winning season, in 1999, when the Deacons won the Aloha Bowl.

Caldwell, if I'm not mistaken, had his FIRST lombardi trophy in XLI

hold on//////

Caldwell had one of the best debut seasons for a head coach in NFL history, finishing with a 14–2 record. The Colts rushed out to a 14–0 start. With the AFC South title and the top seed in the AFC playoffs secured, Caldwell opted (on orders from then GM, Bill Polian) to sit out his starting players the last two games of the season (both losses), drawing controversy to him and the team.[3] He later won his first playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens on January 16, 2010. On January 24, 2010, Caldwell became the 5th rookie head coach to lead his team to the Super Bowl with a 30–17 victory over the New York Jets. Caldwell holds the NFL record for the best start by a rookie head coach, starting his career with 14 wins. The 14 wins also tied a franchise record.

and then there is this little known fact:

Thirteen days after his dismissal from the Colts, Caldwell was named quarterbacks coach by the Baltimore Ravens on January 30, 2012.[4] On December 10, 2012 the Ravens dismissed Cam Cameron and named Caldwell the offensive coordinator.[5] On the day following the defeat of the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game, head coach John Harbaugh announced on January 22, 2013 that Caldwell would be the team's permanent offensive coordinator going into the 2013 season.[6] On February 3rd, 2013, Jim Caldwell helped lead the Baltimore offense to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII at the New Orleans Superdome.

• Like 1

Anyone else stop there?

No because there was lots of good info there. We are not so biased against Caldwell as you are.

If somebody tries to give him credit for that 14-2 record in his first year some will say "that was all Manning" but then dismiss that as a valid reason for the 2-14 season when Manning was lost and Painter was the starer.

On another forum I said (somewhat sarcastically) that Lombardi, Belichik and Walsh together could not have done better with the 2011 Manningless Colts. One person responded that BB would have, since he went 11-5 without Brady the one year. I fired back "Sure, because they had the same rosters and played the same teams. Not to mention Brady's replacement (Cassell) was much better, as evidenced by him landing a job as a starting QB after that, though it did not really pan out. And what has Painter done since then? Plus NE had a much better defense than IND."

I watched Caldwell. The team slowly degraded around him. He made unwise coaching decisions. Defend him all you want, but the 14-2 record was residual off of what Tony Dungy built and aided by Peyton Manning.

He is the coordinator type. He is not a head coach.

You know, as I've thought about it more, maybe the Lions are thinking that Caldwell can get Stafford straightened out. He did work wonders for Flacco, who IMO, is considerably inferior to Stafford in terms of talent.

Stafford's mistakes and general underperformance are the biggest contributors to DET's perpetual mediocrity. If they can fix that then maybe the can become a playoff team.

You know, as I've thought about it more, maybe the Lions are thinking that Caldwell can get Stafford straightened out. He did work wonders for Flacco, who IMO, is considerably inferior to Stafford in terms of talent.

Stafford's mistakes and general underperformance are the biggest contributors to DET's perpetual mediocrity. If they can fix that then maybe the can become a playoff team.

That's the only part that makes any sense (that Caldwell has indicated that he wants to work one-on-one with Stafford, and maybe that's exactly what the Detroit front office was looking for?). Everything else screams red flag, in one way or another. His coaching record alone is enough to make me really question this hire. Throw out the W/L's with Manning, and that record is downright atrocious. Going back to Taz's post, here is what we know....

- He ran a high-powered passing offense in college (but they had virtually no running game). Not exactly something that screams of potential success for an NFL head coach. In other words, it sounds more like a blueprint for what doesn't work at the pro level, not the other way around. Not to mention, his successor has broken nearly all of his records, so it's not like this guy is some passing genius.

- Other than the year(s) in which he inherited Dungy's Colts (and still had Manning at the helm), he's never won anything, in terms of having a successful season. Not just at the NFL level, but the college level as well. In 8 seasons under Caldwell, Wake Forest had ONE winning season, in which they won the Aloha Bowl. Like Taz mentioned, his record there was 26-63. Yikes.

- No offense, and I don't know him personally, but he seems to have the personality of an eggplant. I'm not saying players don't like playing for him (I have no idea what the consensus is in that regard), but he doesn't come across as the type of guy who speaks/stands up for anybody or anything (hence my comparison to Frazier earlier). I think they're both the epitome of coaches who might be good/great coordinators, but terrible head coaches, frankly, if for no other reason than their respective game management skills have been questionable at best (in terms of play-calling, usage of timeouts in key situations, etc.). I realize that they're not the same person, but everything I've heard from Colts fans (about Caldwell) reminds me a lot of what we've seen of Frazier in MIN.

I think people are concentrating too much on the chicken vs egg argument, in terms of Caldwell's time spent in Indy. Was his success a result of what he was left with, or did he play a key part in making those teams successful? Nobody knows, for sure. What I do know is that his overall record/resume as a head coach stinks, and I have a hard time seeing that bode well for Detroit. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, or that he doesn't work hard. Everything I've heard of him, in that regard, is positive (that he's watched tape of every snap Stafford took last year, wants to work with him as much as he can, etc.). Again, he seems like a perfect example of a good/great coordinator who struggles as a HC. Just my opinion.

-

• Like 1

- Other than the year(s) in which he inherited Dungy's Colts (and still had Manning at the helm), he's never won anything, in terms of having a successful season. Not just at the NFL level, but the college level as well. In 8 seasons under Caldwell, Wake Forest had ONE winning season, in which they won the Aloha Bowl. Like Taz mentioned, his record there was 26-63. Yikes.

- No offense, and I don't know him personally, but he seems to have the personality of an eggplant. I'm not saying players don't like playing for him (I have no idea what the consensus is in that regard), but he doesn't come across as the type of guy who speaks/stands up for anybody or anything (hence my comparison to Frazier earlier). I think they're both the epitome of coaches who might be good/great coordinators, but terrible head coaches, frankly, if for no other reason than their respective game management skills have been questionable at best (in terms of play-calling, usage of timeouts in key situations, etc.). I realize that they're not the same person, but everything I've heard from Colts fans (about Caldwell) reminds me a lot of what we've seen of Frazier in MIN.

I think people are concentrating too much on the chicken vs egg argument, in terms of Caldwell's time spent in Indy. Was his success a result of what he was left with, or did he play a key part in making those teams successful? Nobody knows, for sure. What I do know is that his overall record/resume as a head coach stinks, and I have a hard time seeing that bode well for Detroit. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, or that he doesn't work hard. Everything I've heard of him, in that regard, is positive (that he's watched tape of every snap Stafford took last year, wants to work with him as much as he can, etc.). Again, he seems like a perfect example of a good/great coordinator who struggles as a HC. Just my opinion.

-

Good stuff. I have my doubts as well. Doesn't seem like a good fit. Who they bring in to run the defense may determine whether this stint will be successful.