[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ken Whisenhunt

Shorttynaz

They're talking about this on SportsCenter right now. Said he interviewed with the Lions yesterday. Brian Billick just chimed in and said the exact same thing. Said a team like the Patriots / Bill Belichick would never let this happen.

Edited by Shorttynaz

This has been talked about in another thread, but just remember, Mike McCoy did the exact same thing last year. It would be highly hypocritical on his part if he did not allow Whiz to interview. We see it every year though....to punish these coaches by not letting them interview while your team is in the playoffs is detrimental IMO. Those jobs will most likely be gone by the time said teams are knocked out. Not sure of a good work around for this. It is what it is.

This has been talked about in another thread, but just remember, Mike McCoy did the exact same thing last year. It would be highly hypocritical on his part if he did not allow Whiz to interview. We see it every year though....to punish these coaches by not letting them interview while your team is in the playoffs is detrimental IMO. Those jobs will most likely be gone by the time said teams are knocked out. Not sure of a good work around for this. It is what it is.

Its called incentive bonus to coaches for playoff games won ,

Now keep your focus on the game in front of you !

You have a contract with a team in the playoffs , act like it is the last game you will ever coach !

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

What happens to Whisenhunt within the organization if they lose this game due to poor play calling, and/or Whisenhunt doesn't get any of the 3 jobs.. How can he come back and say that he is 100% all in to help move this team further in 2014?

I feel that a coach needs to be just as, if not more focused that the players. When you're mind is pre-occupied on interviews you've had 3 consecutive days leading to this game, you've already lost focus. Doesn't make much sense to me..

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

I didn't know that McCoy was wearing Raheem More's jersey on the field last year.

Or that the Broncos lost because of problems on offense (35-38 is hardly on the O).

I also wonder who in the organization usually has ultimate say on whether an assistant is allowed to interview. Taz makes it sound like it is the HC (McCoy in SD) making that decision. He may have input, but ultilmately coaches are employees of the team, so somebody in management is going to make that choice.

Bal @ Den Jan 12, 2013 AFC Divisional Playoff Game:

Per: The Denver Post (Jeff Legwold 01-13-13)

The Broncos offense faced six situations of third-and-2 or less when they tried to run the ball. They had one third-and-2 and five third-and-1s.They converted just three of those plays. If the Broncos could have gained a yard or two when they really needed to, they wouldn't have lost the game.

Per: The Bleacher Report (Travis Wakeman 01/13/13)

3rd-and-7 with 2:00 Remaining

Following the two-minute warning, Denver was faced with a 3rd-and-7 from its 47-yard line. With Baltimore out of timeouts, a first down wins the game. Baltimore has the box stacked and Denver has the likely league MVP at quarterback.

What is the play call? A run to Ronnie Hillman. Hillman is stopped for no gain, giving the Ravens the last-gasp effort they were looking for. Moments later, Jacoby Jones unbelievably gets behind the Broncos secondary and catches a 70-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 35.

:31 Seconds Remaining, 2 Timeouts

Even after the score was tied, the ensuing kickoff led to a touchback. From their 20-yard line, the Broncos had 31 seconds on the clock and two timeouts in their pocket. Again, you have Manning on your team. Not only that, but one of the strongest kickers in the NFL who had twice kicked 59-yard field goals in his career. Why not try to move the ball into field-goal range? Instead, Denver opts to take a knee and head into overtime.

Conservative Play-Calling in Overtime

Hampered by the fact that the running game was missing Moreno, the play-calling got very conservative. In overtime, Manning never threw the ball more than 11 yards down the field. The Broncos ran 13 plays in overtime, and Ronnie Hillman touched the ball on seven of those. An incomplete pass was intended for him as well. Where was Demaryius Thomas? Where was Eric Decker? The two receivers, who both had over 1,000 yards receiving, were barely looked at when the game was on the line.

When the game was on the line, with their $96 million man under center, Denver was too tentative and played scared.

My Conclusion:

If the offense had played aggressive like they had all year, the TD to Jones would be a moot point (or not have happened at all) and the Broncos win the game. Constantly running the ball with your 3rd string RB (Hillman) with the game on the line is on the offense, NOT the defense.

Edited by Rileyrott

Bal @ Den Jan 12, 2013 AFC Divisional Playoff Game:

Per: The Denver Post (Jeff Legwold 01-13-13)

The Broncos offense faced six situations of third-and-2 or less when they tried to run the ball. They had one third-and-2 and five third-and-1s.They converted just three of those plays. If the Broncos could have gained a yard or two when they really needed to, they wouldn't have lost the game.

Per: The Bleacher Report (Travis Wakeman 01/13/13)

3rd-and-7 with 2:00 Remaining

Following the two-minute warning, Denver was faced with a 3rd-and-7 from its 47-yard line. With Baltimore out of timeouts, a first down wins the game. Baltimore has the box stacked and Denver has the likely league MVP at quarterback.

What is the play call? A run to Ronnie Hillman. Hillman is stopped for no gain, giving the Ravens the last-gasp effort they were looking for. Moments later, Jacoby Jones unbelievably gets behind the Broncos secondary and catches a 70-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 35.

:31 Seconds Remaining, 2 Timeouts

Even after the score was tied, the ensuing kickoff led to a touchback. From their 20-yard line, the Broncos had 31 seconds on the clock and two timeouts in their pocket. Again, you have Manning on your team. Not only that, but one of the strongest kickers in the NFL who had twice kicked 59-yard field goals in his career. Why not try to move the ball into field-goal range? Instead, Denver opts to take a knee and head into overtime.

Conservative Play-Calling in Overtime

Hampered by the fact that the running game was missing Moreno, the play-calling got very conservative. In overtime, Manning never threw the ball more than 11 yards down the field. The Broncos ran 13 plays in overtime, and Ronnie Hillman touched the ball on seven of those. An incomplete pass was intended for him as well. Where was Demaryius Thomas? Where was Eric Decker? The two receivers, who both had over 1,000 yards receiving, were barely looked at when the game was on the line.

When the game was on the line, with their $96 million man under center, Denver was too tentative and played scared.

My Conclusion:

If the offense had played aggressive like they had all year, the TD to Jones would be a moot point (or not have happened at all) and the Broncos win the game. Constantly running the ball with your 3rd string RB (Hillman) with the game on the line is on the offense, NOT the defense.

Not sure what your point is. Play calling isn't about the OC interviewing on Wednesday or not. Hell, with Denver it wasn't even about the OC period. We all know it's Manning running that offense, and he runs whatever play HE determines, not some donkey in a headset.

I would think teams looking for coaches would be more impressed with candidates who followed through with their obligations to the teams they already work for, before they start taking trips to apply for other jobs.

Candidates still in the play-offs don't travel to interview. The interviews are at the play-off team management's choice of time and place. The interviewee takes personal time off. The hiring team's interviewers travel to the interviewee, not the other way around.

Candidates still in the play-offs don't travel to interview. The interviews are at the play-off team management's choice of time and place. The interviewee takes personal time off. The hiring team's interviewers travel to the interviewee, not the other way around.

aaaaaaaaaaaand.... /thread

• Like 1

I already knew and understood the above but, if I owned an NFL team still alive in the playoffs..I gotta say I'd want my coaches entirely focused on this weeks game rather than whether the Browns or Titans are making him a better offer.

I don't know how the rule could ever change though I guess

if I owned an NFL team still alive in the playoffs..I gotta say I'd want my coaches entirely focused on this weeks game

And if you weren't, you'd rather be allowed free reign to interview and fill the position as soon as possible before other teams can steal your guy from you.

The owners all talked about it, voted on it, and reached a compromise on it. Not sure why this is even an issue here.

• Like 1

And if you weren't, you'd rather be allowed free reign to interview and fill the position as soon as possible before other teams can steal your guy from you.

The owners all talked about it, voted on it, and reached a compromise on it. Not sure why this is even an issue here.

"I don't know how the rule could ever change though"....the part that you edited out of my post.. pretty much sums up what you just typed, no?

Just seems like a bad deal for the teams still alive..that's all. Geez

Wasn't aware of that, thanks..

I don't think that the time for the interview is the issue, it's more the fact that it is a major distraction.

Any job interview that I have had in my professional career has consumed my thoughts for the days leading up to it, and my profession is no where near as high pressure as NFL coaching.

It is what it is, but a better solution would be to have a blackout on coaching hires until after the SB.

There are rules when you can and can't interview. The Vikings have not granted a few of their coaches to interview and they aren't even in the playoffs. I guess a new HC will not be permitted to bring his own staff in. If the Vikings have assistants that weren't granted interviews and yet a new HC doesn't want him, well that would be a bigger issue.

Was just named coach of Tennessee. Kind of curious as to why he didn't get, or didn't take, the Lions job.

Too much pressure to win immediately. They have all the pieces and it's a winnable division. Guess he doesn't have the stones so he'll head to a place with limited exposure and no real expectations.