[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black Monday is coming

tazinib1

the defense, while ranked better than last year's, was actually worse in key categories. Ray Horton couldn't somehow use the magic wand he did in AZ with our, arguably, better talent on that side of the ball.

No Running game

No QB

No one other than Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron.

It's not all Chud's fault but they went with a high risk, high reward hire and it bit them in the ass. They scurried when Chip Kelly turned them down.

I don't get how one bad year with jack squat at the so-called skill positions merits a fire, or why Chud was high risk/high reward, or how anyone "knows" it bit them in the ass after one year-?

They are saying that it's the coach's job to elevate the play of the players, and that he didn't do that well. This is what will happen in Oakland too. Yes, the talent level is bad, but your job as coach is to squeeze some amount of performance out of them, not just roll over and die in week 7.

1 breaking point for Browns: I'm told a couple weeks back, Chud was told to cut a player (re: accountability) to send a message. He refused.

Two players in particular that the front office didn't feel were held accountable: QB Brandon Weeden and WR Greg Little.

1 breaking point for Browns: I'm told a couple weeks back, Chud was told to cut a player (re: accountability) to send a message. He refused.

Two players in particular that the front office didn't feel were held accountable: QB Brandon Weeden and WR Greg Little.

i didn't know Chud was in charge of player personnel decisions. Something stinks and that sounds more like an excuse than anything else.
  • Like 1

i didn't know Chud was in charge of player personnel decisions. Something stinks and that sounds more like an excuse than anything else.

Agree if they are personnel decisions then why didn't the front office just make the decision and cut those players, overrule the coach. Little was not great but has improved. Bess was a free agent acquisition of the front office and was far worse than Little, he should have been cut midway through the season (Cooper has gotten more playing time and showed some promise).

Yep and imagine all the great top coaching candidates who will want to take over this train wreck. I'm afraid rumors are probably true, they have already have their guy in waiting (Hoodie Jr.) and he'll be happy to do whatever they ask as payment for getting another chance at HC.

Seems the Browns will NOT be firing all their assistant coaches at this time. The new HC will get to decide if they want to keep them. Kind of sucks for them, because if that next HC is McDaniels, that may not happen for a few weeks. And by then other new HC will build their staffs leaving them out. Well maybe not so bad, as the Browns say they will be liberal in allowing them to interview for other jobs.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-to-retain-assistant-coaches-for-now-new-head-coach-to-decide-if-he-wants-them-1.456012

Agree if they are personnel decisions then why didn't the front office just make the decision and cut those players, overrule the coach.

You'd have a mutiny on your hands. It's one thing to make salary cap or free-agent decisions that the coach maybe didn't agree with, but once they players hit the field you HAVE to let the coach call the shots. Look at Oakland and Dallas for examples of what happens when you don't - there's no respect for the coach, no accountability to him. All you can do is suggest/tell the coach to cut the guy and he then decides whether or not to comply and accept the consequences of his decision.

You'd have a mutiny on your hands. It's one thing to make salary cap or free-agent decisions that the coach maybe didn't agree with, but once they players hit the field you HAVE to let the coach call the shots. Look at Oakland and Dallas for examples of what happens when you don't - there's no respect for the coach, no accountability to him. All you can do is suggest/tell the coach to cut the guy and he then decides whether or not to comply and accept the consequences of his decision.

I get that, but what more was he to do with Weeden? He benched him, and only played him when he had no other choices due to injury. As for Little, it could be argued that Bess was much more the dumpster fire...and as for mutiny, if the coach says no to the moves then cut bait then and send the message to the entire organization. It's not like coaches don't get fired mid-season. And if that happened at least Norv had HC experience to handle things on an interim basis. I just think that something smells and we aren't getting the entire story...another thing, if Chud was being insubordinate (that's what it is if he doesn't cut a player management says to cut) then why not fire him for cause and try to not pay him in excess of 10 million dollars?
  • Like 1