[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redskins' name change whine (again)

BeeR

You know it's a slow time of year for the NFL when this BS arises for the zillionth time and is considered a "story"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/09/two-members-of-congress-writing-letter-to-goodell-urging-redskins-name-change/

I love "“The NFL can no longer ignore this ..." ......well yeah, actually, they can, and hopefully will.

I would have thought and hoped these congressmen (OOPS "congresspersons") had something better to do.

• Like 1

I know its a "blog" site, but PFT has become too biased in their writing. I can get more actual 'football' news reading ESPN, CBS, or any other big ship vanilla site. If you want to read articles on things like how we're all racists or that grown men need to be protected from themselves because they don't realize the hazards of football, then PFT is the place. Couldn't take it anymore so I've stopped reading there.

Guarantee there will be at least 20-25 articles on the Redskins team name during the off-season. Its Florio's campaigning time.

What I would really like to hear is Goddell's response to the question if he would "feel comfortable calling an American Indian a redskin to his face". Since he refused/evaded the question a few weeks ago I think we know the answer and that pretty much tells you everything.

Edited by sausagekingchi

What I would really like to hear is Goddell's response to the question if he would "feel comfortable calling an American Indian a redskin to his face". Since he refused/evaded the question a few weeks ago I think we know the answer and that pretty much tells you everything.

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling an African American a brown to his/her face

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling a Gay American a packer to his face

Etc...

Lets just name them Team 1 - 32 and call it a day.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Chainsaw Dan takes it on the chin. Again. Court loss #2 and counting....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/judge-upholds-cancellation-of-redskins-trademarks-in-a-legal-and-symbolic-setback-for-team/2015/07/08/5a65424e-1e6e-11e5-aeb9-a411a84c9d55_story.html

Pretty sure this issue isn't going away any time soon.

So let me see if I understand this trademark stuff.

• I can be granted a trademark for something since it passes all the tests required
  • many years later some judges and people on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board can decide that my tradmark is offensive, and therefore shouldn't be allowed (wouldn't pass the test now) and therefore my trademark gets yanked

Is everybody ok with that, retroactive revocation of your rights because something is now considered to be offensive? Next up, Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Seminoles and then plenty of others.

Why don't we just give the government the authority to force private busineses to change offensive names, that is where this is headed.

• I can be granted a trademark for something since it passes all the tests required

• many years later some judges and people on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board can decide that my tradmark is offensive, and therefore shouldn't be allowed (wouldn't pass the test now) and therefore my trademark gets yanked

Is everybody ok with that, retroactive revocation of your rights because something is now considered to be offensive? Next up, Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Seminoles and then plenty of others.

Why don't we just give the government the authority to force private busineses to change offensive names, that is where this is headed.

This isn't about rights. It's about not having an name that is offensive to many people.

As for the other team names, I don't believe any of those you listed falls into the same category.

• Like 1

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling an African American a brown to his/her face

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling a Gay American a packer to his face

Etc...

Lets just name them Team 1 - 32 and call it a day.

Lol, maybe if it was the Green Bay Fudge Packers that would be a problem.

Lol, maybe if it was the Green Bay Fudge Packers that would be a problem.

Slang and symbols are all defined in the eye of the beholder. At this point it doesn't have to be literal or exact, it just has to be interpreted as offensive in the mainstream media. Then its all protesting, shaming, and cries for censorship.

This isn't about rights. It's about not having an name that is offensive to many people.

As for the other team names, I don't believe any of those you listed falls into the same category.

And who gets to decide what is offensive, and that the team name is related to that offensive term. They may not fall into the same category, but surely some Native American (or whitebread do-gooder) somewhere is offended by it.

Slang and symbols are all defined in the eye of the beholder. At this point it doesn't have to be literal or exact, it just has to be interpreted as offensive in the mainstream media. Then its all protesting, shaming, and cries for censorship.

However, in the Washington case, it IS literal and exact.

So there's that.

However, in the Washington case, it IS literal and exact.

So there's that.

Yes, many now consider Redskins offensive slang. However there is much debate about the terms original meaning (some say skin color, others say it referenced the color of a pigment/paint certain tribe(s) used) and the team was named Redskins over 80 years ago because Marshall wanted to avoid any confusion with the Braves/Indians baseball teams while keeping the native connotations the team was using originally (Braves) after moving to Fenway Park.

Listen, if people are offended then they do not have to follow that team or buy its products. That is their freedom and right as a consumer. Forcing a change through government though is only promoting the loss of freedoms/rights and the increase of censorship.

• Like 1

the team was named Redskins over 80 years ago because Marshall wanted to avoid any confusion with the Braves/Indians baseball teams while keeping the native connotations the team was using originally (Braves) after moving to Fenway Park.

It's also pretty well-documented that Marshall was a blatant racist. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he picked a name with racist connotations and didn't think twice about it.

How about Yankees for people in the South?

I know, lets vote on every team name in the country and the majority decides. (to be read with sarcasm)

Edited by deaconjohn06

Actually, "Redskin" comes from the color a native American would turn after he had been scalped. We've taken everthing else from native Americans, might as well take their dignity too. I think, since the team is from Washington, some acceptable names could be: Liars, Thieves, or Politicans.