[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL announces winning bid for Thursday Night Football

stevegrab

Not sure how many were aware of this going on, but the NFL opened up bidding to their various partners for the Thursday night games being shown currently on NFL Network. Well the winning bid was announced today, and it goes to CBS.

Basically the highlights are

• CBS will show the games the first half of the year, also simulcast on NFLN
  • NFLN will have the games in the second half, including 2 late season games on Saturday (remember those from years ago)
  • CBS will produce all these games, using their top announcing / production crew (Jim Nantz & Phil Simms will call those game as a well as a Sunday game)

http://nflcommunicat...otball-package/

Edited by stevegrab

Not sure why the hate for Simms. I swear I rarely see anyone actually post that they like any of the commentators. IMO there are definitely worse options over Simms.

I actually liked Mike Mayock calling the Thursday games. Simms just has that jackassness about him.

Not sure why the hate for Simms. I swear I rarely see anyone actually post that they like any of the commentators. IMO there are definitely worse options over Simms.

he's montone and stale. Much like Aikman. He has a voice made for golf and puts me to sleep

He's the football "expert" and he offers no substance. He doesn't give you any insight and spews out cliches. I've heard him interviewed about the game and he talks intelligently about it, but as soon as he gets in the booth he turns into a vanilla broadcaster: "the offense needs to protect the football today in order to be successful". Well isn't that something we all didn't all ready know. A previous poster mentioned Mike Mayock, and I prefer listening to him. While his announcing skills aren't all that great, at least he tries hard to teach people about the game and why player X is good at this or not good at that. He has a tendancy to fall into his draft scouting schtick which is out of place at times, but even then it at least has some substance to it. Color commentators generally fall into two categories in football: 1) annoying John Madden types who mimic his later broadcasting career when he was more of a cartoon character than a broadcaster and 2) guys like Simms who have tons of insight and knowledge about the game but never share it and instead go to the football cliche bag every few minutes.

• Like 1

I like some announcers over others, I don't find any so bad that I cannot stand watching game they do or have to mute it. I'm watching a game, the announcers are very secondary to me. Aikman in IMHO is worse than Simms, annoying and just too much of a homer. But when I hear Aikman is doing a game I don't respond " :sick: more Aikman"

As for Mayock his "Brrrraadddddd....." with so many comments is very annoying. Only announcer I've heard to constantly refers to his partner by name. You're talking to millions watching on TV, not sitting on your couch watching the game with your buddy Brad. So I won't miss him doing NFL games. Also half his comments are all about what that "kid" did at the combine.

The NFL/sports broadcast board I frequent has many guys ragging on announcers. One guys favorite is another guys worst.

Many disliked Madden (like sausagekingchi), particularly later in his career. He was always one of my favorites. Many hate Gruden, I like him.

Edited by stevegrab

The Simms haters will enjoy this, the new arrangement will mean that crew will take some Sunday's off. Could be they only do the big late games on double header weekends. So if you skip TNF (many say the games are horrible, bad matchups, teams are short on prep/rest) you' could actually have less Simms/Nantz. :)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/06/nantz-simms-will-get-some-sundays-off/

Edited by stevegrab

I like some announcers over others, I don't find any so bad that I cannot stand watching game they do or have to mute it. I'm watching a game, the announcers are very secondary to me. Aikman in IMHO is worse than Simms, annoying and just too much of a homer. But when I hear Aikman is doing a game I don't respond " :sick: more Aikman"

As for Mayock his "Brrrraadddddd....." with so many comments is very annoying. Only announcer I've heard to constantly refers to his partner by name. You're talking to millions watching on TV, not sitting on your couch watching the game with your buddy Brad. So I won't miss him doing NFL games. Also half his comments are all about what that "kid" did at the combine.

The NFL/sports broadcast board I frequent has many guys ragging on announcers. One guys favorite is another guys worst.

Many disliked Madden (like sausagekingchi), particularly later in his career. He was always one of my favorites. Many hate Gruden, I like him.

I can totally see why people would be annoyed by Mayock. The guy has very little broadcasting experience and it shows. You still get more actual intelligent football thoughts out of him than you get from any of the national guys.

Once upon a time Madden was an awesome announcer, but as his popularity grew he suddenly became a caricature of himself. He kept looking for reasons to draw on his screen and overuse phrases like "fat guys" when referring to lineman. Late in his career he gave us such gems as:

“Boom, boom, foom, poom! He just ran right at ‘em!” - his sound effect nonsense became unbearable

“Here’s a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.”

“The defense should be expecting a run or a pass here.”

“The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook. Passing plays, and running plays.”

“Usually the team that scores the most points wins the game.”

“If this team doesn’t put points on the board I don’t see how they can win.”

“If the quarterback throws the ball in the end zone and the wide receiver catches it, it’s a touchdown.”

Like I said, he was great at announcing the games once upon a time, but the second half of his broadcasting career was hard to listen to. He developed diarrhea of the mouth and liked to hear himself talk. His knowledge certainly didn't leave him as I've heard him talk about football in interviews since his retirement and he sounds like he did early in his broadcast career.

The announcers annoy me, but I've grown numb to them so I don't mute them or anything. I once tried listening to the Bears radio broadcast while watching and muting the game on tv, but they didn't synch up and that was more annoying than the broadcast guys (it's too bad, because Tom Thayer is an amazing football announcer).

“Here’s a guy who when he runs, he moves faster.”

“The defense should be expecting a run or a pass here.”

“The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook. Passing plays, and running plays.”

“Usually the team that scores the most points wins the game.”

“If this team doesn’t put points on the board I don’t see how they can win.”

“If the quarterback throws the ball in the end zone and the wide receiver catches it, it’s a touchdown.”

I believe you may be missing the " Its 3rd & 11 if they can get 12 yards on this play they will have a new set of downs "

• Like 1

I believe you may be missing the " Its 3rd & 11 if they can get 12 yards on this play they will have a new set of downs "

There are countless others. I think part of the problem is that his long-time broadcast partner Pat Summerall became so bad (due to years and years of heavy alcohol abuse) at his job that Madden felt the need to carry the entire broadcast himself. When Summerhall began to lose it Madden filled the dead air with his "Maddenism's". He kept recycling the same old things over and over and it became a joke. By the time he moved onto the Monday night games with Al Michaels he was so stuck in his ways he couldn't seem to help himself. But early in his career, which is the vast majority of his time at CBS, he was as good as anyone I'd ever heard doing a game. Edited by sausagekingchi

Phils Simms will say, "Now fans will ask why not A, B, or C?" Then he'll answer in so many words, "here's why not dummies"

When in reality nobody is asking the question Phil, you arrogant piece of puke.

Gus Johnson is miles above the rest. Nobody brings more excitement to a game, though he might not be a huge football IQ guy.

Maybe for you, but I know people that hate him for all his screaming and over the top reactions. Not every play deserves the excitement he gives them.

Just read today that the games will be heavily skewed to NFC matchups, not sure how that will shake out. I'm sure the schedule will be heavily anticipated this year just to see what kind of games go on Thursday (some expect games that are much better than the old NFLN games, even better than Sunday Night games in some cases.)

Now see, I dont understand the Joe Buck hate. He and Troy call games pretty straight up. No histrionics, no speech impediments, no made up words. They stay in the background of the game where they belong and provide useful information at appropriate times.