[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Free Agency 2014

BeeR

lol

Was this a money thing? I didn't see a lot of him last year but thought he was still playing at a high level.

He dipped solidly, but it's more about being right up against the cap and having little ways to make any room. I'm sure they saw this coming and that's partly why they rode Ingram so much at the end of last year, they wanted to see at least a glimmer from him. They'll roll with Ingram/Robinson, probably draft one in a deep draft, and see how far Brees can carry them again.

Because 12 months from now he'll be 36 with cap numbers of $26.4M and $27.4M in 2015 and 2016 (he's "only" $18M this year) and a minimum of $14M in dead money pending.

Something tells me Brees and the team would work something out to keep him in New Orleans.

Per rotoworld,

the Bears have cut Michael Bush, and they're trying to trade Julius Peppers.

No surprises here.

No surprises, nope.

Something tells me Brees and the team would work something out to keep him in New Orleans.

That's going to require him to play for below market, significantly. That $14M in dead money has to be paid unless the team is going to plan a balloon hit some time down the road, at which point they will have JImmy Graham at TE and a cap situation that can afford Jimmy Claussen at QB.

That's going to require him to play for below market, significantly. That $14M in dead money has to be paid unless the team is going to plan a balloon hit some time down the road, at which point they will have JImmy Graham at TE and a cap situation that can afford Jimmy Claussen at QB.

Understood, but knowing what I know about what Brees and what he feels about that city, I would be shocked if they didn't at least try to work something out.