[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns tried to trade for Harbaugh?

rajncajn

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/report-harbaughs-future-with-49ers-remains-uncertain/

Report: Harbaugh’s future with 49ers remains uncertain

Friday’s report from Mike Florio that the Browns and 49ers nearly completed a trade that would have placed current 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in the same division as his brother was a clear sign that earlier signs of uneasiness in the relationship between Harbaugh and the Niners haven’t gone away completely.

That's pretty insane considering how well they've done since he's been there. Maybe he's just as much an ass off the field as he appears to be on it? :shrug:

stop trolling the 49er fans. he's the shizzle

Ok, as long as you stop trolling me? :shrug:

Dude is like a cartoon character out there at times. Great coach, but I could see how he could not get along with some people. :lol: Gotta be some reason they would consider it. Last time this happened was when Gruden was traded to the Bucs and we all know that was mainly because Davis and he couldn't see eye-to-eye about how to run the offense.

Ok, as long as you stop trolling me? :shrug:

Dude is like a cartoon character out there at times. Great coach, but I could see how he could not get along with some people. :lol: Gotta be some reason they would consider it. Last time this happened was when Gruden was traded to the Bucs and we all know that was mainly because Davis and he couldn't see eye-to-eye about how to run the offense.

He is a cartoon character. Not sure why the Browns would do this other than the fact they've done what appear to be some stupid things lately..maybe they're just on a roll

I thought you couldn't trade for a coach anymore after the Gruden trade.

I didn't think it was actually a trade, it was technically them allowing him to discuss contract terms and, after agreeing, the Raiders let him out of the existing contract that had one year left on it in exchange for a pick. That could be what this is.

Yeah, I have a feeling Harbaugh is hard to work with. Anybody remember this:

During NBC's pregame show on Oct. 20, 1997 analyst Jim Kelly questioned Harbaugh's propensity for injury, calling him a "baby" who "overdramatized" his injuries.

Harbaugh heard about it, and what do you know—Kelly and NBC were in San Diego for Indianapolis's next game. The Saturday before the game, Kelly was at the Colts' hotel for a production meeting. Harbaugh reportedly poked his head into the room and told Kelly he wanted to talk. The two went into another room and exchanged punches, in a scuffle that lasted about 30 seconds, according to the Daily News.

Kelly was fine. Harbaugh broke a bone, and was placed on the non-football injury list, meaning he'd have to forfeit his salary ($147,000 a week) until he was healthy. He returned on Nov. 23.

"I consider this something personal between Jim Kelly and I," Harbaugh told the AP, wearing a protective wrap on his hand. "We settled things."

Did he regret anything?

"I regret that I have a crack in one of my bones in my hand."

Harbaugh would later tell ESPN News that "I felt I had to do something since my toughness was being questioned."

Curiously, a few days later, Kelly would deny the entire incident, saying no punches were thrown and he had no idea how Harbaugh got hurt. That didn't fly, since Harbaugh had already copped to it and witnesses had confirmed the punches.

I didn't think it was actually a trade, it was technically them allowing him to discuss contract terms and, after agreeing, the Raiders let him out of the existing contract that had one year left on it in exchange for a pick. That could be what this is.

I don't see the difference between that and a trade. I read earlier today that two teams circumvented the trade rules a few years after the Gruden trade-thingy, so maybe the rule doesn't really mean anything.

Not sure why the Browns would do this

Harbaugh coached San Diego to 11-1 in his second season. He then turned Stanford's program around and brought them to a BCS bowl game. He took San Francisco, an organization that hadn't had a winning season in 8 years, one play away from a SB championship and to 3 straight NFC championships games since he's been there.

Yea, I couldn't imagine why the Browns would want Harbaugh.

• Like 1

it's not just PFT. Here is what Jason La Canfora from CBS has to say:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24455137/jim-harbaughs-relationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC championship game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

SB Nation also says there is a huge rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers front office.

http://www.sbnation....nd-browns-trade

And if the 49ers don't want him, I'm sure a lot of other teams would be happy to have him.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

SB Nation also says there is a huge rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers front office.

http://www.sbnation....nd-browns-trade

And if the 49ers don't him, I'm sure a lot of other teams would be happy to have him.

Probably too late for 2014 season for Harbaugh to go anywhere else. And no matter how "over-hyped" the original report was with Cleveland, it appears to be the beginning of the end for Harbaugh in San Francisco. I heard John Clayton over the weekend state he thinks that 2014 is the last season for the 49ers to perform at a championship level. According to Clayton San Fran hasn't exactly stockpiled starting caliber players over the last couple years in the draft. As a Hawk fan, I'll be sad if San Fran regresses; heck I'll be sad to see Harbaugh go. This rivalry is awesome.

I'm not buying the report, though it does seem to have more legs a few days later. But I've also seen plenty of cases where multiple reporters use each others stories as sources, backup, or just plain inspiration to write what they think.

Also read in other places about the rules made not allowing trading of picks for coaches after the Gruden to Bucs move. Wether those rules have changed, or are jut not enforceable, still seems like this would be fishy. Wouldn't put it past the folks in the Browns front office (rumor has this one tied to Lombardi), and wonder why Haslam has admitted they were doing this (especially if there are any NFL rules against it).

Either way, I think the 49ers would be dumb to let him go. He is a very good coach, they are not going to replace him with somebody better (though they may be easier to work with).

I guess the combine, and the Michael Sam story are not enough for the rabid dogs in the NFL (got to start with possible coaching moves for 2014).

Looking at what Harbaugh has done in the NFL it would be crazy to even consider to let him go, but I guess he is so much more impossible to work with behind the scenes that we can even imagine. Otherwise there is just no way any team would let go of a capacity like Jim Harbaugh.

If the 49'ers let go of him voluntarily next season I think it is only a matter of time before he is let go of again....and again.

The report is utter nonsense from what I've heard. The 49ers never once entertained this idea. Cleveland did ask questions and made some initial inquiries, but that is as far as it went. Cleveland is the team that felt this was an opportunity, but 49ers owner Jed York never considered it. He loves Harbaugh. There is indeed a rift between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke however. They don't like each other personally and have disagreements on player personnel, particularly when it comes to the draft (Harbaugh has been very vocal inside the 49er organization about what he feels has been two bad drafts in a row by Baalke).

Edited by sausagekingchi

Yeah, I have a feeling Harbaugh is hard to work with. Anybody remember this:

During NBC's pregame show on Oct. 20, 1997 analyst Jim Kelly questioned Harbaugh's propensity for injury, calling him a "baby" who "overdramatized" his injuries.

Harbaugh heard about it, and what do you know—Kelly and NBC were in San Diego for Indianapolis's next game. The Saturday before the game, Kelly was at the Colts' hotel for a production meeting. Harbaugh reportedly poked his head into the room and told Kelly he wanted to talk. The two went into another room and exchanged punches, in a scuffle that lasted about 30 seconds, according to the Daily News.

Kelly was fine. Harbaugh broke a bone, and was placed on the non-football injury list, meaning he'd have to forfeit his salary ($147,000 a week) until he was healthy. He returned on Nov. 23.

"I consider this something personal between Jim Kelly and I," Harbaugh told the AP, wearing a protective wrap on his hand. "We settled things."

Did he regret anything?

"I regret that I have a crack in one of my bones in my hand."

Harbaugh would later tell ESPN News that "I felt I had to do something since my toughness was being questioned."

Curiously, a few days later, Kelly would deny the entire incident, saying no punches were thrown and he had no idea how Harbaugh got hurt. That didn't fly, since Harbaugh had already copped to it and witnesses had confirmed the punches.

Harbaugh knocked Kelly on his can during that little scuffle, which is why Kelly denied the whole incident afterwards and Harbaugh only regretted hurting his hand in the process.

The report is utter nonsense from what I've heard. The 49ers never once entertained this idea. Cleveland did ask questions and made some initial inquiries, but that is as far as it went. Cleveland is the team that felt this was an opportunity, but 49ers owner Jed York never considered it. He loves Harbaugh. There is indeed a rift between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke however. They don't like each other personally and have disagreements on player personnel, particularly when it comes to the draft (Harbaugh has been very vocal inside the 49er organization about what he feels has been two bad drafts in a row by Baalke).

Yet the Browns (Haslam) continue to claim they "had a deal" and it was not just some casual discussion. I suspect Haslam is trying to spin this somehow, someway to make him and his team (even the two incompetent fools he just fired) look like they are the elite intelligence outfit in the NFL.

Yet the Browns (Haslam) continue to claim they "had a deal" and it was not just some casual discussion. I suspect Haslam is trying to spin this somehow, someway to make him and his team (even the two incompetent fools he just fired) look like they are the elite intelligence outfit in the NFL.

Yeah I've seen Haslam still blabbing to the press. While I don't know enough of the details to say exactly what happened (I am 100% positive that 49er owner Jed York was not even interested in this "move" in any way) I'm guessing that this was something discussed between the Browns and Baalke. If the Browns did reach out to Baalke, who is in the midst of a power struggle with Harbaugh, of course he would be open to these talks. He gets even more draft picks and gets rid of the guy who can't stand him. In Baalke's world that is a win-win scenario. So from the Brown's perspective this was real. However, once Baalke brings this idea to York it is immediately shot down and York goes into spin mode to ensure he doesn't get Harbaugh pissed off saying it is utter nonsense.

So I am speculating that the Browns talked with Baalke about this type of deal which leads to the Browns saying they did indeed have talks, but I feel confident in the folks I've spoken with that the 49ers organization had zero interest in this deal seeing that the only person who could really approve of this happening is York and he is 100% committed to Jim Harbaugh being his coach long term.

• Like 1