[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

dfv87

OK I have a daughter that likes to play sports (Soccer and Basketball). Her soccer team is pretty good and they continue to move up levels and playing more and more tourneys. Her team has a couple/3 girls that are legit college recruits (IMO) once they graduate. She understands she is a starter and decent player but she is not a college level player. The issue is the 3 kids "need" to play more competitive and out state tourneys to "get seen". That and the level we are playing wants us to move up/on due to the quality players we have. (without those 3 we would be upper middle of our league at best). Well the rest of us end up paying more and more money to travel and play all over, hiring better coaches, and overall spending most of our free time going to all of her stuff. I love that she is on a really good team but it feels like I am spending a bunch more money so a couple girls can get college looks. She enjoys playing and I like her playing with this group but what do we do? Some parents are delusional that all of our kids are going to get college looks but in reality those 3 girls carry the rest to a higher level and none or for sure most won't get a college look... So if I say enough is enough, I now have parents asking why don't I want the best for our kids?? because more money does not necessarily mean better... the 3 top players have been asked in previous years to play on "select or Premier" teams and always passed so they could play with their friends... so now to pay them back I need to pay for way more coaching and tourneys so they can get a scholarship????? I think not. Am I seeing this wrong?

I can understand your frustration. I guess the bottom line for me would be if my daughter was truly enjoying it and getting her money's worth from the experience. If not, then dial it back. See if other parents feel the same.

In order to get better, the kids need to play against better competition. Being part of a quality team is better than being part of a crappy team. Even if they aren't going to be rockstars themselves, they'll still carry the memories for a lifetime. Priceless.

THanks for the input... I guess we will keep going as she loves the group of kids and playing but I guess the parent meeting to explain why the costs are going up so much again, got to me... When they said that "all the kids would get better college exposure" I was kinda like " yeah, so what?..." My daughter hopefully is getting an acedemic scholarship not a soccer one... some of the other parents (that are delusional) ate that tripe up big time but realistically 3 girls (maybe even a 4th) have a shot at free/discounted school and the rest are just making bar stories to tell the rest of their lives... which is cool also, but to keep doubling the fees from one year to the next and that is getting OLD! (back to back to back years!)

Edited by dfv87

I completely agree with you about sports teaching winning and that is a valuable skill set... I just let this whole $$ thing really get me pissed off... Especially the college scholarship investment angle they tried to play on us... I had parents saying they hope/think their daughter will get a scholarship and she is a SUB on this summer team! I have to spend a whole summer with these people! WOW! Anyway it really is not just the money it is the weekends out of state traveling and etc... I have 4 kids and we won't go as a family as the boys play baseball and other daughter plays AAU BBall... We run to events a lot... BUt we love that.