[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty Dialogue 2014 (Overall Rankings)

darin3

I've made some tweaks to my positional rankings, but rather than updating those individually, I thought it would be of more value to just post an overall top-25 now.

Obviously this list will change dramtically, mostly based on where the player is drafted, but also due to combine results. So this list is quite preliminary and really just designed to foster some discussion.

So, here we go...

1. Mike Evans (WR - Texas A&M): As the NFL gets more and more into the passing game, WRs are becoming even more important. RBs are based on committee these days. Evans has a TON of room to grow after only playing football a few years. He can make the big downfield play but also can dominate physically, making him a target when you're just looking to move the chains (see Marshall, Brandon). The more I read and see, the more I like, especially given that he has only limited time on the football field. His basketball background will only help him progress as both a possession receiver and big play threat.

2. Sammy Watkins (WR - Clemson): As you can see, my WR rankings have filp-flopped at the top. I still like Watkins a lot but there has been some debate as to whether or not he's a fluid route runner. At Clemson, they just got the guy the ball any way they could and he made big plays. That's a good sign. But hopefully he's not just the big play threat, because in PPR leagues he could be a risky play (Lee Evans, anyone?). Not saying he's a one-trick pony, but he'll have to get a little more physical and prove he can run more routes than just screens and "go deep".

3. Ka'Deem Carey (RB - Arizona): If he's drafted by a team that absolutely needs a RB, I could see taking him at 1.01 in rookie drafts. But for now, based on talent alone, I think he belongs here right behind the "big 2 WRs". Carey is an excellent one-cut runner that can be physical between the tackles, while also being able to catch the ball out of the backfield. His overall production while at Arizona is jaw-dropping. Of course, being in an RB-friendly system doesn't hurt, but you can't ignore the results. His straight-line speed has been questioned, so hopefully he runs well at the Combine. But if you're looking for a guy who will fit in pretty much any system, here's your guy.

..... more later!!!

• Like 1

picking this up...

4. Marqise Lee (WR - USC): Lee had a down year as a senior but excelled as a junior. I don't think he's a stud in the making but could be a playmaker at the next level. He has good (but not elite) speed. He is athletic but not a super-freak. Good route runner, and will go over the middle. He has some big-time upside and don't see him flopping. A pretty safe pick with room to improve.

5. Bishop Sankey (RB - Washington): Solid one-cut runner that's also not afraid to mix it up between the tackles despite his size. Great first step and anticipation of where the hole is going to open up. What makes him valuable in fantasy football circles, though, will be his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. So, like Carey, he's not elite in any one area but is very good in all the spots you want a RB to be in the fantasy football perspective. So depending on his landing spot, he could jump up higher or may slide if he's relegated to spot duty only.

6. Odell Beckham, Jr. (WR - LSU): While he looks like he could break in half if hit just right, he plays strong and may have room to put on a few pounds of muscle once he's playing on Sundays. This guy's a game-breaker in space (think Percy Harvin). In the right system he could gobble up all-purpose yardage. That said, a guy like OBJ is going to come with some risk. If he puts up some good numbers at the Combine, he's going to shoot up teams' draft boards... and therefore should be on your radar once the "big 3 WRs" are gone.

.... we'll round out the top-10 tomorrow night, perhaps :)