[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears sign Cutler to 7 year extension

tazinib1

Also are you saying BJ is wrong? :out:

That's why I said it's misleading. Depending on what you do with the signing bonus lots of different results can be put out. Ryan got a $28M signing bonus with salaries of $2M, $9.5M, $11.5M, $15.75M, $15.75M, and $19.25M. Spreading $28M evenly over the 6 years adds $6.5M per year. Spreading it out over the first three years, however brings their total up to $51M ($17M per year), with the last three being worth $50.75M.

It's all how you play with the numbers.

edit:He's also due a $12M option bonus next year, so that should probably be included in my first post, putting him at $33M.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

$27,000,000 Sam Bradford at Quarterback

$22,500,000 Matt Schaub at Quarterback

$21,500,000 Mark Sanchez at Quarterback

$18,000,000 Carson Palmer at Quarterback

$6,100,000 Chase Daniel at Quarterback

ooof, ugly numbers....

Cutler has 20 Game Winning Drives and 16 4th quarter comebacks: http://www.pro-footb...player=CutlJa00 both rank in the top 10 among active QBs. FWIW, Drew Brees has played in 5 more seasons and has 34 GWDs. Extrapolated out Cutler would have 32.5 to Brees 34. 4th quarter comeback wise, Brees has 23 and extrapolated out Cutler would be at 26. Also, let me point out that I extrapolated out based on seasons played, not games played/season.

He's carried the Bears the last few years. Just look at their record with him as a starter versus without.

Looks like I was proven fairly wrong.

Yeah, 'cuz "extrapolation" makes perfect sense in every... single... situation. :rolleyes:

It allows for a comparison to be made that is easier to see how the numbers correlate. That's all.

I guess I could have taken a bunch more time to break down how many GWDs and 4th quarter comebacks each had on a per game basis and then use those numbers for comparisons sake but extrapolating was and is a much easier method to compare the numbers.

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

It allows for a comparison to be made that is easier to see how the numbers correlate. That's all.

I guess I could have taken a bunch more time to break down how many GWDs and 4th quarter comebacks each had on a per game basis and then use those numbers for comparisons sake but extrapolating was and is a much easier method to compare the numbers.

It also doesn't take into account how things can and do change over the course of a season.

It also doesn't take into account how things can and do change over the course of a season.

You're right, and I'm not saying that it has anything to do with future production or the like...It was simply a way to look at 20 (apples) to 34 (oranges) in an apple to apples way. If you don't like looking at it that way, that's fine. But don't act like there isn't any value in using extrapolation to help with a comparison because there is.

It's not the intent of extrapolation to be predictive of granular results. It's to create an apples-to-apples comparison. Two data sets aren't ever going to match, but in order to be able to compare them, having a similar sample size is one of the best starting points.

• Like 2

It's not the intent of extrapolation to be predictive of granular results. It's to create an apples-to-apples comparison. Two data sets aren't ever going to match, but in order to be able to compare them, having a similar sample size is one of the best starting points.

I understand that. But there are many instances here where it's used inappropriately and quite frankly gets a little ridiculous.

I mean, whomper farted 3 times in the past hour. Extrapolated out, that means he's going to fart 26,298 more times this year. Of course, that's not taking into account sleep, adjustments in his diet, "SBD" vs. audible, ones he can safely blame on the dog/wife/kids etc.

In this case, I suppose it's an apt tool to try comparing apples to apples.

When I projected Cutler over 16 games I was surprised to find out he only averaged 238/game. A quick scan of McCown's starts shows the best D he faced was Bal, and had GB, Was, Dal & Min in his spate of starts which was probably the softest part of the Bears schedule vs passing Ds. That's why it isn't apples to apples but I would guess Cutler's average would have gone up facing those boxes of tissues.

I understand that. But there are many instances here where it's used inappropriately and quite frankly gets a little ridiculous.

Yeah but if you take the times it's not used inappropriately and extrapolate it across the entire forums...

Smokin' Jay has enough $$$$ for a lot of "smokes" for the next 6 years...Good for him. Chiberia should be in the Superbowl next year or it's all moot. Marshall and Forte PLUS Smokin' Jay should be enough right??? After all you have Hester too ....oh and Gould. This is a thread to dig up next year as he IS back in the qb seat for at least the first 5 games or so. Address the D and you should have it all right? Oh wait there's the o'line too ..well it'll work out.

Smokin' Jay has enough $$$$ for a lot of "smokes" for the next 6 years...Good for him. Chiberia should be in the Superbowl next year or it's all moot. Marshall and Forte PLUS Smokin' Jay should be enough right??? After all you have Hester too ....oh and Gould. This is a thread to dig up next year as he IS back in the qb seat for at least the first 5 games or so. Address the D and you should have it all right? Oh wait there's the o'line too ..well it'll work out.

Don't forget A.Jeffery and Bennett

• Like 1

I come from the football school as well. Some people who haven't played the game and :mouth: think this is a bad move. It's the going rate for a good QB and he's a good QB. The contract is relatively low risk and won't kill them down the road. He's maturing in many facets of his life, including his quarterbacking skills. He can make every single throw and he's with a coach that really wants him. If Bears fans don't like the signing, I'd suggest they just like to complain.

Funny how opinions are...

• Like 5

I come from the football school as well. Some people who haven't played the game and :mouth: think this is a bad move. It's the going rate for a good QB and he's a good QB. The contract is relatively low risk and won't kill them down the road. He's maturing in many facets of his life, including his quarterbacking skills. He can make every single throw and he's with a coach that really wants him. If Bears fans don't like the signing, I'd suggest they just like to complain.

Funny how opinions are...

Well as long as the contract won't kill them.....If this is the bar we've set then no wonder there's parity. lol

I get what your'e saying. Don't agree but understand. This will be a great read next year I'd think.

• Like 1

Yeah, 'cuz "extrapolation" makes perfect sense in every... single... situation. :rolleyes:

I made my post under the assumption that Cutler rarely put on comeback wins, and even without the extrapolation I was proven wrong. I stand by my statistical analysis that he is completely mediocre relative to all season long. Perhaps they wouldn't be down for him to have to comeback if he didn't suck the rest of the game. This is why I said fairly wrong because he has some clutch in him. Hes still meh and vastly overpaid for what he brings since looking season to season you could get his production off the free agent market.

I mean, whomper farted 3 times in the past hour. Extrapolated out, that means he's going to fart 26,298 more times this year. Of course, that's not taking into account sleep, adjustments in his diet, "SBD" vs. audible, ones he can safely blame on the dog/wife/kids etc.

:clap:

Tim Tebow had 6 game-winning drives in one season - so extrapolated out, that means he would have 72 of such drives in 12 seasons compared to Brees' 34 over the same span. Hmm.... :thinking:

I have been. No real issues with him, he's tough as nails IMO and while he makes mistakes you're in no position to be very snarky about him with Romo on your squad.

Cutlers never had a season passer rating over 90

Romos never had a season passer rating under 90

Cutlers had one 4000 yd season

Romo has had 4

Romos never had a completion % under 60

Cutlers had 2 in the last 3 yrs

Cutlers had 75 picks in the last 5 seasons

Romos had 55

Cutlers thrown for over 25 td's in a season once

Romos done it 6 times

Romo has had 4

Romos had 55

Romos done it 6 times

Yikes :lol:

ETA: Although you know, it's obviously the fault of his WRs and the people around him :oops:

Edited by bud29

Romo has had 4

Romos had 55

Romos done it 6 times

4 full years since you've been above .500.

4 straight years of 500 or better with an NFC Championship game appearance.

I'll take the latter all the way.

4 full years since you've been above .500.

4 straight years of 500 or better with an NFC Championship game appearance.

I'll take the latter all the way.

Who wouldn't? Which it is why it is a completely pointless post.