[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2014 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft - Commentary

irish

Thought it would be a week between picks and underestimated the time. It was 8 days.

You don't have to make excuses for having us all wait the longest time between any two picks in this mock draft, we're just happy you picked. ;)

Jordan Matthews would be the replacement for Jackson and would fit Chip Kelly’s scheme very nicely.

At 6’3" and 212 pounds, he fits the build of “big people beat up on little people” that Chip Kelly likes to reference. But he also runs a 4.46 40-yard dash and stayed for his senior year at Vanderbilt.

Kelly loves leaders and seniors (every draft pick last year played at least four years) and Matthews is no exception. Plus, his 1,477 receiving yards and 112 receptions against the SEC would look really nice in midnight green. (Borrowed)

Chargers address the 2nd most important need with Cyril Richardson who excels in both pass and run blocking and is versatile at playing both OG/OT. The guy is a beast and is a power/strength OL and has been compared to the great OL Erik Williams of the Cowboys. That's a tall order...we shall see.

Edited by tazinib1

Has the number of WR's taken in this mock draft ever happened in a real NFL draft within the first two rounds? Come on.

I know it looks ridiculous that everyone is taking WR in the 2nd, but those teams that are taking WR's need a WR and the ones that are coming off the board are really good. I could see this happening next month.

Edited by NAUgrad

I know it looks ridiculous that everyone is taking WR in the 2nd, but those teams that are taking WR's need a WR and the ones that are coming off the board are really good. I could see this happening next month.

Agreed, 100%, as does relish.

Yep. Quite a few went later than expected. I only count two reaches, and in one case it could just be a flip from a later WR taken and would solve that.

The only counter to this, though, is that there may be too many good ones, and teams might go other directions just because they know they can fix it later. Why snag Beckham at 25 when you can get Huff in the 3rd or 4th? Or Ellington? Or Moncrief? Or Bryant, Coleman, Robinson - it's absurd. No one is even talking about <redacted for the sake of my BOTH dynasty league>, which I totally don't understand. Depending on landing, these are my sleepers at this point. There are 20 guys that have the talent to go in the first three rounds in any other draft, and another 15 that would be mid-round picks. I still think 30-35 get drafted, but later than their skill indicates, and a bunch of teams are going to see some serious bargains in late rounds.

With the Carolina Panthers' 2nd round pick, I decided to grab the 12th WR off the board before they all vanished. I had a hard time deciding between Donte Moncrief and another WR that had a less than stellar college career, but has the skillset and physicality to be something special; however, with a second round pick, I think it's too risky to go with a project, and better to go with someone who has delivered in gametime situations.

Moncrief's 2013 season was disappointing compared to his 2012 season. Moncrief seemed slow at times, but his 4.4 in the Combine 40 event shows that he's faster than he may appear. Moncrief needs to develop his game, but he looks like he could help the Panthers sooner than later as he grows into the game. For this late in the second round, I think Moncrief can help us.

Edited by electricrelish

With the 2nd of 2 picks in the 2nd round the 49ers couldn't be happier with getting Richburg. Was debating going with Richburg with the 1st pick of the 2nd round, but knowing that the panthers would grab a WR, it was a calculated risk. I believe with this pick and the other picks, this fills up the needs of the 49ers. I truly believe Richburg will compete for the starting C position and probably win it. I believe Richburg is the best center in this years draft and completely satisfied getting him at the end of the 2nd round. The 49ers now filled their biggest needs (young CB, possible playmaker at WR, and a NFL ready C that will compete from day 1). Overall much more satisfied with their picks, then how I selected for Jaguars, in hindsight should of gone Clowney in 1st round and QB in 2nd.

With the 2nd of 2 picks in the 2nd round the 49ers couldn't be happier with getting Richburg. Was debating going with Richburg with the 1st pick of the 2nd round, but knowing that the panthers would grab a WR, it was a calculated risk. I believe with this pick and the other picks, this fills up the needs of the 49ers. I truly believe Richburg will compete for the starting C position and probably win it. I believe Richburg is the best center in this years draft and completely satisfied getting him at the end of the 2nd round. The 49ers now filled their biggest needs (young CB, possible playmaker at WR, and a NFL ready C that will compete from day 1). Overall much more satisfied with their picks, then how I selected for Jaguars, in hindsight should of gone Clowney in 1st round and QB in 2nd.

I was hoping he could fall to the Broncos! Back to the drawing board.

The Draft is done.

With the 64th pick, Seattle Seahawks pick Joel Bitonio, OG/OT addressing another need. Seattle was looking WR; however, the run on WRs meant that Seattle had to look elsewhere. Addressing OL was a need since losing two OL players in Free Agency.

Thanks for a great mock draft fellas! I look forward to the real one.

Now lets go through each team and see what team got NEEDS, as apposed to sexy FF picks.

Panthers' draft addressed their primary two needs: OT and WR. We could also use a CB. Doubt it goes down like this though. Hoping for a better WR too.

28. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

60. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss

Seattle addressed needs with both picks. After losing a player on the Defensive line and two offensive linemen due to free agency. Seattle addressed these needs over taking the best player available. However, this still leaves WR to be addressed. Note that Seattle passed on Morgan Moses and Odell Beckham because while they filled team needs they were underwhleming in the first round while Nix showed he wanted it. Seattle left a perfect fit CB on the board in the second to get a need filled.

32. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

64. Joel Bitonio, OT/OG, Neveda

Edited by ajh2

Cleveland has an early third pick in round three, so will look for one of the top CB's availble - Breeland, Purifoy, McGill are all good values and fit the need. Fire another shot at QB later too - Mettenberger/Savage in the 4th or a deeper sleeper late - I have 4 names on my radar.

Getting a QB was goal number one, and that was done as well as possible. With no true franchise guy available, getting Garoppolo in the second was a great shot at solving the position without drastically overpaying with that shot. I think he can be a legit franchise QB with development, and getting that in the 2nd is tremendous value. If he's not here I'm not reaching for Carr or other guys I'm not sold on.

Taking Clowney will make the entire secondary better, so not directly addressing CB or S directly shouldn't be a huge issue. In 2014, pass defense is always a need, especially pass rushers.

Getting a weapon across from Gordon was a necessity. Hawkins is strictly a slot guy, and while Cooks isn't the biggest guy around, he's a tough physical player for his size, reminding one of Steve Smith. Speed to get deep, and good route-runner that gets separation, he's going to make teams pay for never doubling his side.

With 2 picks in each of the 3rd and 4th rounds, Cleveland will be able to address depth in secondary, RB, OL, and maybe QB, but that probably waits until the later rounds with a deeper candidate.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

Oakland Raiders

The only good thing about being a bad team is you have a lot of needs, so missing on the draft is next to impossible.

Getting a LT is a huge priority after losing Veldeer, and Robinson has the makings of a beast for years to come. In retrospect I might take Matthews instead - a little less beasty upside perhaps, but how valuable is that really vs. the maturity and non-bust factor that is Matthews.

DT is a big problem, ours were pedestrian last year, and we just brought one of them back on a one-year deal because neither of us could get a better offer. Not exactly a long-term romance blooming. Hageman has tremendous upside, and even at the expense of a little bit of risk, I love getting him in the 2nd. Quality inside run defender and the ability to collapse the pocket up the gut.

With the 3rd pick in the 3rd round, Demarcus Lawrence and Scott Crighton are still on the board, and if one of those ends up on the roster that's a dream ending. I strongly considered both in the 2nd. Pass rush at DE is sorely lacking and it causes the secondary to get exposed. Improving the edge rush would instantly make both CB's better. If both of those go 1/2 I take Carlos Hyde. He's a bargain in this part of the draft, and will be a 3 down player in the NFL. If he doesn't end up special that's ok, he's going to end up very solid at the minimum.

Edited by flemingd

Improving the edge rush would instantly make both CB's better.

This seems to be the overwhelming theory of most mocks I've seen for the Chargers in the first (Taking a DT or DE). We have capable edge rushers and LB's. But our secondary was the WORST in the league last year. We need a big play threat at CB which will in turn give the DL more time to apply pressure. It works both ways IMO. When you are facing Manning 2 times a year, you need somebody to cover.

I have no doubt we go OL in the 2nd. Again, one of the worst in the league.

We are kinda short on WR as well and I expect the Chargers to find a nice possession receiver for those crossing patterns and hopefully they can strike gold in the 3rd. I'll even take a deep ball threat to help stretch the defense and make passing lanes for our RB's and TE's.

Rams can only dream their draft goes this well (barring trades). The top WR, which despite having Austin they still needed badly, still getting a top OL, and a very good safety.

Texans get their guy with Bortles - felt less sure about the OLB pick, but it was at least a reasonable one that addressed a need.

• 3 weeks later...

After jumping on the Denver 1st round pick I think I've come full circle. Shazier to Denver makes a ton of sense. Letting him roam the middle could be huge. I know he's a little undersized, but he is crazy fast. I'd love to have a sideline to sideline MLB that is also fast enough to cover. This is the guy Denver should target.

Edited by NAUgrad
  • Like 1

After jumping on the Denver 1st round pick I think I've come full circle. Shazier to Denver makes a ton of sense. Letting him roam the middle could be huge. I know he's a little undersized, but he is crazy fast. I'd love to have a sideline to sideline MLB that is also fast enough to cover. This is the guy Denver should target.

Let's hope they do something good with the pick. We need an immediate impact player.