[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2014 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft - Commentary

irish

Robinson was a pretty easy combination of BPA and need. Schaub buys us another year or two at QB, and maybe we can polish McGloin or Pryor up more.

I agree w/that. I think taking a QB is a dumb move for them here. Which Al Davis I'm sure would agree with :) Honestly with all they have there, someone I think will step forward. McGloin in fact did well for the most part IMO and geez the guy was a rook with basically squat for weapons. Pryor also looked better than I expected frankly, and Schaub may be getting written off too soon.

Well it looks like DoG went ahead and BeeR'd us, so effectively the answer is yes.

LoL! Maybe he'll make his pick as he's still around...

Well it looks like DoG went ahead and BeeR'd us, so effectively the answer is yes.

I was out andwas going to pick Bucs when I got back , then the site froze on me . Falcons were a no-brianer, but Bucs in kind of a tough spot.

But I'm not sure i should need to apologize for people monitoring draft progress at around midnight on a saturday night. :moon:

Commentary:

Falcons: Mack there at 6 is Nolan's wet dream. He really is the missing piece for a DC who can give nightmares to offenses with versatile players who can play multiple looks. Imagine that game where they made Peyton Manning throw 3 interceptions in the first quarter, and now with pressure in his face.

I'll be fine with one of the tackles, but i want this guy BAD.

Bucs > Manziel: In an ideal world, they trade down here and take maybe a QB, CB, OG later, lots of options, but with them shoring up their tackle situation with Collins, I just don't see them taking Mathews here. It's a deep OT draft too, and they don't have that glaring of a need.

Them already declaring McCown the starter doesn't speak to confidence for Glennon, but of course McCown is a stop-gap should they actualy be ready to compete and bring some excitement, but he's nothing more than a confiendece booster.

Manziel would be a hell of a gamble ofr them though. Could do really well there, but I'm not sure if they could survive if he busts.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

I was out andwas going to pick Bucs when I got back , then the site froze on me . Falcons were a no-brianer, but Bucs in kind of a tough spot.

But I'm not sure i should need to apologize for people monitoring draft progress at around midnight on a saturday night. :moon:

c'mon man, we have been busting balls this entire thread. It was more aimed at BeeR than you anyway, he's the one that set the precedent.

c'mon man, we have been busting balls this entire thread. It was more aimed at BeeR than you anyway, he's the one that set the precedent.

I guess it's because i can be wordy that people take me seriously, but I was also just busting your balls.

I wouldn't care, but when I have to use girly emoticons to show my whimsicality (yes i just made that up), then my goal is to not be taken seriously :lol:

(Except that LOL, I was actualy serious there)

I'm not sure i should need to apologize for people monitoring draft progress at around midnight on a saturday night. :moon:

You do however need to apologize to the Bucs for that pick. ;) Honestly - Manziel? After signing McCown and Glennon's promising rookie start and having so many other needs? Aint happenin - course then again things we think would never happen do in the draft every year -

You do however need to apologize to the Bucs for that pick. ;) Honestly - Manziel? After signing McCown and Glennon's promising rookie start and having so many other needs? Aint happenin - course then again things we think would never happen do in the draft every year -

Very true, things always go haywire in the draft. However, I wouldn't have selected Manziel either.

Glennon? I tend to think the Bucs are planning for a new head coach soon and a new QB.

Glennon? I tend to think the Bucs are planning for a new head coach soon and a new QB.

They already have one, Lovie and grabbed Mccown to challenge Glennon for the spot.

They already have one, Lovie and grabbed Mccown to challenge Glennon for the spot.

No, he went ahead and declared McCown the starter immediately, and they've talked about being interested in franchise QBs in the draft. They appear to be moving on from Glennon and McCown will be 35 before the season, so he's not the longterm answer either.

Like I said, in an ideal world, they trade down (maybe they do reach a little bit to fill needs), but I absolutely think QB is a need, and some team is going to fall in love with Manziel's upside.

No, he went ahead and declared McCown the starter immediately, and they've talked about being interested in franchise QBs in the draft. They appear to be moving on from Glennon and McCown will be 35 before the season, so he's not the longterm answer either.

Like I said, in an ideal world, they trade down (maybe they do reach a little bit to fill needs), but I absolutely think QB is a need, and some team is going to fall in love with Manziel's upside.

A lot of fans will fall in love with him too and some owner may want him to sell tickets. Glennon isn't a franchise QB imo but wonder if Manziel can be one.

A lot of fans will fall in love with him too and some owner may want him to sell tickets. Glennon isn't a franchise QB imo but wonder if Manziel can be one.

Glad you brought that up, I forgot to mention that ticket sales did factor into the decision. The Bucs are currently cellar dwellers in that category, and interest in the team has been waning for years.

Manziel would give fans something to be excited about, much like Mike Vick was the spark that brought interest back to a historically terrible Falcons franchise. Of course the Bucs will hope that a Manziel experiment turns out better than the Vick one, but point being that they might feel some pressure to draw interest.

Yes they still have some other needs to fill, but the Bucs have enough talent to make some noise if they had a franchise QB.

I'm not completely sold on Manziel (and as I said the gamble could backfire badly), but I'm also not denying that he could be the spark that turns a team around, or at very least increases interest as they see how it shakes out.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

I guess they could draft a QB, can't hurt to have competition. However, I doubt they take one with their first pick as they grabbed Mccown to start/compete, while Glennon gets more time to season as he didn't look bad in his first year. I think they go O-line with the pick or trade it like you mentioned.

Edited by irish

I guess they could draft a QB, can't hurt to have competition. However, I doubt they take one with their first pick as they grabbed Mccown to start/compete, while Glennon gets more time to season as he didn't look bad in his first year. I think they go O-line with the pick or trade it like you mentioned.

Could be interesting.