[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears sign Cutler to 7 year extension

tazinib1

Many of the vet posters here know more than you give them credit for. These are not your average NFL fans or fantasy geeks.

For example keggerz really knows his stuff and can break down film and schemes, have seen him do this before in some of the discussions.

I agree with your basic point, that coaches (and other team staff) really are more qualified to make these decisions than the average fan. I get that many Bears fans think Cutler cannot win them a SB, or that they overpaid, or even that McCown was just as good. Apparently the expert being paid piles of money to make the decisions does not.

Its like on another forum, some guy is questioning how is it that 4 teams are interviewing Jay Gruden for a HC job, because he thinks Gruden is bad and not even a capable OC. Well I'd say the words of 4 other teams tell a different tale than his opinion.

I'm curious, do you work in the business, break down tape for a team or something. Not questioning your information, just seems that they way you explain it that you have first hand working knowledge of how teams evaluate players using game tape.

I come from a football family. I played football myself for 13 years up through college. It paid for my education because no one was offering up money solely for what was between my ears. I knew my playing days were pretty much over long before college ended so I had no aspirations of playing in the NFL (seeing that I was at the bottom of the depth chart in college gave me the hint I was looking for). So I spent a lot of time during the 4 years of college studying game film and breaking it down along with coaches and helping teammates break things down. I knew I wasn't going to be able to play it so I figured the next best thing was to coach it. So during that time I was trying to prepare myself for going into a coaching career as my major was something I could turn into working for a school while coaching football. Long story short I ended up getting an opportunity in another profession I could not pass up and left my football life in the past. That being said I have two other members of my family who coach football at a high level (they respect my opinion and ideas on the game enough to ask my advice from time to time on players they are scouting and have even had me work with some kids on technique) and was friends with more than a few guys who actually played in the NFL. Those guys are now all retired and out of the game, but their insight into how NFL teams operate was interesting to say the least.

I do apologize to anyone if I come off like a know it all when it comes to talking football. I'm pretty new to this site/forum, so I'm pleading ignorant! I realize there may be people here with a far more extensive/impressive football background than myself and could probably teach me a thing or two.

Edited by sausagekingchi
  • Like 1

fair enough on the 1st part, although Wilson Kap and maybe Cam are still going to get better IMO.

When has Cutler excelled at the bolded?

I think he excelled at the bolded line without question during most of his Bears career. Have you seen how poorly their record was without him? I think they were 6-2 one year with Cutler to start the season, he got injured and they missed the playoff's and ended up 8-8.

Cutler has 20 Game Winning Drives and 16 4th quarter comebacks: http://www.pro-footb...player=CutlJa00 both rank in the top 10 among active QBs. FWIW, Drew Brees has played in 5 more seasons and has 34 GWDs. Extrapolated out Cutler would have 32.5 to Brees 34. 4th quarter comeback wise, Brees has 23 and extrapolated out Cutler would be at 26. Also, let me point out that I extrapolated out based on seasons played, not games played/season.

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 3

First off you say stats shouldnt mean as much as winning but cutler hasn't carried a team since Vandy. Second you list guys who do put together game winning drives in the same category as cutler while implying that cutler is a winner and they arent. Third, since we can't say cutler wins games we can look at his stats and see they suck.

2013 jay cutler ~ Mike Glennon

2012 Jay Cutler ~ Christian Ponder

2011 Jay Cutler ~ Matt Moore/Kevin Kolb

2010 Jay Cutler ~ (<) Kyle Orton

Do you see a pattern of mediocrity starting to form?

He's carried the Bears the last few years. Just look at their record with him as a starter versus without.

Cutler has 20 Game Winning Drives and 16 4th quarter comebacks: http://www.pro-footb...player=CutlJa00 both rank in the top 10 among active QBs. FWIW, Drew Brees has played in 5 more seasons and has 34 GWDs. Extrapolated out Cutler would have 32.5 to Brees 34. 4th quarter comeback wise, Brees has 23 and extrapolated out Cutler would be at 26. Also, let me point out that I extrapolated out based on seasons played, not games played/season.

who's got the most the last 3 seasons? :pop:

If you claim to know so much about football and really believe this nonsense, well then I honestly don't know what to say.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

off the top of my head and in no particular order..

Luck

Cam

Rivers

Romo

Ben

Ryan

Wilson

Kap

:oops:

Kaepernick isnt bettr than him, that's statistically provable and they're about a wash comparing their last two full season. If you extraploate Cutler to a full season in 2013 it's him by a pretty decent margin. Same goes for Wilson. The others on the list are primarily equals tho I'd give an edge to Ryan, Luck and ben perhaps.

So, you're up to 7, with a bunch of QBs in the same wheel house. He is NOT in the bottom half of QBing in the league when its claimed there are 12-15 better than him. That is demonstrably asinine.

Edited by Pope Flick
  • Like 1

It's all good...enjoy having him QB your team

no one is really fighting here...lol...to quote..."enjoy having him QB your team" ...We all have our problems...right HATC? I've got Rivers who EVERYONE hates and you have ROMO who EVERYONE hates and Flick has Cutler....

If you extraploate Cutler to a full season in 2013 it's him by a pretty decent margin.

You can't do that, a bears fan even says so:

You can't simply extrapolate his numbers like that to say he would do this or that if he threw this many times because there are way too many variables to consider. This isn't math or science where that scenario could be controlled, it is football.

Hey I'm curious , maybe Big John or one of you's that knows or has a few minutes to search

Does this make Cutler the highest paid QB that played in 2013 for the next two years ?

Rodgers Flacco, Manning, Brees.

Romo is at 18M/yr

Hey I'm curious , maybe Big John or one of you's that knows or has a few minutes to search

Does this make Cutler the highest paid QB that played in 2013 for the next two years ?

Slightly, yes, but that's misleading.

Recall he got no signing bonus, where all the others did. Had he gotten $30 mil like the others, he's probably upwards of $10M less each season. Brees' first two years of his deal were at $3M and $9.75M, Ryan $2M and $9.5, and Flacco $1M, $6M, and $4M.

$38,000,000 Jay Cutler at Quarterback

$34,000,000 Peyton Manning at Quarterback

$32,150,000 Eli Manning at Quarterback

$30,500,000 Tony Romo at Quarterback

$29,550,000 Philip Rivers at Quarterback

$29,500,000 Drew Brees at Quarterback

$27,000,000 Sam Bradford at Quarterback

$23,700,000 Ben Roethlisberger at Quarterback

$22,500,000 Matt Schaub at Quarterback

$21,500,000 Mark Sanchez at Quarterback

$21,000,000 Matt Ryan at Quarterback

$18,000,000 Carson Palmer at Quarterback

$10,000,000 Joe Flacco at Quarterback

$6,100,000 Chase Daniel at Quarterback

$5,804,545 Andrew Luck at Quarterback

$5,579,795 Robert Griffin III at Quarterback

Edited by flemingd

Slightly, yes, but that's misleading.

Recall he got no signing bonus, where all the others did. Had he gotten $30 mil like the others, he's probably upwards of $10M less each season. Brees' first two years of his deal were at $3M and $9.75M, Ryan $2M and $9.5, and Flacco $1M, $6M, and $4M.

$38,000,000 Jay Cutler at Quarterback

$34,000,000 Peyton Manning at Quarterback

$32,150,000 Eli Manning at Quarterback

$30,500,000 Tony Romo at Quarterback

$29,550,000 Philip Rivers at Quarterback

$29,500,000 Drew Brees at Quarterback

$27,000,000 Sam Bradford at Quarterback

$23,700,000 Ben Roethlisberger at Quarterback

$22,500,000 Matt Schaub at Quarterback

$21,500,000 Mark Sanchez at Quarterback

$21,000,000 Matt Ryan at Quarterback

$18,000,000 Carson Palmer at Quarterback

$10,000,000 Joe Flacco at Quarterback

$6,100,000 Chase Daniel at Quarterback

$5,804,545 Andrew Luck at Quarterback

$5,579,795 Robert Griffin III at Quarterback

No Rodgers? Does he not have a contract for 2014 or 2015?

Also are you saying BJ is wrong? :out: