[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears sign Cutler to 7 year extension

tazinib1

Right. And I've never broken down game film. Ever.

Done with you and this topic. You obviously have serious reading comprehension issues and I don't feel like breakin' out the crayons to explain myself.

:tup:

You keep promising to be done with me, but you keep coming back. I obviously rub you the wrong way, and to be honest I kinda like that I do now. I hope to be a thorn in your side for years to come. :pokey:

Edited by sausagekingchi

this thread has legs.

Cutler is..

Positives: Tough. Good arm. Good coach/offense. Now has more than enough weapons.

Negatives: Jerk face. Bad decisions/forcing. Jerk face. Injury prone. Jerk face. At his peak now. Did I say jerk face?

He is more than capable to get the Bears to a title if he stays healthy. But the D needs a lot of improvement(age) to solidify the run. The O can score 24+ every game, can the D next year hold to 20 or less???? Off season will tell.

• Like 1

I for one agree with suasagekingchi. I asked a question and he answered it. He wasn't trying to thump his chest.

What makes Darin such an expert?

He's got his views driven by his Bears homerism mostly. He thinks Cutler sucks and the contract was stupid. George Halas himself could probably tell him otherwise and he'd argue with him.

This "long time vets respected Huddlers" stuff is wearing thin, when most of them have disappeared. If you want these forums to completely fall apart keep trashing every new member that comes along.

This guys isn't another Baby Jane, he has some knowledge and experience.

Actually, I never said Cutler sucked nor did I say the contract was stupid. Please reference where I said each of these things. Before you make claims like this, I highly recommend making sure you know what you're talking about.

In a nutshell, I claimed that I preferred McCown over Cutler for two main reasons: one, because Trestman's offense doesn't need a gunslinging risk taker and two, because Cutler was likely to command too much money. These were things I said early on in this discussion, prior to Cutler's deal.

Now, if you were to have done your homework, you would have found that after the Cutler deal was inked, I noted that I could certainly live with the deal. In no terms did I ever say the deal was "stupid". Fail.

So... before you have diarrhea of the mouth again, I suggest you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Edited by darin3

this thread has legs.

Cutler is..

Positives: Tough. Good arm. Good coach/offense. Now has more than enough weapons.

Negatives: Jerk face. Bad decisions/forcing. Jerk face. Injury prone. Jerk face. At his peak now. Did I say jerk face?

Oh come on dude, use a little imagination. Here's a quote from an article I loved a few years back when he wrecked his knee during the NFC Championship game (most non Cowboys fans know what that is) and got flack from everyone for not grabbing a set of pom poms to cheer his team on moments after wrecking his knee for a few months:

If you slapped a top hat and ascot on him, he might be the very picture of aristocratic indulgence. In a modern context, he looks exactly like the worst possible visage of a quarterback drafted out of Vanderbilt, and maybe that is the problem: Jay Cutler looks the part, even if he's not playing the part. He kind of looks like a sullen trustafarian who doesn't understand why securities fraud is wrong, and not so much like the prototypical NFL golden boy quarterback.

He certainly looks the part of a classic dick...

Full article here. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/1/24/1952992/jay-cutler-injury-nfl-soap-opera

For the reading comprehension challenged, I first said:

Um, I wouldn't generalize. I am not in the Cutler camp. I would have been OK with signing him to a long-term deal if the price was right. This does not sound like a very financially sound move considering the fact the defense needs so much help.

Oh well, Brandon Marshall owners rejoice.

... before the actual terms of the deal were disclosed. We were only privy to the length/amount at this point.

I then said:

I suppose I could live with that contract as a Cutler-naysayer. I hope he gets the job done and quits throwing to Marshall in triple coverage.

And McCown is "only" 34 while Cutler is 30. But which one has more mileage? :thinking:

This'll be the last time I say it since at this point it doesn't really matter given this signing. I think McCown is the better QB for the Bears in Trestman's offense and I would have rather the Bears save that 50 mil and go after every single big-name defensive UFA.

I guess I'll have to settle for them dumping Peppers and going after a few bigger name defensive guys.

:kicksrock:

.... after the actual particulars of the deal were disclosed.

Case closed.

• Like 1

Actually, I never said Cutler sucked nor did I say the contract was stupid. Please reference where I said each of these things. Before you make claims like this, I highly recommend making sure you know what you're talking about.

In a nutshell, I claimed that I preferred McCown over Cutler for two main reasons: one, because Trestman's offense doesn't need a gunslinging risk taker and two, because Cutler was likely to command too much money. These were things I said early on in this discussion, prior to Cutler's deal.

Now, if you were to have done your homework, you would have found that after the Cutler deal was inked, I noted that I could certainly live with the deal. In no terms did I ever say the deal was "stupid". Fail.

So... before you have diarrhea of the mouth again, I suggest you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Point taken, my bad. Hard to keep track since so many of your posts in this thread were against Cutler.

Good summation with that last post. Trestman and the team felt they needed him and he was worth it, or else they would just roll with McCown. I think that speaks volumes.

Edited by stevegrab

Or else he'll ridicule you on this message board and nothing is more terrifying than that!

Oh come on dude, use a little imagination. Here's a quote from an article I loved a few years back when he wrecked his knee during the NFC Championship game (most non Cowboys fans know what that is) and got flack from everyone for not grabbing a set of pom poms to cheer his team on moments after wrecking his knee for a few months:

Full article here. http://www.sbnation....-nfl-soap-opera

tongue in cheek bro. He was the right decision. Not the best situation but the best thing to do. Just doin' a little :fishy:

tongue in cheek bro. He was the right decision. Not the best situation but the best thing to do. Just doin' a little :fishy:

There's no doubt he has a massive media handicap, that he could give two chits about. Kind of endearing IMO, compared to a spotlight whore that is rg3 for one...

Point taken, my bad. Hard to keep track since so many of your posts in this thread were against Cutler.

Good summation with that last post. Trestman and the team felt they needed him and he was worth it, or else they would just roll with McCown. I think that speaks volumes.

I like Trestman, the direction of the offense, and certainly trust his judgment. I just read a TON of what his offensive principles were once he was named the Bears' coach and my initial thought was "damn, Cutler may not be a great fit for his offense, but we'll see what happens". I don't think I posted it here (another board, perhaps), but I likened it to having a Ferrari when all you really needed was a Honda.

And again, I don't think Cutler is a bad QB. His combine coming out of Vandy was sick. He is very talented. But there are things that I don't like, too. Those things are just amplified by the fact that the Trestman offense simply doesn't need some of the things he brings to the table. That's all.

If he's gonna get blamed for when they lose, then yes, he should get credit for when they win.

My point is that HBTC is more correct in using stats to compare Tony to Jay than W/L.

While stats are not the end all be all comparison tool, W/L has a lot more variables that are beyond the contol of the QB, and is thus less valid.

• Like 2

Or else he'll ridicule you on this message board and nothing is more terrifying than that!

Out of line IMO. The issue had been resolved, so not sure why you're still trying to bust balls (in an exchange you were never a part of in the first place!).

But the D needs a lot of improvement(age) to solidify the run. The O can score 24+ every game, can the D next year hold to 20 or less???? Off season will tell.

I agree. Once concern I would have, by the time the D gets up to par, how much will Cutler have left in the tank? I would think that their contender seasons would be limited at that point - but only time will tell.

Edited by bud29

Out of line IMO. The issue had been resolved, so not sure why you're still trying to bust balls (in an exchange you were never a part of in the first place!).

I agree. Once concern I would have, by the time the D gets up to par, how much will Cutler have left in the tank? I would think that their contender seasons would be limited at that point - but only time will tell.

Was just trying to kid around and bring some levity. There is no reason for anyone to get upset about anything that is discussed on a fantasy football forum.

They have 2 maybe 3 years. Forte will be done. Marshall close. It's a win now league. The D has 1 year to rebuild or ????

Was just trying to kid around and bring some levity. There is no reason for anyone to get upset about anything that is discussed on a fantasy football forum.

You forgot to hit the sarcasm button. And try not to use big words like levity around these parts. Vocabulary like that can cause mass hysteria.

Edited by tazinib1

There is no reason for anyone to get upset about anything that is discussed on a fantasy football forum.

I would have to agree.

You forgot to hit the sarcasm button.

I merely said I felt it to be unnecessary. I don't think anyone missed that he was being sarcastic :thinking:

"Trestman's Offense"....yes, the one that he used a decade ago.

If the guy is anything, he's going to be ahead of the curve and making changes. Cutler can make every throw any offense would need, and with the weapons he finally has, I doubt you'll recognize "Trestman's Offense" in 2 years compared to what it's known today.

I just don't see how anyone would say that McCown is a better option than Cutler - especially a 34 year old guy that caught lightning in a bottle against one of the weakest parts of the Bears schedule (as it turned out).

I saw Cutler work with a very average OL this year and get the ball out of his hands a lot quicker than the year before. He gets another year in the system - he'll only get better.

The "Jerkface" comments...the dude is maturing. If you didn't see a change this year, you weren't paying attention. He's a father. How many of you have changed once you've become a father? Whether or not you know it, it changes you. FACT. The team appreciates his level approach to the game. I do as well.

Contract is long term friendly and the going rate for his position and credentials.

Should have been lower cost due to his injury history - but his best is yet to come.

• Like 2