[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ray Rice can't be that bad again in 2014, can he?

Papa Deuce

I'm guessing that in most leagues he was a 2nd round pick in 2013. I'm thinking he might fall to the lower part of the 4th round in 2014. But I am not so sure that he will be as bad in 2014 because:

A: He will be further removed from his injury

B: Ravens might address the O-Line in the offseason.

What do you think?

He's only 26 and will turn 27 in Jan, but has toted the rock nearly 1,800 times. An improved OL will help but I think he's still stinging from the playoff loss to the Bengals where he was left on the sidelines for most of the game. If he somehow gets traded, he'd be great value for a RB needy team (2014 - $4M, 2015/16 - $3M). As far as FF goes, I'd take him if he fell to me in the 4th.

He's only 26 and will turn 27 in Jan, but has toted the rock nearly 1,800 times. An improved OL will help but I think he's still stinging from the playoff loss to the Bengals where he was left on the sidelines for most of the game. If he somehow gets traded, he'd be great value for a RB needy team (2014 - $4M, 2015/16 - $3M). As far as FF goes, I'd take him if he fell to me in the 4th.

He'd be a $14.25M cap hit if traded - $5.5 MORE than his 2014 cap is scheduled to be. No way he's being traded.

He'll be a 4/5 candidate for me, no earlier. He's young, but Taz hit it - he's racking up a lot of miles on those wheels.

He'd be a $14.25M cap hit if traded - $5.5 MORE than his 2014 cap is scheduled to be. No way he's being traded.

He'll be a 4/5 candidate for me, no earlier. He's young, but Taz hit it - he's racking up a lot of miles on those wheels.

No, from a cap standpoint, you save $10,000,000 from 2014-2016 by cutting him. You would have paid the $14,250,000 either way. It's not much of a savings compared to the fixed cost, but it is what it is. People need to forget about the acceleration. With the cap roll over, it's about cash spent, not immediate cap hits. If you worry too much about managing the cap for one year, you'll hurt opportunities in the future. Raven officials should be more worried about Haloti's cap number for next year as apposed to Rice. I'm not saying he should or would be traded, just that trading him is not the big issue most people think it is and while he is still relatively young, albeit with some major tread on the tires, his trade value is worth more for the Ravens than the potential cost of keeping him IMO.

Edited by tazinib1

No, from a cap standpoint, you save $10,000,000 from 2014-2016 by cutting him.

No they don't. His 2014 cap number is only scheduled to be $8.75M ($4M base, $3m signing bonus prorate, $1.75M 2013 bonus prorate). If they trade him they have to take a hit against the remaining un-amortized bonuses. That's $14.25M.

It's true they would drop the future liability of $10M salary, but that's not even all that much money - to your point of "he'd be a good bargain" - why would they give the good value to someone else and eat the huge cap hit to do it? That's like you putting $100k down on a $150k house and then selling it to someone else to take over the existing mortgage.

You would have paid the $14,250,000 either way. It's not much of a savings compared to the fixed cost, but it is what it is.

I don't even know what this means. The $14.250 has already been paid (it actually $22M) but they haven't taken the cap hit on all of it.

People need to forget about the acceleration.

Dude, the acceleration is the entire issue. You can't hand a huge signing bonus to a guy, have him play a year or two, and not take the cap hit for the remaining money.

With the cap roll over, it's about cash spent, not immediate cap hits. If you worry too much about managing the cap for one year, you'll hurt opportunities in the future.

You have this like 100% backwards. They don't care about next year's cap, they care about the current season. There are ways to solve cap problems later if they pop up, but until they do they aren't going to try to solve them.

There's no way they take a $14M hit and not have the player. No way.

• Like 1

I predict he will outperform his draft position. They say he lost his lateral quickness this season. Methinks the hip was bothering him a lot more than we knew. And his o-line was awful. I feel that TRich will also outperform his draft position, after the Colts send him to Sylvan Learning Centers in the offseason to learn their playbook.

Edited by Tripleshot

I predict he will outperform his draft position. They say he lost his lateral quickness this season. Methinks the hip was bothering him a lot more than we knew. And his o-line was awful. I feel that TRich will also outperform his draft position, after the Colts send him to Syvan Learning Centers in the offseason to learn their playbook.

The Rice situation smells like Forte a few years back when he was on a bum knee all year.

I predict he will outperform his draft position. They say he lost his lateral quickness this season. Methinks the hip was bothering him a lot more than we knew. And his o-line was awful. I feel that TRich will also outperform his draft position, after the Colts send him to Sylvan Learning Centers in the offseason to learn their playbook.

I was wayyyy down on Rice this year and endured plenty of cyber-barbs being thrown my way on a couple of boards. Turns out I was kinda right. :shrug:

That said, I agree with the above. I think he'll regress (or I suppose "progress"?) to the mean here and bounce back a little bit. I'm not saying dude is gonna be an RB1 again, but he'll probably inch into an RB2 range, meaning he could be a huge value in PPR formats if you manage to get him late enough.

I'm not saying dude is gonna be an RB1 again, but he'll probably inch into an RB2 range, meaning he could be a huge value in PPR formats if you manage to get him late enough.

he was rb 22 in my pprs this yr which is already a rb2..not a great one

I drafted him in the 1st at pick 9 I believe this yr..I'd love to have that back :lol:

he was rb 22 in my pprs this yr which is already a rb2..not a great one

I drafted him in the 1st at pick 9 I believe this yr..I'd love to have that back :lol:

I should have been more clear... heck, I was thinking it as I typed but it didn't make it to my fingers. I meant that he COULD creep into SOLID RB2 territory (say top-20 or 15)... not just barely make a RB2 grade.