[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UNOFFICIAL, non-GAMEDAY BRONCOS vs SEAHAWKS THREAD

BA Baracus

The Broncos OL has looked downright studly this season. Talk about unsung heroes.

And while we're on the subject, the Broncos' D has tightened up too, despite a rash of injuries. Can you imagine if Von Miller was healthy all season? Their ability to clog up the middle (see: Knighton, Terrence) may just be the determining factor.

Dead on here. OL has been great all year. D has been terrific at runstopping for the past month or so.

Yes, their Oline has been great but how much of that is because Manning always finds the open man? What happens if there is not an open man? Will he just throw it away in the Super Bowl or just step up in the pocket and try to buy his receivers some time. It's all about the coverage, something the Hawks can dominate.

Yes, their Oline has been great but how much of that is because Manning always finds the open man? What happens if there is not an open man? Will he just throw it away in the Super Bowl or just step up in the pocket and try to buy his receivers some time. It's all about the coverage, something the Hawks can dominate.

Seattle D allowed a 62.73% completion percent on short passes to the right and 70.91% on short passes in the middle of the field...let's not act like Manning won't be able to complete passes...even Kaep was able to complete 14 of 24 passes and he's a.) not near the QB Manning is and b.) doesn't have the weapons Manning does. Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

Demaryius vs Sherman is gonna be good. DT is a helluva lot more man to handle than Crabtree. Sherman is very good and very smart, but I'd say DT has a slight edge when it comes to pure athleticism.

• Like 1

I predict Manning is going to dink and dunk like he did in the 2007 Super Bowl(which he won). I think Seattle's secondary is too good to find much vertical success, and the longer the routes the more likely the Seahawk pass rush can pressure Manning. Manning doesn't like to get hit, and he'll get the ball out fast. You can pass on Seattle's linebackers with quick throws and all you need is one or two to get broken long with yards after the catch. So I don't expect more than a handful of vertical throws, just to keep things honest, lots and lots of slants/quick hitters, and maybe Julius Thomas sneaking behind linebacker coverage for a big play or two. Seattle's offensive game plan is going to be simply to run the ball down Denver's throat and hope to eat up lots and lots of clock, keeping Manning off the field.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 1

I predict Manning is going to dink and dunk like he did in the 2007 Super Bowl(which he won). I think Seattle's secondary is too good to find much vertical success, and the longer the routes the more likely the Seahawk pass rush can pressure Manning. Manning doesn't like to get hit, and he'll get the ball out fast. You can pass on Seattle's linebackers with quick throws and all you need is one or two to get broken long with yards after the catch. So I don't expect more than a handful of vertical throws, just to keep things honest, lots and lots of slants/quick hitters, and maybe Julius Thomas sneaking behind linebacker coverage for a big play or two. Seattle's offensive game plan is going to be simply to run the ball down Denver's throat and hope to eat up lots and lots of clock, keeping Manning off the field.

Yes, Manning will throw to receivers open for a brief moment because of an illegal pick play at least 20 times in this game. They ran pick after pick after pick last week, and it wasn't called once. Shouldn't the rule be changed to allow them if the rule isn't ever going to be enforced?

Nope, because it is Manning, then it is not cheating but brilliance.

How does Manning manage to pick a DB from within the pocket?

Also, the pats run more illegal picks than any offense in the game. Hoodie and Gorgeous practically invented the crossing route pick.

• Like 1

Yes, Manning will throw to receivers open for a brief moment because of an illegal pick play at least 20 times in this game. They ran pick after pick after pick last week, and it wasn't called once. Shouldn't the rule be changed to allow them if the rule isn't ever going to be enforced?

Maybe they should get rid of defensive holding since the seahawks get away with that on every passing play.

• Like 2

Should be interesting when DEN passes. SEA lead the league in both defensive holding and defensive pass interference calls. DEN lead the league in offensive pass interference calls.

Pretty obvious that both teams like to push the envelope in regard to passing rules. Maybe a prop bet on the over for penalties might be in order...

:thinking:

As others have mentioned, Denver's O-Line has improved throughout the year. In the first month or so of the season, Manning was getting more pressure (and seemingly taking more hits). The Indy game comes to mind as an obvious example, but even against the likes of Jacksonville, defenses were getting to him more than they have lately. I'm not sure when that changed (it was most likely gradual, and not an overnight change), but I really noticed it in the first KC game. Not only was the protection better, but Manning was holding on to the ball less. In fact, in the KC game specifically, they made mention of the incredible average time between snap and pass (something like 2.3 seconds, if I remember correctly).

That said, Seattle's D is numero uno, at least overall. I'm not sure where they rank, in terms of pressuring the QB, specifically (there are obviously various ways to measure that), but I'm guessing they're near the top. So, if I had to bet/guess, I would say that they will be able to get to him, sooner or later. Will it be like the Indy game (where Mathis' ability to wreak havoc on Manning essentially changed the outcome of the game)? Probably not, but if it is, I think Seattle wins the game. If, on the other hand, Manning is able to proceed as he NORMALLY does (unscathed), I like Denver by 7-10 points. Seattle's secondary isn't an issue, if Manning has time to throw. He'll find someone open, if that's the case. So, yeah, I think Seattle has to get to Manning (and force at least a couple of turnovers) to win the game.

The other area that Denver has really improved (again, as was previously mentioned) is on defense. Early in the year, I posted (a few times) about the fact that Denver wasn't really stopping anybody. Case in point, Jacksonville (again). The Broncos were on a record-setting pace, in terms of offense, but they were doing so while giving up about 28 PPG. That's changed, as of late, taking some of the pressure off of Manning and the offense.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to what it normally does... Who can force (or who can avoid) turnovers, and who capitalizes on chances (in the red zone, in particular). The team that scores more TD's than FG's should win. I like Denver by the slightest of margins, but I think it could go either way.

It will be interesting to see if weather has much of an impact in this game. Not just Manning, but the speed of the defenses as well. Plus, considering how much Seattle's defense likes to play physical football, I'm not so sure some bad weather won't help the offense (maybe on both sides).

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

This is the 19th time that a regular-season scoring champ has reached the Super Bowl. The previous 18 teams were 10-8 in the title game

This is the 16th time that the defense that allowed the fewest points in the NFL has made the Super Bowl since the merger. The previous 15 teams went 12-3 in those Super Bowls.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/83264/top-stats-to-know-super-bowl-matchup

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304027204579332872193997670

"The Broncos scored 38.9 points per game against defenses that otherwise allowed 23 per game, a 69% improvement. Seattle allowed 14.4 points against offenses that other defenses allowed to score 22.8 points per game, or 36.8% fewer points."

http://online.wsj.co...332872193997670

"The Broncos scored 38.9 points per game against defenses that otherwise allowed 23 per game, a 69% improvement. Seattle allowed 14.4 points against offenses that other defenses allowed to score 22.8 points per game, or 36.8% fewer points."

Meh... Doesn't tell me much, other than that it's easier to break 50 in today's NFL, than it is to hold your opponent to negative points. In other words, the amount by which Denver could exceed that average is technically unlimited. Meanwhile, Seattle's opportunity to exceed (or in this case, stay below) their respective average is very limited.

• Like 2

Meh... Doesn't tell me much, other than that it's easier to break 50 in today's NFL, than it is to hold your opponent to negative points. In other words, the amount by which Denver could exceed that average is technically unlimited. Meanwhile, Seattle's opportunity to exceed (or in this case, stay below) their respective average is very limited.

It still adds context to #1 O and #1 D.

• Like 1

It still adds context to #1 O and #1 D.

Gopher is right. 14.4 is an extremely small number in terms of PPG. Since teams can't score negative points there is a limited amount of improvement a team can make on that. I think it's a pretty limited comparison in any context.